Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
56 ranch

Default Borgeson power steering

I have been looking to upgrade the manual steering in my 1956 ranch wagon to power steering. After several emails to Borgeson with questions regarding the fit of their power steering box, and the compatibility with aftermarket tilt steering columns, I purchased their unit. Don't make the same mistake! Their box is too large, and the shaft of the box is even with the firewall. There is no way to attach a u-joint without it going through the firewall. Talk to Borgeson after the sale, and they will basically tell you it's your problem. Talk to Ididit, and they will tell you there is no solution, and they see this problem all the time. Again, don't buy this product if you are planning on using an aftermarket steering column!
56 ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: Borgeson power steering

Check out the reviews here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/br...view/make/ford Makes you wonder what the difference was between yours and theirs,would be interesting if you could contact them. You might take some time and read this discussion,some guys have used the Jeep boxes. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...g-help.660981/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
56 ranch

The difference is that they were using a stock steering column. The problem is that you cannot use an aftermarket column with this box.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
okiedokie

Can you share a picture of what you describe?
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
56 ranch

I apologize, but I don't have any pictures to share. After Ididit and Flaming River told me there was not a solution to the problem, and Borgeson told me it was my problem, I removed the unit and returned it. Basically the end of the steering box shaft was even with the opening in the firewall. If you installed the u-joint on the shaft it would be inside the firewall, and so here is no way to install/anchor a steering column.

My only purpose in posting my original message was to warn others that this steering box will only work with an original steering column. It will not work with an aftermarket column.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
okiedokie

It does sound like it does require some fabrication. I would think that a "bubble" out of metal attached to the original seal holes would allow room for a u joint and an anchor for the column. To me it sound like you are then stuck with a floor shift. Nothing is impossible.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Pist-n-Broke

Well I can say the column issue was only a problem because You didn't know how to deal with it. I do this kind of Fab work all the time. This often happens when a home builder thinks they are buying a bolt up kit. Something you'll learn in time is after market parts Company's are in the buisnes of selling there parts and that's it. They don't care what you do with them and most phone conversations are with a counter guy that doesn't have a clue.
Pist-n-Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pist-n-Broke View Post
... This often happens when a home builder thinks they are buying a bolt up kit...
Even kits that truly are complete bolt in kits can be challenging to someone other than the original designer.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
56 ranch

It is possible that I didn't provide enough explanation, because I didn't anticipate the negative comment. It may be true that a "sheet metal bubble" could have been fabricated, but it would have to be about 6" tall in order to accommodate the u-joint and the end of the steering column. This would then interfere with the brake pedal travel. This in turn would have required a very short steering column, which might have required a custom unit. There is no way to do this in a cost effective or safe manner. This is not only my opinion, but is also the opinion of the steering column manufacturers.

I will say again I was only trying to warn others of this problem. I am not going to get into a discussion about my fabrication skills.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
okiedokie

Sorry you took my comment as negative, Not my intention at all.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Pist-n-Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedokie View Post
Sorry you took my comment as negative, Not my intention at all.
Nor mine. I was just pointing out that "KITS" in general are not as expected or even hoped for. I don't however agree that a short column is un safe. Here are a couple photos of a 51 Ford I've been driving for 12 years. You can see the steering box goes through the firewall. I mounted the stock 51 automatic column with the stock shifter working the 700-R-4. This is not the first time I've done a job like this. My number one goal on this Car was to keep everything inside looking Stock. And,, No it wasn't easy but doable. Probably less to do with Fab Skills and more with "This is how I want it".
The Wizzard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51 Vicky 007.jpg (83.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 51 Vicky 001.jpg (52.1 KB, 36 views)
Pist-n-Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
okiedokie

56 Ranch, did Flaming River and Ididit say they had no solution even if you used a non column shift column? I see you were trying to not use the original column, I would prefer a tilt column also.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #13
56 ranch

My original intention was to use the Borgeson unit with a modern tilt steering colum (floor shift). Both Ididit and Flaming River told me they had seen this problem before, and there is not a workable solution. If you use the stock column, this would not be a problem. You only need to cut down the original column and weld a coupling. Again, building a box is not practical because it will interfere with the brake pedal travel. For the record, I did not say that a short column would be unsafe. I was suggesting that a short column might become a costly special order.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
okiedokie

You might take a look at www.webrodder.com and search for 1955 Ford and see how he solved the problem. Saginaw box instead of Borgenson, but looks to be the same problem.