Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2020, 12:33 AM   #1
Brian

Default karma

I've just sent a pm to a fellow fb member who's been advertising for a part for his car. Looking at his history, he's been a member for years, never done an intro, only ever posted in parts wanted. I have the parts he is currently wanting.
I have developed, over the years, both on here and locally, a network of true friends, who each freely give of parts/labour/knowledge. That is a very big part of what makes this hobby/disease so great! Over the years, I've been 'bitten' a few times by insincere individuals, I'm obviously a slow learner.....
So I've asked this guy to prove to me he is deserving of the parts he wants, that I've got. Call me cynical, but the reality is, that at my age, when I 'croak', the poor pricks that need to clean out my 'estate', will have absolutely no idea what half this crap is, and treat it accordingly.
I just sold a fully machined block to a fellow barner for less than the machining cost, let alone the core price of the block.
I'm not quite sure what message I'm trying to put across here, it's just that to me, I feel so great helping out another genuine enthusiast, but feel bad within myself when I've been ripped off by somebody who's just plain selfish.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:41 AM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: karma

You are now officially a grumpy old age pensioner !
Pretty common these days to feel ripped off, it seems too be a very selfish world.
Dont forget to send me your address for when I send that stuff off tomorrow
Old 07-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #3
cas3

i would say you did the right thing Brian. i have been stung a few times, but still like to have some faith in mankind. wish you well
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
JWL
Member Emeritus

Just damn! You are sounding like me. I have been suckered several times over the years, when I thought I was helping a true enthusiast with a part only to find the bastard resold my donated or low priced item for a serious profit. Nowadays I am more careful.

Trouble is, now my wife will have a real mess to get cleaned up. I guess I should just let the vultures loot.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Frank Miller

I parted out a car once and shipped everything before payment. I did not need the money. I just wanted a lesson in human nature on here. Got paid in full for everything. Stuff was not over priced but fair. Some I could have gotten more for but it all went to restoration guys.
Sold the dash to a guy customizing a Volkswagen. I thought about what I had to do to make up a shipping box and told him I needed a pic of the dash when he was done. Sure enough he sent it.
Cool stories are priceless
Old 07-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
flatford8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I too, have given away parts because somebody needed more it than I. I’m am very cautious of people just wanting to flip stuff that I may give them... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
51504bat

I've given away parts I didn't need for the cost of shipping and with no added cost for packing etc. I've also been on the receiving end of free or dirt cheap parts from fellow Barn'rs and members over on the HAMB as well. I've also sold parts and shipped them before the check cleared and I've never been burned. Through the Barn I've developed friendships with members I've never met but who have gone out of there way to assist me. One member from Colorado drove a considerable distance to inspect, pick up, and ship a set of EAB heads that another Barn'r sold me. Maybe I've just been lucky but I like to think that most of us that are in this because we enjoy it and are decent and trustworthy. Like Joe from Joe's Antique Auto told me when he called because my credit card on file had expired "don't worry, I already shipped your parts because old car people are honest". One of the many reasons Joe is my go to guy for parts but that's for a different thread.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
chap52

Once I decide to let it go and it leaves my hand it is on the recipient as to whether they are truthful or just another rip-off jerk. It all comes around.
This is just the opinion of an old retired Prison Chaplain...
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
19Fordy

Brian, Our hobby needs more folks like you. Helping others is great.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
cmbrucew

I believe in trusting people until proven that I cannot. Even Jesus does not judge a man until he dies.

Bruce
Old 07-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Brian, Our hobby needs more folks like you. Helping others is great.
Agreed. Thank you for your willingness to help!
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
jimvette59

Hi, I sold a rear cross member for a 27 roadster sub frame to a fellow that said he couldn't afford to much. I payed for shipping and handling that was more than I charged him for the part. I hope I didn't get ripped off but I'll never know.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
alanwoodieman

as my fellow old Ford guys quit working on their cars there leftovers seem to migrate to my sheds, as it was given to me I let any of it go to other friends as long as it is helping get another flathead on the road. I have gotten some new members for the V8 club and some new friends doing this
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #14
A bones

I just try to remember that, for me its hobby. Those that are organized enough to handle multiple deals ( Cars Parts etc. ) more power to em. They help keep the hobby moving, rather than turn to scrap rot etc..
My past has led me to many needy types. Some really need help. My stand is, what can it hurt?
There are those that only try to get over. In this case I make the party aware that I'm not in business for them, or anyone.

Old guys rule.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
So I've asked this guy to prove to me he is deserving of the parts he wants, that I've got.

The rest of the story, please....Did the guy prove to you that he was deserving of the parts he wants that you've got? How did he prove it to you?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #16
Brian

"The rest of the story, please....Did the guy prove to you that he was deserving of the parts he wants that you've got? How did he prove it to you?"

Thing is, the individuals who post on here, after a while, one gets to sort of know them....most members on here live on the opposite side of the planet from me, and yet I consider many of you as personal friends. I have had many pleasant interactions with you guys, helped guys and received help.
This guy whom I am writing about has a total of four posts; two in 2012, one in 2013 and his current one. All these posts are for parts wanted. Who is he? Who knows...I want to get to sort of know him before I part with the parts he's wanting.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #17
Aarongriffey

There are guys in this hobby that have a white collar job and are very honest and trustworthy but we don’t hear much, or anything, from them because their ability to type a post is so poor. Usually their spelling is real bad.
I know a guy like that. He has several thirties Fords and other fine cars. He won’t give out his email to anyone because you’d laugh at the way he’d answer it.
Also worked full time for a collector with more than three hundred Ford products from 1915 on up that never posted or shared his knowledge on the internet. But he read a lot.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #18
Aarongriffey

Checking a person’s feedback on eBay is one good way to get an idea of what the person you are dealing with is like.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #19
Hoop

Brian, isn't he a fellow Kiwi? Thought you guys were tight with one another.

Seems to me he's been busy restoring a '36 Ford ... for at least 8 years.

... or do I have the wrong guy? DavidB in Blenheim?

Last edited by Hoop; 07-24-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: typo
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #20
Phil Gillespie

As a "Mainlander" I am extremely grateful for the generosity and willingness by Brian to help me with my setback. A ripoff from a gentleman on an engine purchase left me rather
dispondent and upset on the morals of some sellers on our sell system in NZ, Trade Me.
Brian certainly with his generosity and kindness restores your faith in people.
For that I am truely grateful and it allows me to progress with the hobby.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote