Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #541
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris,

With respect, if understand where the .280" of wear took place, namely in the pilot hole in the head casting, by shimming the fan to seat the end of the impeller shaft in what is left of the pilot hole in the head, the .280" hasn't gone away. Rather it now exists at the front of the impeller which was designed to run up against the back of the big brass bushing that is pressed into the pump casting (with a fiber washer in between as at the back of the impeller). There is nothing in the pump that will prevent the impeller and shaft to move forward by that .280" and depending on the fan-to-radiator clearance, the risk is that the fan or the nut retaining the fan on the front end of the shaft will end up kissing the back of the radiator with dire results.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #542
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
At this time in the static position I have added spacers and a wear material at the front of the water pump housing between the front of the pump housing and the back of the fan hub. Ok this may not be the best fix in the world in the long run. The concept is not mine it came from the Snyder's catalog where a locking set screw collar and a wear spacer. Which provided to band-aid for excessive perch wear, in Model A heads, which is what I have a severe case of!

I believe this may work but only time will tell. After thinking through my added parts. I may go back and make some improvements to the concept by tightening up the fit of the spacers to the shaft so it would minimize and wear if it gets to be a looser fit due to running wear.
Rebuilding the perch back to specs is the right way to correct this issue as that was the original design intent from Ford 100 years ago.

The approach I have at the moment is a prototype and I will see if it can basically end up doing the same tasks as a perch rebuild. Which is to keep the water pump impeller shaft forward, and with minimal fore/ aft motion.

I sincerely respect your wisdom on the 32's and value your detailed input. Sometimes students may go off in the weeds and fail too! And some of us just have to learn the hard way! We continue to learn about the old trucks!

Must work on Maple and Honey items today for the event this weekend!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #543
Als48

Hi Sugarmaker, Any chance Ford tractor points and condenser would work in the distributor?

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #544
DavidG

Chris,

I looked at the thrust collar on the Snyder's website and it would indeed take the pilot hole in the cylinder head out of the equation by eliminating any rearward movement of the impeller shaft via creating a bearing surface for the included nylon washer at the front of the pump housing casting. Given that the front end of the casting is chamfered, there is only a very small amount of bearing surface on the casting. Likely for the amount of driving that you'll be doing, that won't pose a problem as your biggest concern is forward movement of the shaft and fan, not rearward movement.

We did not discuss the needed presence of a fiber washer on the front side of the impeller as shown in the photo below from page 5-36 of the book. Hopefully you put one there when you assembled the pump. With the use of the collar from Snyder's, there's no longer any purpose for a fiber washer at the rear of the impeller as there is no longer any contact between the rear of the impeller and the face of the pilot hole in the cylinder head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 068 (2).jpg (26.6 KB, 43 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #545
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the drawing! We are almost on the same page. I had a good long talk with David Renner today on some of his work on the 32 water pumps and he also assisted on the distributor too. David Renner makes a split bushing that goes in front of the packing nut to do a similar function. I will look at that too. I re made a new prototype bushing this morning that I liked better. But still is not the best idea in front of the pump head between the fan pulley? May work for a while but probably a poor fix?

Thanks for checking on me! Weather is awesome!!! Getting the shop cleaned out (most of it) for the weekend activities.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #546
sugarmaker

Folks,
Here is the bushing I made for the front of the water pump. Not sure if I will stay with this or use Dave Renners two piece clamp?

Getting some toys moved around and outside of the shop:

Ole Blue!:

Cheryl just found a book that is titled SHOP THEORY Henry Ford Trade School. Nice book that will go out in my shop for sure! Printed in 1946!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-29-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #547
GB SISSON

Chris, do you ever sleep? I am a couple years younger than you and still working my shop and also been clearing 5 acres alongside. I am DONE by 6 pm and don't do events on weekends, well the once a year tractor/engine thing... but really you make me feel like a slacker... But, don't ever stop because you are inspiring. Gotta go up to bed now because I am worn out just from reading what you are getting done! ZZZZZZ
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #548
sugarmaker

GB,
I just talk a lot! If I worked as much as I visit things might get done around here!
Clearing 5 acres sounds like a BIG job! Load a couple pictures here for us!
The stuff I take on is usually too much and I get over whelmed then sleep and start over!
Hope things are good out there in Ford Land!
Going to push the 32 into a corner and get on with life for a few days!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #549
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris: Are you trying to stop the shaft from moving forward, or backwards . . . or both? maybe consider a collar with a set-screw type of deal. Similar to how we setup OHV rocker arms on many aftermarket Hemi rocker shafts. You could have a slip collar on both sides of the shaft (front and back of the front bearing) - and control thrust. You might need a brass "thrust washer" on each side as well. Just pondering what you're doing!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #550
sugarmaker

Dale,
This band-aid for the worn out perch keeps the shaft forward.
Got the starter back today and picked up some electrical components which will not be as Henry intended. More on that later. Thing move forward slowly. 32 will be set aside for show and tell only for the weekend.
Our son Adam, the IT guy and photographer took some random pictures while home last week, thought I would share some with you.

me as I was working on #2 engine:

I still think these doors were repainted at one time?:

Adam and his girlfriend Lexy. He let me take some pictures with his camera:

GGson Cooper and Cheryl trying out those new seats!:

So we moved the truck again to make some room and try it in a different spot.
grandson Nic used the Allis WZ to pull it out side and then back into the new spot. We pushed it the last 15 feet.

Repaired and new items for the 32:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-30-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #551
Tinker

Nice to see your moving forward! Not sure about the alternator! haha

Lovely family! You are blessed.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-30-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #552
sugarmaker

Tinker Folks,
Thanks for the comments, we are blessed with a great family!

The purist may kick me to the HAMB for this! But the 32 will not be damaged in the process. Only improvements to reliability and drive-ability!
Hope I can stay?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #553
Bored&Stroked

We will be forced to "look away" from that alternator . . . only to see the rest of the build that we all like! LOL

I understand the issue -> in order to create the necessary amps you'll need for bright/powerful headlights, you need an alternator. There are alternator "conversions" that can fit inside a stock generator, but they cost a lot of $$$ and you can't go to a local AutoZone to replace them. My 32 generator was reworked by by E.J. Whitney - 6V positive ground (they do really nice work), but it takes about 5 Benjamins to get that done.

https://ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html

Heck, getting the truck running, driving and having some fun with it is the real priority - you can always change these sorts of things later on (if you get the itch).

Keep making progress . . . we're waiting for the first drive!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #554
51504bat

Not sure why the concerns about an alternator. Back in the day all types of modifications/repairs/improvements were made by owners to keep cars and trucks running. Look at the car to pick up truck conversions that were done during the war. Farmer ingenuity at its best. My '39 p/u has a Studebaker bed on it that someone installed way back when. The average person doesn't even know that it was changed until they see Studebaker on the tail gate. So MHO and its just that MHO is to install the alternator and make no apologizes. The improvement over the original generator will be worth it AND its your truck. Looking forward to seeing it on the road.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #555
flatford8

Chris……I hope you realize we need to see video when this thing fires for the first time!!!…….we all have vested INTEREST!!……. Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:40 PM   #556
sugarmaker

Dale, 51504bat, flatford8, Folks,
I will try to get some footage when this engine tries to come alive in the future. I am just not great at getting them posted. I will try to learn!
And I do have a ragged old truck that I hope will haul me into town too! Thanks Mark!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #557
tubman

I don't think it's possible to post a video directly to "The Barn" (at least I have never been able to do it). However, it is pretty easy to post them to "YouTuibe" and then copy and paste the URL (the "http:whatever) into your post. It takes an extra "click" by the viewer, but that's really not significant.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #558
al's28/33

Chris paint that alternator flat black and scuff it up a bit, should blend it in nicely so it won't be so bright and shiny.

You have a GREAT family and an awesome shop and thank you for sharing this wonderful adventure.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:27 AM   #559
sugarmaker

Tubman, al, folks,
I will have to brush up on the you tube posting.
yes the alt would look less obvious if black too.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Will try to get some pictures of the do'ins here over the weekend. Just my little "Feild of Dreams" event! Thank goodness for all the family and friends helping to make a Fall get together in our little neck of the woods!
Some of the family are heading to the woods about now as it is also the first day of PA archery season for whitetails.

Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 10-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #560
sugarmaker

Folks,
Had a nap after the weekend events Some of the highlights:
My view now from the shop couch:

Grandson Mike, Heidi and GGdaughter Chloe:

Hay rides:

My 147 Cub and implement train:

The DoodleTug! Thanks to Jim B. for bringing this over for us to fire up once in a while!:

Neighbors brought wood craft items (Rustic Roughcut):

Cousin brought Lapidary (stone works) Items and jewelry:

Maggie had a big week end too:

Our Syrup and Honey display:

Was lots of fun! Most items are tucked in the shop.

Back to the real world tomorrow. May get some time on the truck too!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets