Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
Drbrown

Default Mysterious Carborator Builder

I'm curious if anyone knows of a carb builder who used the nick-name "Big Pink" ?

In 2012 I bought a '47 Ford sedan coupe with a 59AB in it. I just removed a Holly 2100 carb from it. I understand the 2100 was stock on 1948 and later engines.

Using a vibrating engraver, "Big Pink" put his name on the driver's side of the carb tank bowl and noted his modifications to the carb i.e. float setting, jet size, etc. I assume he noted this info because they were modifications. The carb ran very well on this engine. I want to have it rebuilt to use it as a spare.

The car spent most of its life in CA, was inherited by a Georgia relative of the last CA owner, then sold to a fellow in PA who sold it to me. The PA title stated it originated in CA.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Mysterious Carborator Builder

The 46 - 48 carb was a Holley 94 model 59.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Zephyr Q

There's a Bill Pink carburetors, the webpage seems to be down but here's the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/billpinkcarburetors/
Zephyr Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The 2100 was an aftermarket carb based on the Holey 94. The Holley 94 went through several changes for the Ford flathead engines. This is a good chart for Ford carbs.
http://www.flatheadv8.org/carb-id.htm
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:04 AM   #5
Drbrown

Zephyr Q: I think you answered my question as to who "Big Pink" is. The engraving on my carb is likely the "Bill Pink" in NC. That Facebook page appears to have been last visited in 2015.

Others: Without re-checking, I believe my Chilton Manual lists the Holly 2100 DD as being used on 52-53 Ford V8's .... my reference to 1948 and later was inaccurate.

I currently use the original Model 59 carb in my '47 .... says "Ford" on passenger side.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Ford referred to the carburetors by the model of the engine they were designed for. 2100 was Holley's model number for a very wide range of different carbs. All of the 94 models were basically a Holley 2100 of one variation or another. Not all of the 2100 models are 94s. The 94 really only refers to the ones with the .940" venturi. The 1952/53 version carb has EAB on the side of the bowl and has the later type high lift nozzle bars.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Zephyr Q: I think you answered my question as to who "Big Pink" is. The engraving on my carb is likely the "Bill Pink" in NC. That Facebook page appears to have been last visited in 2015.

Others: Without re-checking, I believe my Chilton Manual lists the Holly 2100 DD as being used on 52-53 Ford V8's .... my reference to 1948 and later was inaccurate.

I currently use the original Model 59 carb in my '47 .... says "Ford" on passenger side.
Bill is the son of the "Legendary Ed Pink" & builds race carburetors for many different racing series including Nascars cup series prior to fuel injection being legalized.
He is a good friend of mine if you need his number PM me.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #8
Drbrown

KiWinUS: Wow .... Thanks for that info. Nice to know about that father and son team. I have no specific reason to contact them .... was just curious. But by all means if/when you see them tell them that one of their less famous carbs made a happy landing in little-old Glens Falls NY. It has been a great runner and is due for a rebuild. The info they engraved on its side may help that.