Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
dpson

Default Changing of the Guard

It's been talked about for years, the oldtimers are passing on and new generations are coming into Model A ownership. There have been a lot of recent posts on other venues, such as Facebook, about people who have bought or inherited Model A's and have really no clue how to start, drive and fix these cars. While us oldtimers find it so simple because we grew up with Model A's the new folks aren't finding it so easy, especially if they've had little exposure with the antique car hobby to start with. Admittedly even learning how to start a Model A can be daunting. It's not just a matter of turning the key.

It'll be interesting to see what happens as more and more Model A's find new homes over the next few years. It would be sad to see these cars sit in people's garages because they don't know how to run them and that raises the question what can we do to pass down the knowledge and experience needed to operate and maintain these cars?
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
HD Rider

Default Re: Changing of the Guard

Everyone I take for a ride; I show them what I'm doing and why. I also refer anyone interested in learning to this site and Paul Shinn's youtube channel.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Gene F

all in all, Model-As are the easiest, and still close to cash positive restoration there is. For someone wanting to try and restore and old car, and have fun with it afterwards, the A is a great value and experience. Usable after done too.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
what can we do to pass down the knowledge and experience needed to operate and maintain these cars?
Keep answering the questions of "new owners" as they join this forum and others with patience and as much simplification of the processes as we can muster.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
Stingray70

I suppose I am one of the "new guard". I will say that one of the main reasons my wife and I chose to buy a Model A was because of the tremendous knowledge and support out there for these cars. I have spent scores of hours reading everything I can on this forum and others trying to learn as much as possible. Someday I hope to have a sliver of the wisdom that many of you do so that I may pass it along. The cars deserve it and so do the present generation of stewards. And definitely thank you for the patience!!
Old 03-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
KenBolton

The best source of information for me has been our local club. Now the question is; “How much longer will we have members interested in these cars?”
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
Curtis in MA

People who inherit an A don't know who to ask, so if they see you out driving they will ask you.
So drive more!
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #8
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
Everyone I take for a ride; I show them what I'm doing and why.
That is a good idea. Everyone I *tell* about the steps to start the Model A generally gets a laugh out of the complicated (to them) procedure. Explaining it while doing it in front of them would make better sense to the new rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

I see a very good continuation of our Model A hobby into the future.
I have been a member of my local Model A club for 49 years, and in that time:
> Back in 1962 I was a newbie to the Model A. I learned by trial & error, by reading lots about the car, and by consulting with other Model A drivers. It didn't take long for me to learn that the Model A is not a get-in-and-go car;
>There have been sufficient new memberships to keep my local club going as one of the largest in the USA;
>Clubs usually have seminars and work group functions to teach about driving and maintaining a Model A;
>Today there are more literature, videos, movies and computer medias than ever before about the Model A Ford;
>There are many more running Model A's on the road, many more car shows and parades to promote the Model A.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

There is a viewpoint that I disagree with, and that is about the number of restorations in the future. The cost of a body-off-frame complete restoration is too costly today, and it will get more costly. So I predict there will be:
>More older restorations being used as-is;
>More barn finds on the road with their barn patina;
>Sadly, I see restorer's cutting corners on mechanicals to make a pretty paint job and accessories within a budget. I hope I am wrong on this point.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
That is a good idea. Everyone I *tell* about the steps to start the Model A generally gets a laugh out of the complicated (to them) procedure. Explaining it while doing it in front of them would make better sense to the new rider.

Good idea. Or better yet, offer to go over to their house and show them. If it won't start it's likely something simple, and you can get their confidence up a bit. Let's face it, the joy of having an A is not looking at it in the garage, but driving it.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Ayers1

My Dad has a 28 Fordor that he bought when I was a year old. 58 years later I know that one day I'll inherit it but I wonder what will happen with it when I will eventually pass it down. None of my daughters have had the love or interest that I do for the A. Hopefully it and my 30 Tudor will get passed down and kept in the family.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens as more and more Model A's find new homes over the next few years. It would be sad to see these cars sit in people's garages because they don't know how to run them and that raises the question what can we do to pass down the knowledge and experience needed to operate and maintain these cars?
That's why I'm making videos – for guys like me who just stumbled into this hobby and have no connections, no relatives, no clubs nearby, nothing to go on except books.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #14
Mister Moose

I'm what might be described as a mid-timer. After a long sleep I got the car together and on the road in 1998-2000. I looked into clubs a time or two, but they were mainly social and I was in nose to grindstone mode. I was not interested in dues or meetings. I only wanted occasional technical input. The emergence of the internet only advanced the split for me between social and technical.

Today I see less club activity locally. I see more car shows, or maybe just am more aware, but it does seem like more shows. I see a fair bit of indifference when on the road, many many people have zero interest in the car.

I've seen the demise of Pioneer Valley Model A, Le Bonney Baron, and Ezold's Garage. There is no longer any Model A specific business I'm aware of within an hour's drive or more. The Model A parts houses seem healthy. Mark's Auto Parts in East Granby has a wonderful cruise night following, and attracts everything from the brass era to 4 cylinder turbo rice rockets. Their website claims largest in New England, and they hopefully will resume post COVID this summer. An event like that is great exposure for all classic cars.

In short, it' a mixed bag. The newer generations don't seem to like antique furniture, sailing, skiing, or standard transmissions. Tastes change. The muscle cars have been much more in vogue, and even the flat head V8 era is more popular now. My cousin's business revolves around '32-'50's era cars. My parents grew up with these cars, I grew up with Mustangs and Cameros.

When I take the car out, park and return, if I find anyone looking at it 9 times out of 10 it is a white haired guy. Is that due to generational reasons, or upon retirement there is an elevated interest in the hobby?

I remember building several metal models of antique cars as a kid, are those all gone now? (Anyone remember the brand that was dominant?) I see a few Revell kits on Amazon, has model building faded as well? One of the metal models I did was a 1931 Model A Victoria, which no doubt planted a seed for future interest. (With my other toys, I couldn't afford the 1930 Packard Roadster I also built a metal model of!)

Aside from local activity, nationally I see the health of a dozen Model A parts houses as a pretty good indicator that the near future is not so bleak. The internet has provided a vast library now of information that didn't exist pre 2000, that should also help keep these cars on the road.

The monster in the closet? Lawyers. Insurance companies. Who will drive these cars if insurance becomes multiples higher than it is now?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
Mike Peters

Looking at it this way, let's say that there may me less than 500,000 Model A's left on the planet. World population is about 7 billion potential model A owners. Out of all those people, we only need half million or so to take care of our babies. That makes pretty good odds that there will be enough people with interest in these cars to keep them going indefinitely. Just sayin'
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
ursus

Quoting Mister Moose, above: "The monster in the closet? Lawyers. Insurance companies. Who will drive these cars if insurance becomes multiples higher than it is now?"

Other monsters in the closet: 1) State Motor Vehicle Depts that might easily restrict use of antique cars to the point where there are nothing more than museum curiosities, and 2) carbon emission restrictions that may prohibit use of inefficient engines. Don't laugh, the State of Oregon is now considering banning the sale of diesel fuel!

Can you imagine converting our Model A's to an electric motor in order to drive them?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #17
redmodelt

"When I take the car out, park and return, if I find anyone looking at it 9 times out of 10 it is a white haired guy. Is that due to generational reasons, or upon retirement there is an elevated interest in the hobby?"

I have very few white haired guys asking about my T when I am out with it, not that most people asking are looking to buy one, most are younger then me by a few years or more. Unless there is a time crunch, I try to take time to talk to anyone that express's an interest. When out driving the T, I get more then a few waves and smiles.

Generally if we are doing an event or car show with our T club, I spend as much time as I can hanging around our cars to talk to people. I have worked on a number of cars in our club so know a little about them and which ones it's ok for someone to sit in.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
WHN

The Second World War veterans turned the Model A over to their kids, Us Baby Boomers.

Now it’s getting to be the time for us to do the same thing. The good cars will make the transition, restored, driver, or hot rod.

I think there still going to be here. Our grandson loves ours. He just has to get a little older.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #19
midgetracer

I see no problem in the future. I have 9 Model As and 4 children. They each have spoken up for 2 cars. One grandson has rebuilt an engine and is slowly restoring his first Model A. One son has 2 Model As and a 48 Ford pickup of his own that he has rebuilt with a bit of help from me. Two grandsons share the other of my Model As. My daughter has learned to drive in a Model A (including parallel parking). When the family gets together we have our own parade. My parts stash will keep these cars running for years. When my grandson drives a Model A to high school his friends all crowd around. I see no problem with Model As surviving many more generations. people have been talking about the end of old cars for decades. I don' see it happening.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #20
JayJay

I'm a bit of a retread - I played around with As when I was in high school in the late '60s, then had a hiatus for close to 50 years until I got back in it a bit over a year ago. Both of my kids have flown the coop and established themselves as healthy, productive young adults (great for them) but that means they never had the chance to grow up around As. I'm hoping that at least one of my cars ends up with one of the kids. My goal is to drive the Town Sedan from California to Wisconsin, where my daughter and her family live (ironically, the car came to California from a town in Wisconsin about an hour from where they live now). I'm hoping that will stimulate an interest from at least my son-in-law, and perhaps the grandkids too. Maybe I'll even get some interest from the kids in the neighborhood, that would be cool too.

Even if there's no family to share with, I'm having a ball with the As, with this forum and with the local club. As far as the club, there are a few folks younger than me but not too many. Clubs in general are seeing a "graying" of their members. Maybe there are just too many other things competing for people's attention, but driving these lovable old cars around never fails to get me a wave or smile. There's nothing like a good enthusiastic ahooga to get people laughing.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-06-2021 at 11:38 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #21
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Looking at it this way, let's say that there may me less than 500,000 Model A's left on the planet. World population is about 7 billion potential model A owners. Out of all those people, we only need half million or so to take care of our babies. That makes pretty good odds that there will be enough people with interest in these cars to keep them going indefinitely. Just sayin'
I always like your opinions and read em all.

I’ve seen that 500,000 figure before. I personally will be damned surprised if there is 100,000 road worthy.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #22
redmodelt

Over the years of reading these kinds of posts, one thing that has kinda stands out; the divide between the ones who shared the car with the family and ones where it was "DADs car" and no one is allowed to touch it and what happens to them later. Not talking about ones that got them later in life or had one before the kids were old enough to know anything and was sold, but the ones that got the family involved while owning it seem to be the ones that might have someone to carry on its ownership in the family.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
There is a viewpoint that I disagree with, and that is about the number of restorations in the future. The cost of a body-off-frame complete restoration is too costly today, and it will get more costly. So I predict there will be:
  • More older restorations being used as-is;

• More barn finds on the road with their barn patina;

• Sadly, I see restorer's cutting corners on mechanicals to make a pretty paint job and accessories within a budget. I hope I am wrong on this point.
Bob, what you speak of has some merit however allow me to add some perspective from my side of the fence.

1) The cost of restoration work is very expensive however every restoration shop you speak with is beyond covered up. When you look at the invoice numbers of orders coming from the major vendors, they are busy selling parts. Look at the social media for sale sites, and good merchandise does not last long. While it may seem expensive to some, ...others are spending money on their Model-As!!

2) Using Model-As 'as-is' has been going on for nearly a decade now. What I am seeing is hobbyists purchased a poorly restored Model-A for cheap money which enabled them to get into the hobby, however the "using as-is" portion is about 'used-up'. Most of these cars need a complete mechanical restoration and as you say, the owner does not have the money nor the skill to pull this off.

3) Most barn-finds today are vehicles that were abandoned in the owner's garage because the vehicle was unreliable. These vehicles get purchased as a new toy for someone, and as soon as the 'newness' wears off, it is passed-off as a new barnfind.

4) Restorers HAVE been cutting corners for years. That is the problem why the hobby is in the shape it is. National club members seem to be the worst from my vantage point. There is not a valid reason why someone should be using an alternator instead of a generator other than someone is looking to cut a corner. Reproduction parts replacement in lieu of restoring/repairing an original part is cutting a corner. I could go on, but I get so tired of fielding phone calls of someone telling me they only want a driver. Henry Ford's employees never built a Show Car that was sold to the masses. They built Drivers. If we restore to what they built, it IS a Driver.

My prediction is social media is further hurting the national club's existence where it will soon be extinct in one more generation or so. To begin with, about 80% of the advice you read/watch on the social media pages regarding a Model-A is false. Then convincing someone to actually spend money joining the national club, -or for them paying for their requested information (RG&JS, Paint & Refinish, tech books, etc.) ain't happening. The level of expectation from new(er) hobbyists today is unreal.

Ironically, the Model-T hobby in which I participate in does not seem to suffer from this. Brass-era ownership doesn't seem to be either.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Mike you are very correct. I know you guys have heard me say this before, but when I was about 6 years old, my father and some other men founded the Houston TX Model-A club. I was 'all-in' on working with my dad in the garage on Model-As. When I was 9 or 10 y.o., a man at the club meeting made the comment to the members that greatly upset me. He said "Boys, we better enjoy these cars now as no one will want these cars when we are gone." I remember that conversation between Dad & I driving home from the club meeting some 50 years ago just like it was yesterday. I was panicked. Dad told me to just watch & see. Sure enough, as some of those old codgers aged-out, there was always someone to buy their Model-A. Been that way for the 50+ years now! Ironically, Model-As have always brought more money than what they did the decade before too. Restorations have cost more to do each subsequent decade too, ...and yet people have always managed to find a way to get them restored.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
700rpm

"There is not a valid reason why someone should be using an alternator instead of a generator other than someone is looking to cut a corner. Reproduction parts replacement in lieu of restoring/repairing an original part is cutting a corner. "

This is an issue that I can fully concur with. The definition of restoration has in many ways devolved away from preservation. I have always regarded ownership of my A’s as an enjoyable responsibilty to preserve a piece of automotive history, restoring and using original parts as much as possible, while still making some exceptions for safety (seat belts, safety glass, turn signals, RH Tail lights). The goal for me is to restore, preserve, and safely drive my Model A’s so future generations have a fair idea of their history. I also don’t want some like-minded future owner of my cars to ask, "Why the hell did he do that!??"

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #26
Slowmotoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
I suppose I am one of the "new guard". I will say that one of the main reasons my wife and I chose to buy a Model A was because of the tremendous knowledge and support out there for these cars. I have spent scores of hours reading everything I can on this forum and others trying to learn as much as possible. Someday I hope to have a sliver of the wisdom that many of you do so that I may pass it along. The cars deserve it and so do the present generation of stewards. And definitely thank you for the patience!!
I also fall into this category. Being “younger” (34) and having a young family, it was a no brainer to get a model a for our first classic. My son and I actually spent some time in the garage today installing side mirrors and a new gas gauge float. We got the 29 tudor last fall just before snow, so we are definitely getting antsy for warmer weather!
Slowmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #27
Mulletwagon

This issue comes up frequently. I suspect Model As will still be running long after the Starship Enterprise is mothballed. While our rides remain constant, the human species continues to evolve. Most kids no longer work on cars, fly .049 airplanes, or build forts. They seem to be gravitating to I Pods, computer games, and skateboards. Still, there are some youngsters who will take a dedicated interest in the old Henrys. The number of As out there is slowly decreasing due to neglect, mechanical decline, and street rod conversions (Oh the humanity !). Clubs will contribute to longevity, but many clubs are also in decline. The average age of our club membership is about 75 with the youngest about mid 50s. Despite it all, the As will continue due to their unique place in history and our desire to at least artifically live the way it was. I would not worry about the final demise of the Model A until horses dissappear forever.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #28
ronn

I also agree with Bob, but will take it a step further.
As kids inherit their parents cars I see two things happening, those interested in continuing on their parents tradition- for sentimentality and those that will rod or sell their parents cars.
so if we say 50% will keep the cars as is, the other 50% will either sell off the cars, for lack of knowledge or interest, or will rod the cars with larger motors.
If you dont believe me, look at the listings on ebay for example. Also look at the big sellers like Gateway who see more dollar signs in rods then original.
Finally, Hemmings motor news has brought in rods for awhile now, realizing that they would be out of business if dealing with just stock cars.
Brent you are in a very specialized business, and for that I am sure you will always have customers, staying just as you are.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #29
Oldbluoval

Ecclesiastes 3:1
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

Not necessarily waxing theological...well maybe I am! Nothing is different, is just a matter of when all fades. Enjoy it while you’ve got it!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #30
dr.j

So Pam and I were doing some Estate planning and I questioned which of my children would like what car; the 28 Tudor or the 65 Healey ? The answer from both was simple; neither car however had we kept the 78 Z28 now that would be adifferent story. Honesty sometimes is not easy to accept but it sure make the planning simple.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #31
jb-ob

Question, Why do you think the future will in any way resemble your 'past' ?

Lucky you if you have a young sprout interested in having you as his antique automobile mentor. Majority of kids are only interested in their thumbs on an i-phone.

What do the current car manufacturers all scrambling to offer electric cars know that we don't. Notice that the very first thing our new government did was shut down two major oil pipe line suppliers. How do you get the population into electric cars ?? Make gasoline too expensive to use.

Eventually the Grandkids will wonder if they can't afford the gas for Grandpa's old Ford, 'Why are we storing that monument in the garage ?'

We are very likely the last to enjoy these cars.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #32
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers1 View Post
My Dad has a 28 Fordor that he bought when I was a year old. 58 years later I know that one day I'll inherit it but I wonder what will happen with it when I will eventually pass it down. None of my daughters have had the love or interest that I do for the A. Hopefully it and my 30 Tudor will get passed down and kept in the family.
Possibly one of your son in laws would be interested in the car,great family fun.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #33
skeazle

I have a '30 Tudor which is in good shape. Restored in '09 and I have not done too much to it besides regular oil change, lube etc. I have only 5,000 mi. on it since I got it but now I fear things are going to start happening one of these days that I won't know how to fix. It has modern points and I oil the distributor but that is about it. The thing I need help with is my brakes. I have adjusted them enough with the wrench but it is at the end of the adjustment with that but I know there has to be plenty of brake pad left so I assume I have to get more out of adjusting the rods? I don't know how to do that. So There doesn't seem to be anyone around to help me out. I'm 69 yrs. old and I want to keep my Model A but I don't want to drive it without proper brake adjustment. I can learn the mechanics of what makes the Model A tick but I have to be shown and have things explained or I can't get it. So as the older guys become few and far between I don't know what I'll do. I think I speak for many that would like to get in to this hobby but it might seem like Greek to them. After I am shown the ropes It does seem easy but if I try tinkering with something the wrong way it will end up being worse than what is was before I started. Just saying anyone who has knowledge of all this always explain it well to someone who has no idea. Just don't assume. Thanks, Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #34
700rpm

Skeazle==Don’t mess with the rods. That isn’t where either the problem or the solution lie. You’re likely to just make trouble for yourself. Get a copy of Les Andrews’ red book. Good instructions step by step on working on all aspects of an A.
Available on the MAFCA web site: https://www.mafca.com/books/lesbook.jpg

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 03-07-2021 at 06:02 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #35
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I love these threads,all kind of teeth knashing about a future you can't change..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #36
skeazle

Thanks Ray. I'll check it out.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #37
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeazle View Post
I have a '30 Tudor which is in good shape. Restored in '09 and I have not done too much to it besides regular oil change, lube etc. I have only 5,000 mi. on it since I got it but now I fear things are going to start happening one of these days that I won't know how to fix. It has modern points and I oil the distributor but that is about it. The thing I need help with is my brakes. I have adjusted them enough with the wrench but it is at the end of the adjustment with that but I know there has to be plenty of brake pad left so I assume I have to get more out of adjusting the rods? I don't know how to do that. So There doesn't seem to be anyone around to help me out. I'm 69 yrs. old and I want to keep my Model A but I don't want to drive it without proper brake adjustment. I can learn the mechanics of what makes the Model A tick but I have to be shown and have things explained or I can't get it. So as the older guys become few and far between I don't know what I'll do. I think I speak for many that would like to get in to this hobby but it might seem like Greek to them. After I am shown the ropes It does seem easy but if I try tinkering with something the wrong way it will end up being worse than what is was before I started. Just saying anyone who has knowledge of all this always explain it well to someone who has no idea. Just don't assume. Thanks, Jim
Pollock Auto Restoration, I think there in Pottstown, PA. They should be able to help with any repairs that you can’t do.

Back in the day. Everyday maintenance could be easily done by an owner, just like today, but there were still dealer service and repair shops for the other things.

All four wheels off the ground, than our cars have always gone to repair shop. Yes, more money. But. Done right and not tide up for months.

Enjoy.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #38
skeazle

Thanks WHN.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #39
Gene F

I bought my A when I was 34. in 1994. For a long time I was by far the youngest guy in my local chapter.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #40
SteveB31

As a guy who has retailed Model A parts for almost 40 years, I can tell you that this has been happening for 40 years (or more). Most Model A’s are passed down, and of course many are sold when the owner passes away. Here is what I have seen in the last few years. Most, not all, of these kids that inherit these cars, are simply fascinated by how simple they are, and amazed that they run without any computers. These kids , for the most part, are eager to learn, buy all the books available, and ask a lot of good questions. Most are able and not afraid to spend the money needed to fix them well, and really enjoy the cars.

Steve @Bert’s Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #41
Mikeinnj

The future "Guard" is really in for a big change what with tree huggers proposing things such as :

A California city just banned all new gas stations in zero-emissions push.
The City of Petaluma Ca. won't let any companies build a new gas station from here on out.They want existing stations to install EV charging stations.

The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection said the state will need to phase out the internal-combustion engine by 2035 to meet its climate goals. More EVs needed in NJ. And in just five more years, 100% of all new cars need to produce zero emissions. ...

Perhaps the next phase will be to eliminate all internal combustion vehicles including antique and collector cars.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #42
alexiskai

Of all the shortages to be possibly worried about, gasoline is the most ridiculous. There will be a market for gasoline for marine, aviation, agricultural, and backup power usages for decades to come. No country in the world has even managed to pass a ban on sales of new diesel vehicles, let alone a ban on the use of antique and collector vehicles – most of which are already exempt from emissions tests.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #43
GerryAllen

Guys & Gals, I don't have a Crystal Ball. My comment is, lets get out and drive our cars, enjoy them as much as we do and hopefully we can spark an interest with next generation.
Lets not over think future problems. JMHO
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #44
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Guys & Gals, I don't have a Crystal Ball. My comment is, lets get out and drive our cars, enjoy them as much as we do and hopefully we can spark an interest with next generation.
Lets not over think future problems. JMHO
Gerry Birch Bay WA
A very intelligent suggestion. Beats hell out of sitting on your ass worrying about tomorrow !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #45
Slowmotoring

This discussion has me wondering. How many of you actually drive your cars? I dont mean just parades or once a month to go get ice cream. Im talking about actually taking the car out and going for a sunday cruise just for the fun of it, or after dinner on those nice summer days. Ya know, a few thousand miles a year or even more. I have to think that getting these cars out more for the younger generations to see and enjoy would spark interest, and if you know of a youngster bring them for a ride! Not every kid is going to turn into a car guy, but very few kids will turn into car guys if they dont have any exposure. I think younger generations will be more likely to get involved too if they see them out driving around and dont think of them as just some old car thats too old to use and has to sit in the garage because its to precious to take out. Im not saying all of us driving our a’s will solve the issues facing the future of our hobby, but showing as many people young and old how much fun these cars can be will certainly help.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #46
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
A California city just banned all new gas stations in zero-emissions push. The City of Petaluma Ca. won't let any companies build a new gas station from here on out.They want existing stations to install EV charging stations.
I saw that in the paper this morning. Petaluma is still within the greater SF Bay Area. Years ago that section of the state was renowned for hot tubs and peacock feather massages.

Anyone who thinks that making supply difficult will lessen demand should examine just how successful the "war on drugs" has been. Or Prohibition was...

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #47
DkFordor

Very interesting discussion, and probably one that will always be had regardless of the point in time

I am also one of the young guard, and can indeed recognize a lot of the points made here. My A was the daily driver of our family when I was a kid, and I learned to drive it properly when I earned my drivers license. My father has never been very technical, and at some point the car needed major overhaul. Money (and perhaps interest) was short at that point, and the car hibernated for almost 20 years as a consequence.

But having so many memories of that car, and having actually driven it, there was never a doubt in my mind that I wanted that car when the time came - which I also told him repeatedly So when the old man at some point realized he probably never would get around to tending to the A again he passed it on to me.

It is rediculously expensive to renovate it and, as some guys in my local club pointed out to me, not something that will reflect in the pricetag after renovation. But for me thats besides the point! THAT car is the point, and its not going to be sold after renovation.

Luckily, my better half finds the whole deal with the A a great idea - and for that I am grateful.

I guess the point I am getting around to is this: Drive your cars, and thereby make your kids and others interested in it. Only that way will they continue to be around as driveable cars, and not museum pieces

My personal worry? Will there continue to be skilled people around for the repairs that the average hobbyist like myself is unable to perform?

Just my eurocents - and greetings from Europe
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #48
[email protected]

If I recall correctly the antique auto hobby already dodged a political bullet some years back. Remember Cash for Clunkers.. Lots a great old cars got caught up in this.... The States wanted the dirty, polluting old cars all crushed and the politicians did not care about collector cars or their owners. At that time my state was making it extremely difficult to title newly restored cars. The state DMV workers were totally unsympathetic with any car restorer back then and we’re putting up all sorts of “road blocks” trying to prevent a restored car from getting back on the road. This sort of soured me on restoring cars from scratch without having a clear vehicle title in hand first.

Hopefully future generations and future politicians will have some love for us and the old cars....
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #49
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmotoring View Post
This discussion has me wondering. How many of you actually drive your cars? I dont mean just parades or once a month to go get ice cream. Im talking about actually taking the car out and going for a Sunday cruise just for the fun of it......
My wife and I, as well as some others locally DO get out and drive almost every decent week-end. A 75-100 mile round trip is not unusual but mostly we go around town, or out to other towns in the area. We put a few thousand on every year. I restored it, but it would drive me nuts to have it sit in the garage without use.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #50
Jordan

I have been VERY active in the Fort Worth club my entire life, and occasionally active in the Dallas club on & off for the past 13 years. I will say that in the state of Texas, we have an active young population.

The Fort Worth club alone has several young drivers (under 30) and owners. Our women know how to drive the cars. We grew about 50 memberships last year alone due to our website. We now have 303 memberships as of the February meeting. I don't think we are going anywhere. Most of the family members inherit their cars and then keep them and continue to be active.

If the national clubs want to stay active, they need to cut back on the "requirements" of a host club on the national activities which would naturally cut the costs. I am lucky I do not have children because if I did, I could not attend a MAFCA National with them due to the outrageous costs. So much is invested in judging and things of that nature. The majority of the cost goes into the minority of activities that occur at the meets. People today really want to drive and enjoy their cars when they are together. For example, I chaired the Texas Tour in 2016. We had a $45,000 budget. I co-chaired the tour for 2020 with a drastically scaled back budget due to limited activities because of COVID, and we had more tours and more things to see and the budget was under $5,000 and everyone had SO MUCH FUN. Literally, not one complaint was said.

Sometimes, simpler is better.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #51
Mister Moose

For all of you that drive your cars over say 500 miles per year, what insurance underwriter do you use, what are the policy restrictions if any, and what does it cost?

I'm on an antique collector policy that is reasonable at about $300 a year, but is restrictive in not allowing any kind of daily driving, just outings, meets, shows.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #52
Slowmotoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
For all of you that drive your cars over say 500 miles per year, what insurance underwriter do you use, what are the policy restrictions if any, and what does it cost?

I'm on an antique collector policy that is reasonable at about $300 a year, but is restrictive in not allowing any kind of daily driving, just outings, meets, shows.
I use hagerty classic car. Policy says not for daily driving eg, driving to and from work/school, But does not say anywhere that only car shows and club outings are allowed. No mileage restrictions. I guess it comes down to how the policy is interpreted. If its a nice day im driving my a to work. If its raining or a good chance of rain, I’ll leave it in the garage. To me thats not daily driving. Hagerty does have at least two different kinds of policy’s, collector car and classic, classic car has Less restrictions.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #53
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I have been VERY active in the Fort Worth club my entire life, and occasionally active in the Dallas club on & off for the past 13 years. I will say that in the state of Texas, we have an active young population.

The Fort Worth club alone has several young drivers (under 30) and owners. Our women know how to drive the cars. We grew about 50 memberships last year alone due to our website. We now have 303 memberships as of the February meeting. I don't think we are going anywhere. Most of the family members inherit their cars and then keep them and continue to be active.

If the national clubs want to stay active, they need to cut back on the "requirements" of a host club on the national activities which would naturally cut the costs. I am lucky I do not have children because if I did, I could not attend a MAFCA National with them due to the outrageous costs. So much is invested in judging and things of that nature. The majority of the cost goes into the minority of activities that occur at the meets. People today really want to drive and enjoy their cars when they are together. For example, I chaired the Texas Tour in 2016. We had a $45,000 budget. I co-chaired the tour for 2020 with a drastically scaled back budget due to limited activities because of COVID, and we had more tours and more things to see and the budget was under $5,000 and everyone had SO MUCH FUN. Literally, not one complaint was said.

Sometimes, simpler is better.

Would you mind posting the URL to your club web site? I’d like to see it.

shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #54
Ed in Maine

I enjoy the reaction of fellow motorists when I have my car on the road. Every trip out, there will be someone who stops what they are doing and watch my car go by. It is part of what I call the "Model A Experience"! One time I was at a gas station and this person pulled up on the other side of the pumps (he wasn't going to buy gas) and he leaned out the window and said "OK, you win, that is the coolest car I have ever seen". I always take a moment to give them the year and the name of the car and body style. Sometimes it leads to more questions and I always tell them how easy it is to maintain the car and how much fun it is to drive. You never can tell it may be the spark that leads to a new Model A owner. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #55
BrianH

I have Hagerty. Policy says no daily driver. Policy also says enjoy and drive the car.
1929 Coupe about $140 per year.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #56
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post

J. C. Taylor, $175.00 per year. Agreed value. No mileage restriction.

1929 Sport Coupe, $17,500.00. I think fairly insured. Restored in 1981.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #57
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I enjoy the reaction of fellow motorists when I have my car on the road. Every trip out, there will be someone who stops what they are doing and watch my car go by. It is part of what I call the "Model A Experience"!...

yup - pretty much this. Happens EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I drive anywhere; I see it as acting as a bit of a Model A Ambassador, and hopefully instilling some interest in them and potentially creating future owners.

There must be something about them - I've even seen young toddlers and dogs turn their head and follow me as I go by (and some of the toddlers point with a finger as well).
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote