Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: 6 volt, positive ground boost help?

If your battery is discharging and you need a "boost" something is wrong with the charging system or the battery.

If you want a coil 6v "boost" on startup.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/3...RoCWhQQAvD_BwE
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #22
billybronco1

Okay here is an update and my situation on the charging system. I typically only take short rides around town 10-15 miles. I have not been putting the battery tender on after every trip. As this car is new to me I'm trying to figure out it quirks. I starts instantly when cold but a little harder when hot. The other day I was afraid it would not start as the battery sounded real low when hot. Yes, I drive with fog light on for my day time running lights. The amp gauge always shows neg when anything is on even at a higher rpm. So I put my battery tender on and because its only 1.25 amps it took two days for it to completely charge again - something aint right.

So today I played with the generator third brush adjustment. It really didn't seem to make any change, I moved it about 1/4" each way. With nothing on it starts at 6.5 volts and goes as high as 8.5 volts at say 1000 rpm. Once I put the lights on it will not go above 6.15 volts no matter how high the rpm.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have all the connections been checked? They need to be clean, bright metal and I would put a little grease on each one. Grounds can always be an issue, so double check all of them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #24
billybronco1

As far as I can tell everything is clean and tight. Why would I get a good charge until there is a draw on the generator? Once there is a draw it goes negative from 8.5 v to 6.2 v
Old 11-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
rotorwrench

The voltage regulator doesn't just regulate voltage on the 2-brush B-circuit type generators. It has the cut out pole to bring the generator on line, it has the voltage regulator pole, and it has a current limiter pole to keep it from over amping. If there are no problems with the load devices such as bad heater motors or shorts to ground causing circuit breakers to pop then it is likely a problem with the generator control unit (voltage regulator).

Don't be afraid to start a new thread. Bringing up the old ones can get confusing.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #26
billybronco1

Where is the voltage regulator? Is that really the "Generator Cut Out" on a 1936, round device that sits on top of the generator. Anyway to test it?
Old 11-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Okay here is an update and my situation on the charging system. I typically only take short rides around town 10-15 miles. I have not been putting the battery tender on after every trip. As this car is new to me I'm trying to figure out it quirks. I starts instantly when cold but a little harder when hot. The other day I was afraid it would not start as the battery sounded real low when hot. Yes, I drive with fog light on for my day time running lights. The amp gauge always shows neg when anything is on even at a higher rpm. So I put my battery tender on and because its only 1.25 amps it took two days for it to completely charge again - something aint right.

So today I played with the generator third brush adjustment. It really didn't seem to make any change, I moved it about 1/4" each way. With nothing on it starts at 6.5 volts and goes as high as 8.5 volts at say 1000 rpm. Once I put the lights on it will not go above 6.15 volts no matter how high the rpm.
I had the same issue, in my 53' Merc when I turned the fog/running light on, so I chnaged the bulbs to LED's (minimal draw). Just a thought.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #28
Lawson Cox

I don't see that anyone has mentioned it yet (If they have I missed it) but get rid of that woven ground strap and replace it with a good 00 cable. I had a buddy make me a set of cables out of welding cable and have not had a problem yet. Big cables and good clean connections are a must with 6V.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #29
billybronco1

Someone said I should start a new post on this so it doesn't get lost in the other subject, good idea, thanks