Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #61
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Fustrated at Snyders (Vent session)

After such a Model A Part's Order confusion which developed enough interest for 60+ responses, seems like this one (1), single Model A Parts order could have been inspirational for making a prize winning 1930's Laurel & Hardy Movie.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #62
Marshall V. Daut

H.L. -
As a kid, I collected standard 8mm, Super 8mm and 16mm optical sound L & H movies from Blackhawk Films here in Davenport. In addition to my films, I checked out ones from the library. Occasionally there was an L & H film on local TV, but not too often. I think over the years I have seen every L & H movie that still exists. Mercifully only a few of their early efforts have been lost to time and man. Anyway, I am sure my love for antique cars was fostered while watching those flickering films in the cool darkness of my bedroom. By far, the majority of the cars L & H drove in these movies consisted of Model T Fords that invariably were destroyed or seriously compromised. One might see Model A's on the street, but the only movie I can specifically recall L & H actually driving a Model A was when they were towing a trailer in one of their embarrassingly awful Fox period movies in the 1940's. (Stan Laurel apologized to anyone who would listen for those movies for the rest of his life.)
So, I'd welcome an L & H movie with a Model A instead of a Model T! When does production start?
Marshall
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #63
pete1128

Tams is located in West Boyleston Mass. which is right next to Worcester.
Its a family run place, Joe and his daughter Joanne do it all. They have a lot of inventory, competitive pricing and customer service is top notch. I am 50 miles from there in Derry NH and if I call them before 5:00 I get it UPS the next day.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #64
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
Its a complete sentence none needed .
It is a sentence because you have a subject and a verb, but you also have two thoughts, so you need to separate them.

"The aim in writing is always to write in complete sentences which are correctly punctuated. Sentences always begin with a capital letter and end in either a full stop, exclamation or question mark. A complete sentence always contains a verb, expresses a complete idea and makes sense standing alone."
libweb.surrey.ac.uk/library/skills/Grammar%20Guide%20Leicester/page_02.htm
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #65
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Brattons gives me a 7% commercial shop jobber / reseller discount across the board . They get most of my business because of that. I tried with Snyders / Tams for a courtesy discount and they dont offer it. I had a 4K order sitting right in front of me ready to go.
Hung up and gave it to Brattons along with all my other future shop needs..

It is what it is

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #66
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
Hey, thanks to all of you for real feedback about your experiences, good and bad. I was frustrated, still am a bit, but not as much after getting it out. Venting is really a big part of any forum: venting about the Chinese, Harbor Freight, shitty light switches, Howells etc...It's what we all do to some degree. I really wanted to know if Snyder's had changed during my model A hibernation period because let's face it, my two first orders after a few years and 3 separate shipping mistakes sets a tone. If this was some place that I didn't know and had never used before, I never would have even put up the question, I would have just written them off. After reading all your responses, I'm going to chalk it up as a fluke and swallow the fact that I felt they should have eaten the shipping as an apology for the first two mistakes on the first order that they fully admitted were there fault. Some times pride can be a demerit and I realize that.

As to all you ball busters out there about spelling and grammar, I go one this site on a cell phone as I have no home computer and my office computer I usually have A-cad running with huge files and try to limit my ram usage so files don't crash and corrupt. So the words are too small, the buttons too small, the phone likes to guess and inject words not always correct for the context or even not the right words at all. Not to mention editing is a nightmare and I can't scroll up and see what I previously typed after it is above my screen view. I try, but it is what it is, so cut it out. Btw when I place orders, I do so on my office computer at the end of the night after closing out A-cad or Excell or whatever I have running.

Again,thanks for the input.
Quote:

Derek G-
Hey, Derek, no one is out to get you for your spelling and grammar, but it is easier to understand your thoughts when it is easiest to read. Typing on a phone generally sucks and my tablet tends to select words for me that I never intended. Here, I cleaned it up a bit for you. Wish I could clear up your parts mess as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #67
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
[COLOR=Black]

Hey, Derek, no one is out to get you for your spelling and grammar, but it is easier to understand your thoughts when it is easiest to read. Typing on a phone generally sucks and my tablet tends to select words for me that I never intended. Here, I cleaned it up a bit for you. Wish I could clear up your parts mess as well.
Your hired as the interpreter

Feel free to fix mine up
Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #68
rocket1

Punctuation and spelling,come on,give him a break,are we all perfect?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #69
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
I am because I'm never wrong, I thought I was once but I was wrong!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #70
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
No we are not. And I noticed some other posters in this thread that also used the incorrect word, for example "there" instead of "their", "your" instead of "you're", etc.

On the other hand it does make it extremely hard to read and understand posts without proper punctuation and capital letters. The absolute worst is runningallyourletterstogether.

Use spaces...

"Punctuation and spelling, come on, give him a break, are we all perfect?"
Old 04-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #71
Gunmetal blue2

Thank to Tom I got you model A guy and gals some new parts that they made new. Tom called me I don't know how many times with questions and answers. They do go to all positable means to help customers. I know own a 1929 CCPU AA so I am working on getting some more AA parts hopefully made. Tom told me one of there biggest problems is if customers don't see there item in the book or web page, they figure that they don't sell it. Tom told me that if you need a part call and ask. They determine by the request for parts if it would pay them to have the parts made to sell. I know 1 guy that needed the cross piece to hold the top and bottom back panels together on a pickup 28-29. Tom said they didn't have the measurements to make it, if he could get the measurements they would check with the people that make that stuff for them. They made the part. Now you can buy that part. They are good people.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #72
DougVieyra

5Window, Post 64:
"The aim in writing is always to write in complete sentences which are correctly punctuated. Sentences always begin with a capital letter and end in either a full stop, exclamation or question mark. A complete sentence always contains a verb, expresses a complete idea and makes sense standing alone."
-----------------------------------------------

there are several universal words that are extremely dangerous. One of them is "always".

for many, aim just means getting on the board - not necessisarily* a 'bulls aye', but somewhere in the closer rings

*Necessarily

ever heard of e.e.cummings ?
----------------------
But point is well takn. It is often a struggle to figure out what many people are trying to say. One of my vices has been 'tightness' in writing correct english. However, I am begginning to show progress in 'loosening up' and 'cutting some slack'. As long as the point is gotten over clearly, I am trying to 'not sweat the small stuff'.

But I still have to struggle to understand what the writer is saying in a number of posts on the FORD BARN.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #73
Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I am because I'm never wrong, I thought I was once but I was wrong!!!!
You are acctually wrong. It should be "I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken."
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #74
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post

for many, aim just means getting on the board - not necessisarily* a 'bulls aye', but somewhere in the closer rings
Aye Aye sir!!! I did hit the bulls eye!!!!

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #75
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I have never had a problem with snyders in 10 years. Must have been a big miscommunication somewhere.
John
I agree with these statements !
And, Snyders has taken time to discuss wants/needs and made recommendations for replacement parts. They have also accepted suggestions and ideas for improvements !

Spelling and sentence formation be damned, all I want is good service and parts
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #76
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
You are acctually wrong. It should be "I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken."
I'm never mistaken, like I never get lost, I only get disorientated!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #77
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Your hired as the interpreter

Feel free to fix mine up
As long as we are picking on spelling and grammar, your sentence should have started "You're" and not "Your", as "You're" is a contraction for "you are". And no, I did not go to college.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #78
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
As long as we are picking on spelling and grammar, your sentence should have started "You're" and not "Your", as "You're" is a contraction for "you are". And no, I did not go to college.
Depends also on where one was born, as in Northern talk vs Southern talk...as in, You can vs Ya'all can!!! Looky yonder comin up on passed the hen house and up the creek!! Creek, creck, brook, stream!!!...all a body of water, flowing sloftly when not overflowing from hard rains, etc etc.

Pennsylvania folk still talk King's English, they don't have counties, they still have shires and bogs so give poor Mitch a pass, he knows not of what he says but what he giveth away!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #79
hardtimes

Quote:
Hey thanks to all of your for real feedback about your experances good and bad. I was fustrated still am a bit but not as mutch after getting it out. Venting is really a big part of any forum venting about the Chinese, harbor freight, Shitty light switches, howells etc...It's what we all do to some degree. I really wanted to know if Snyder s had changed during my model A hibernation period becouse lets face it, my two first
orders after a few years and 3 sepereate shipping mistakes setts a tone. If this was some place that I didn't know and had never used before I never would have even put up the question, I would have just written them off. After reading all your responced I'm going to chalk it up as a fluke and swallow the fact that I felt I they should have eaten the shipping as an apology for the first two mistakes on the first order that they fully admitted were there falt. Some times pride can be a demerit and I realize that.

As to all you ball busters out there about spelling and grammar, I go one this site on a cell phone as I have no home computer and my office computer I useualy have acad running with huge files and try to limit my ram usage so files don't crash and corrupt. So the words are to small the buttons to small, the phone likes to guess and inject words not always correct for the context or even not the right words at all. Not to mention editing is a nightmare and I can't scroll up and see what I previously typed after it is above my screen view. I try but it is what it is so cut it out. Btw when I place orders I do so on my office computer at the end of the night after closing out acad or excell or whatever I have running.

Again thanks for the input.

Derek G-
Hey Derek,
Hm, you did good, considering how you did it ! I can't even follow how you did it without computer in front of you! Nothing wrong with a bit of venting now/then, as it drains the venom out of the wound, eh .
My advice to you is to call in orders and speak to owner(s). Makes it personal and better communication, in my experience with Snyder's.
Am I saying that they never screwed up my orders...no. I am saying that they made every effort to immediately correct any error (mine /theirs). My guess is that you are a young'un. Patience learned early , gets you thru a lot of life un-scarred. Venting/ranting is best saved/used, if at all, for serious matters.... not model a stuff, IMO.
Closed Thread