Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #41
PC/SR

Default Re: H-F class action suit

Yeh well maybe you did not get a Sunday dinner out of it, but the HF executives did. I do not expect any money back out of my HF purchases, which are pretty low, OK, but I do not like being played for a sap, even if the play is small. If you like being a sap, just keep buying into whatever promotion they keep selling.
Good for the lawyers and the beneficiaries of the suit. If you like to support and excuse this kind of con, keep going to HF, and of course keep complaining about the lawyers. Hey, what about it?

Last edited by PC/SR; 03-19-2017 at 01:12 AM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Hmmm, is it really illegal to sell a product with an expired patent? Why? Do you have source material for this? I'm really interested in doing further research. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
I think he means that it is illegal to sell an item with an expired patent IF it still carries the patent number on the item

(I have no idea if this is actually true or not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj's junkers View Post
Supreme court says yes
Thank you pj's junkers, it is true, I'm not a liar!

" In a recent patent case heard by the Supreme Court in 2009 (Forest Group v. Bon Tool), the Court reinforced the idea that patent protection is for a limited time. The Court reasoned that intentionally continuing to manufacture goods with a patent number of a patent that has expired in an attempt to deceive the public is a deceptive trade practice designed to stifle competition in the marketplace. Potential competitors may be dissuaded from entering the same market if they believe that there is a continued monopoly in place."

"Selling Goods Marked with an Expired Patent is Unlawfu"l
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #43
CarlG

I am not defending HF or their executives.

However, I agreed to a price before purchasing, and they delivered at that price. If I didn't like the price, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 AM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

However, I agreed to a price before purchasing, and they delivered at that price. If I didn't like the price, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Yup
Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #45
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

" In a recent patent case heard by the Supreme Court in 2009 (Forest Group v. Bon Tool), the Court reinforced the idea that patent protection is for a limited time. The Court reasoned that intentionally continuing to manufacture goods with a patent number of a patent that has expired in an attempt to deceive the public is a deceptive trade practice designed to stifle competition in the marketplace. Potential competitors may be dissuaded from entering the same market if they believe that there is a continued monopoly in place."

Thanks, Mike!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #46
Ed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It must be a slow day for Model A topics !
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #47
scrapiron

My local food store does that price juggle stuff all the time,,,
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #48
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

Yes, and that is what makes this lawsuit so ridiculous. It's not like H/F was selling hammers where the heads would fly off with each swing and clobber you in the head. It is simply an ad that hurts nobody. No different than all the ads on TV that sell stuff for $19.99, but wait you get a second one for free, just pay more money for shipping and handling. OK, then it isn't a second one for free because it does cost extra money.

I guess I'm smart enough to know it's not free, and I never buy things off those ads.

Lawyers are fine for companies selling defective products and medicine that can hurt you, but for a nonsense ad, just use your own common sense.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #49
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

Wow! I learned something today! Thanks, PJ.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #50
JBill

Kohl's has its suppliers attach price tags that are twice as much as they really want to charge for an item, and then put their own price on it and claim it's "half off!" Penney's tried honest and straightforward pricing for awhile and nearly went broke. People apparently want to be conned. I could name other examples but refrain.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #51
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
Kohl's has its suppliers attach price tags that are twice as much as they really want to charge for an item, and then put their own price on it and claim it's "half off!" Penney's tried honest and straightforward pricing for awhile and nearly went broke. People apparently want to be conned. I could name other examples but refrain.
People like to think they are getting a bargain whenever they buy something so when it appears there is a bargan to be had they buy it.

Just like all those store liquidators - lets say K mart is closing - store itself marks things down weeks before the deadline and thats the best time to buy things but everyone is waiting to the last week when things are 70-80-90% off. What alot of people dont know is the store has sold everything they have to a liquidation company by then that swoops in then marks the prices back up sometimes higher than MSRP THEN take 70-90% off. SO in reality you arent saving anything VS a normal sale but it appears you got a great bargain and people will buy all sorts of crap and start fist fights over discounted christmas lights

People are weird - they are like raccoons when buying things. They love shiny things and love to rummage around in boxes looking for nothing.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #52
mshmodela

STUPID! A on the level Judge would give it "Summary judgment"... You don't like the price, don't buy it... Prices can change anytime... Just look at the has pump for example...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #53
5window

How many people do you know who will drive miles to save a quarter? I have two buying situations only: one, I need it now (blown tire on a trip, major plumbing leak in the bathroom) and I am going to pay whatever I need to, or two, I need it but have time to shop and can judge price/delivery time/ quality and then order what best suits my needs. I am at a very fortunate place in my life where I don't really want or need much and i can afford to buy it if I really wanted to. That is a great feeling that I worked many years to achieve, but I appreciate not many are in that boat.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #54
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
STUPID! A on the level Judge would give it "Summary judgment"... You don't like the price, don't buy it... Prices can change anytime... Just look at the has pump for example...
I usually go to the "was" pump, but I do get your idea.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #55
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
this site says the settlement pool is 3million http://www.classactionrebates.com/se...arbor-freight/ I dont know what the lawyers get above that. But in this you need recipts to get anything over 10$ and to get the 10$ you need to fille in writing by mail. I dont think there will be many class members. this is the lawyers site handling it with filing info http://www.nationalsalepricesettlement.com/index
I joined a Class Action Lawsuit once, it involved me signing a pre-postage card with my signature, I said, what the hell, two years later I got $2.34. I'm sure the lawyers got a bit more.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #56
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
How many people do you know who will drive miles to save a quarter? I have two buying situations only: one, I need it now (blown tire on a trip, major plumbing leak in the bathroom) and I am going to pay whatever I need to, or two, I need it but have time to shop and can judge price/delivery time/ quality and then order what best suits my needs. I am at a very fortunate place in my life where I don't really want or need much and i can afford to buy it if I really wanted to. That is a great feeling that I worked many years to achieve, but I appreciate not many are in that boat.
same here, usually I'm not one to buy something without researching it BUT like you said in an emergency or urgent situation I will buy whatever the cost to either A completely fix the problem or B fix it reliably enough to get home or until I redo it when more time is available.

I usually order everything online if I dont need it right away.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #57
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
When the local Fleet Farm store opened years ago, their policy was to have everyday low prices, and not have sales or any other such gimmicks. I liked that and always said that's the way stores should be, but after a number of years they also joined the sales crowd.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #58
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
ORDER NOW AND RECIVE A FREE GIZMO VALUED AT 19.95 BUT YOURS FREE IF YOU PAY SHIPING! ORDER NOW!!

or

NOT SOLD IN STORES - yet ends up in every Walgreens and bed bath and beyond across the country for 3/4 of the cost

Id like for them to go after those companies.

And i agree with Tom W's statement - who cares what they say it claims it sells for or what its valued at. Your still deciding to buy it at the lower price or not...If thats "illegal" or "sue worthy" better start sueing every single car dealer across the country for advertising MSRP on the window sticker yet its always "on sale" or tagged" or whatever crap they claim for less.

A local furniture store here got shut down due to the fact they were advertising in radio/ newspaper/ and by people physically waving signs around town their store closing. That "closing" went on for 4 years haha.
I am SO TIRED of seeing that "Pillow Shaker". Another is "Marie". Couldn't they at least change the commercial or something? When these commercials air, I switch stations, usually only to see the same commercial on the other stations...

Oh well, watched Roy Orbison in black & white last evening on PBS. Some real guitar pickers......
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #59
BILL WILLIAMSON

Reminds me of the "WONDER" Drugs & if you've taken them, you can apply for "SUE" Money, even if you've DIED from it!----OR, they'll sell you other pills, to counteract the originals' BAD side effects!
Did you hear about the 2 GAY Attorneys?---They TRIED each other!!
Bill W.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #60
CarlG

My wife just loves to shop at quilt stores that offer 50% off.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote