Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
kylefeatherston

Default 1947 Ford Super Deluxe options

I have recently been looking at buying a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe with a Flathead V8 in it and noticed that the car has a floor shifter. The research that I have done for that year has led me to believe that it should be a "3 on the tree" column shifter. Can anyone provide clarification? I have done extensive internet research and can't seem to find an answer. Thank you! (Pictures are from seller) and here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6071625827568/

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
kylefeatherston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 1947 Ford Super Deluxe options

Putting that kind of Ford floor shift transmission in one of those cars is a bolt-in with the proper (commonly available) parts.

When I was in high school it was a popular thing to do.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
RalphM

Yours is definitely a conversion. I’ve got The opposite, a column shift in my 35 coupe.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
kylefeatherston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Yours is definitely a conversion. I’ve got The opposite, a column shift in my 35 coupe.
Is there a way to convert it back?

Old 06-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
RalphM

Yes, you need to swap the transmission out for a side shift, and you’ll need the linkage if it’s not there. The rear transmission mounts might be a little different. It should be a U-shaped mount for the later transmission. And it looks like your steering column has the shifter but it’s on the opposite side. Hard to tell from the picture.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
FortyNiner

The column shift appears to have been simply positioned over top of the steering column after the conversion.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
The column shift appears to have been simply positioned over top of the steering column after the conversion.
Again, when I was in high school, all of the guys with "serious" steady girlfriends had the column shift lever flipped like that. You know, the guys that ended up 3 kids before they were 20.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #8
fordwife

There were 2 groups when I was in high school : the colunm shifters and the floor shifters. Guess which ones got the most girls.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:25 AM   #9
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordwife View Post
There were 2 groups when I was in high school : the colunm shifters and the floor shifters. Guess which ones got the most girls.
The guys whose fathers bought them new convertibles with automatics?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #10
kylefeatherston

Sorry for the continuous questions but I'm new! Are the side transmissions hard to come by that are period correct to the year?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:19 AM   #11
tubman

I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but the serial number for '32-'48 Fords is actually stamped in the top front of the transmission. Thus, the chances of finding the absolutely correct transmission for your car are virtually nil, as it would have to be the original that came with the car when new. Thus it is a good thing that you are looking for a "period correct" transmission. They are out there and not than hard to find. Anything from '40 through '48 (Ford or Merc) will work, thought you may have to change the rear mount depending on what you find (you already have the correct mount in your car if the new transmission has the wrong one or it is missing). If you are not attached to the floor shift transmission already in the car, you should be able to make the change for little or no out of pocket expenditure. (You may even be able to make a little on the deal, as more people want the floor shifts than the side shifts). It all depends on condition, however.

Hopefully the shift rods from the column to the transmission came with the car. If not, you'll need those too, plus maybe some other linkage parts and bushings, etc. Everything is available, though.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #12
Aarongriffey

My Dad bought a brand new ‘47 Ford on my birthday the end of January 1947.
It had instruments and trim and parking lights like a ‘46 because the 47 model was that way until some time in February.
Anyway, as all sedans were since the 1940 model, it was steering column shift. Three on the tree.
The only options it had was a radio and heater.
I have owned two 1946 Fords and a 1947 and A 1940. Plus I have been around a lot of those cars and I have never heard of one after the ‘39 model coming from the factory with for shift. The pick ups remained floor shift until the ligh duty (car) transmission in 1951.
The heavy duty three speed remained floor shift but that’s another story.
As stated in posts above changing to a floor shift transmission was done by several folks in those days but I only ever saw one. I would like to have done it myself.
I would still consider doing it to my ‘51 F1.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #13
woodiewagon46

The V-8 Ford Club of America offers a 1941-1948 Ford Book, that has just about any fact for your car that you can want. I recommend purchasing it.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #14
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
The V-8 Ford Club of America offers a 1941-1948 Ford Book, that has just about any fact for your car that you can want. I recommend purchasing it.
Concur! It's a great source and will give you a good foundation for restoring your car!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The guys whose fathers bought them new convertibles with automatics?
Fact.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #16
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylefeatherston View Post
Sorry for the continuous questions but I'm new! Are the side transmissions hard to come by that are period correct to the year?

No. Side shift transmissions are very easy to come by. I have several lying around.

There are also many, many 1946-1948 Fords out there. It would probably be worth while to pass on this project and find a better example. You'll be money ahead in the long run. You should be able to pick up a decent driver quality 1947 Tudor for 10K.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 06-24-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #17
RalphM

Quote:
“I have recently been looking at buying a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe”
Maybe not his yet
But if you do decide to pull the trigger there are many assets available(especially the knowledge here on the Barn) to help you.
I love these years of Ford and have had a couple, thus I have lots of spare parts.
It might help to put your general location in your avatar.
I’d be thrilled if you were close enough to come take some of this junk, er, ah, treasure off my hands.
If you buy the car, and need them, I might have those shift rods lying around and will send them to you for the postage.
Ralph
Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #18
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
No. Side shift transmissions are very easy to come by. I have several lying around.

There are also many, many 1946-1948 Fords out there. It would probably worth while to pass on this project and find a better example. You'll be money ahead in the long run. You should be able to pick up a decent driver quality 1947 Tudor for 10K.
Good advice from Seth. A good tudor of that vintage is not hard to find and can save you money and time in the long run. As others have said buy the 41-48 Ford book from the Early Ford V-8 Club(www.earlyfordv8.org). Also join the V-8 club and get their great magazine , The V-8 Times. All this will help you learn a lot before you purchase your first V-8. You want to be happy with your purchase. You do not want "buyers remorse".
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #19
corvette8n

What is your ultimate goal for this car?, if you just want to get it running and drive it like it looks, go for it. If you want a restored vehicle pass on this one and look for something else, this car will cost you way more money and time than its worth.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #20
woodiewagon46

To add to what Seth points out, the conversion might be a challenge for some. It has a torque tube which will need to be removed before taking out the transmission. That in itself is an issue, as the rear end or the motor must be removed to get it out. Once the transmission is out, a new clutch, pressure plate and a resurfacing of the flywheel should be done at this time. Just by looking at the pictures, you might want to reconsider purchasing this car unless it's very cheap.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote