Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Logical Decision Thought

When or what influences a Model A owner to completely rebuild their car (frame off) restoration or just repaint, upholstery and update all essential drive gear, besides the large differences in money? I just bought a ‘28 Sport Coupe and it is in good solid condition and runs really good. I’m trying to make a financial and logical decision.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: Logical Decision Thought

When you buy a basket case...
TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
Ranchero50

Ditto, depends on what you start with.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
Synchro909

IMO, it's your choice and yours alone to decide whether you want a show car or a reliable driver or anything in between. I think that when considering whether or not to spend the $, one must factor in the fun we will get from it. Fun comes in many forms and people value it differently so it is entirely up to you and let nobody criticise your decision.
What price enjoyment? Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

Some people like new shiny cars others don’t care.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
daveymc29

I'd like a shiny new car, but I am old. My car would probably benefit from a young, alert driver with the reflexes of a cat, but we're stuck with each other.Sometimes I win, sometimes the car wins, usually we both get home together though it may be on a hook. If I fail the driving test I'm not going back and retake it. I'll sell and call for a ride or let the bride drive me to my destination. I have been driving her around for the last 65 years, probably time for her to give it a try.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
PalAl

Make your car safe for the road, brakes, lights, seatbelts. Get the buffer and bring out that underling paint shine. Drive your car as much as you can and as you do this you may find things you want to improve/change. Find what needs fixing before you break it fixing it...lol. looks like you have a fun ride. Get with a local club and enjoy
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:37 PM   #8
holdover

It is entirely up to you. The first consideration IS IT SAFE. Good tires, brakes, runs correctly, plate glass replaced if any, maybe some seat belts. If you want a show car, go for it, a driver, looks like you have one. Anything in between just throw the dollars at it.

either way good luck!
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
whirnot

In my case, I bought a car that I knew had a few minor issues and the paint wasn't good. I intended to fix the issues and just drive it. But in chasing problems, the deeper I dug, the more things I found that were either shot, or incorrectly done.
So frame off was the route.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:34 AM   #10
CWPASADENA

I bought my Tudor all in pieces. I had no choice but to do a complete frame-up restoration. For the past 10 years, the car has served me very well with routine maintenance and a very few, very minor issues. Everything works as Henry intended and I am very comfortable taking it any where including long distance tours.

I bought a Vickey about 5 years ago. An older repaint and upholstery and some other repairs. It looks good but has issues that someday would like to deal with. I have fixed the brakes, differential assembly, radiator, generator, distributor, water pump, door latches, locking door handle, window channels and a bunch of leaks and rattles. It is fun to drive around locally but the engine has some strange noises in it and it should have a new top. It is fine for local driving but I would not want to take it any distance from home unless I do something about the engine and put some new tires on it.

So it gets down to what you expect from your Model A, how much of the work you can do yourself, how much you enjoy working on the car, and how much money you want to spend.

I do know trying drive something around that is completely worn out is not much fun. and there are a lot of Model A's out there for sale that need a little work and some TLC that would make nice dependable cars for not a lot of money. I also know that you will never recover the cost of a complete quality frame-up restoration when you sell the car.

My observations,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 01-31-2020 at 12:37 AM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:03 AM   #11
28Danby

Ive been driving around in a 28' tudor that has a 35 year old resto on it. When I bought it 15 years ago, it had pressed steel drum brakes that barely stopped, bad wiring, and steering that made for fun driving. Over the years I did what needed to be done, full brake replacement to cast drums and replaced every single brake component, full steering overhaul with EZ steer and replaced the wiring with a new harness (soldered) and upgraded headlights. That made the car safe and you cant cheap out on that. Those should be first and foremost your priorities. The drivetrain is pretty robust and unless its a basketcase, you should be able to drive around and have some fun until it needs attention.

Last edited by 28Danby; 01-31-2020 at 03:11 AM.
28Danby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:14 AM   #12
DNLs1930

Our 1930 has been in the family for 70 years and while it's look could be "refreshed" I plan to retain the current look and maintain the safe operating condition. I think once it starts to need work on those "safety systems" Brakes, Fuel and electric/Lights I will have to make the decision to make changes to the configuration. This car is a driver and a tour or two are in the works but it will be a local drive in, parade and car show attendee.

The big thing will be if(when) there are ever any serious issues with the engine, brakes or fuel system as I see those as the most important reliability and safety concerns. SO bottom line for me is how to maintain the legacy and balance future costs while maximizing the effectiveness of the money spent as I have yet to win the $$ Lottery.

The only real changes I have looked at are 1935 wheels/tires and maybe the electrical system and lights. I like it the way it is today so saving my pennies for now...

Have fun is the bottom line me thinks!!!
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #13
Will Ziegler in LI NY

It depends on the condition of the car, how much $ you want to spend, and the persons needs/wants.

My 1931 std phaeton, in my avatar was restored in 1957, way before I got it. I have done mechanical updates (rebuilt engine, transmission, wiring, brakes to make it safe. Had a couple dents fixed and blended in, but overall the car is in too good condition to take apart for a full restoration.
Plus model A's come apart quickly and easily and take a long time to put back together.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
David R.

I started with a AA basket case, still is at this point. I want a driver, not a show car, so my goals are to:
1) stop deterioration
2) restore mechanical functionality
If the next guy wants a show truck, he can fill all the dings and sand out the blemishes. I don't likely have that much time (or money) left!
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #15
ronn

because I like cars a bit worn in appearance, that is where I dont generally spend my $.

I like rough paint, but mechanically, I want to be able to drive the car, so that is where my dollars go. all comes down to what you are or are not satisfied with.

a list of small improvements helps get your priorities straight.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
Patrick L.

Logic is subjective isn't it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
Mulletwagon

The bookends of the hobby are "Pebble Beach meet Jay" and "Go for ice crean with the grandkids". Most of us prefer to do our own wrench bending and keep our rides safe and cosmetically appealing. Dropping big $$ for total restorations will result in a nice car but eventually recovering the investment is not likely - which is OK if your car becomes a cherished family treasure. As for me, my grandkids really like ice cream. Welcome to the hobby and look forward to meeting many colorful characters.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

I think it all depends on how deep your pockets are. That's why when I purchased 9 years ago a re-do from the 80's w/615 miles on it. I went threw some issues with it but had NOTHING like some of the stories here. Brakes good, adj twice over 6000+ miles, changed oil about every 1000, and not much more.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #19
dlfrisch

Thanks to all of you people, who commented on my thoughts.....I just keep put off the idea of pulling the body off. Seems like to much work for a paint job. There is only a small spot of rust on the lower section behind each door (no holes - just a little red rust showing) and a small dent on the front fender around, where the bar holding the head light, is bolted down. The existing paint is no in good condition - not a correct color and a LOT of orange peal. Defiantly needs to be striped down, prepped and totally repainted - black fenders and mfg. body color.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #20
rocket1

It basically costs more to restore than it is worth,if you do not plan to keep it forever just make a safe reliable driver.My opinion.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote