Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
modelamotorhead

Default 1930 Open Cab Pickup seat back mounting

Building a '30 OCPU utilizing a new Brookville cab. I'm at the point of setting the new seat springs in the cab to test fit them. I understand how the seat cushion mounts, but can't figure out how the seat back mounts. I checked Mac's and they show mounts for CCPU models only. The Brookville cab has three vertical ribs bolted to the tub and lower rear of the seat riser, are these ribs what I attach the seat back springs to? I would fabricate or buy the mounts if I only knew what they looked like and where they are to be located. This is my first OCPU build and any tech help or pictures of original seat back mounts would be greatly appreciated.
modelamotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
Neil Wilson

Default Re: 1930 Open Cab Pickup seat back mounting

FYI - Through June 1930, the open cab was body type 76-A; starting June 1930, the open cab was body type 76-B. I don't know, but this might make a difference in how the seat back was attached.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
JaxFLG8r

Ours is a '31, but I am assuming the rear seat cushion attachment is the same.

There are three small tabs that come out from the top of the cab, right over the wood support braces. Install bottom seat cushion, place rear cushion in, bottom first, and compress the top of the rear seat spring back to be held down by the tabs.

Picture attached. If you need a better picture, let me know and I can get one when I am at the shop this weekend. Ed Williamson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.jpg (52.7 KB, 76 views)
JaxFLG8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
Keith True

Those three little tabs are pointed and actually pierce the upholstery material to hold the seat in place.I didn't like that idea,so I bent them up and back.The backrest squeezes between the cushion and lip if the cab back,it doesn't go anywhere.I have one in a Brookville body that's been there for 12?15??or so years,and I do have to rassel it out of there when I need to get under the seat for something.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
modelamotorhead

Many thanks for the great tech answers from all of you folks. I did notice those three pointed tabs at top rear and thought that they were there for some reason! My thoughts are the same as yours Kieth, don't like the idea of punching three holes in new material.
The mystery for me has been solved! Again thanks to all of you for your help...Mike
Old 05-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Missing from the previous explanation I have a clip on each of the vertical wood pieces (First Photo). This clip hods the bottom of the seat spring (Second Photo). Also the wood pieces are held to the body with low profile carriage bolts (Third Photo). These photos are from my early '31.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6274 (2).jpg (11.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8057.jpg (38.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7499 (1).jpg (64.9 KB, 41 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Missing from the previous explanation I have a clip on each of the vertical wood pieces (First Photo). Charlie Stephens
Charlie, Is the tab shown in your first photo an original for holding the top of the seat back?

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

They appear to be original and are tack welded to the body. They are also shown in Post #3 and referenced in Post #4.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8059 (1).jpg (47.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
modelamotorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Missing from the previous explanation I have a clip on each of the vertical wood pieces (First Photo). This clip hods the bottom of the seat spring (Second Photo). Also the wood pieces are held to the body with low profile carriage bolts (Third Photo). These photos are from my early '31.

Charlie Stephens
Thanks for the photos Charlie. Brookville didn't include those little tabs on the bottom carriage bolt that is shown in your first photo. I wonder where I can purchase three of them or are they made out of unobtainium?? It makes sense that Ford put them there to hold the bottom of the seat back...Mike
Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelamotorhead View Post
Thanks for the photos Charlie. Brookville didn't include those little tabs on the bottom carriage bolt that is shown in your first photo. I wonder where I can purchase three of them or are they made out of unobtainium?? It makes sense that Ford put them there to hold the bottom of the seat back...Mike
What you think is a second carriage bolt is actually the clip shown in Post #6 Photo #2. It is held on only to the wood using a wood screw. There is only one carriage bolt in each piece of wood. I doubt if anyone makes the pointed clips that go in the top as shown in Post #8. You might be better off designing your own retainer for the seat that doesn't pierce the upholstery, look at what they do for roadster rumble seats.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 05-04-2018 at 10:19 AM.