Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Rex_A_Lott

Default 31 Pickup Cowl Questions

Some Background: I have a project that I picked up from a friend when he found out he had Cancer a few years ago. He was picking up pieces and had done a little work to it, but he was really working on another car a lot more. Its a later model 31 CCp/u, with the metal top. I thought that meant it was a wide bed, but now I'm not so sure if all the pieces he had match up. I wanted to post pics of the cowl he had, but also some others I have to see which one is the best one to start with...obviously all need a bunch of work, but I'm not sure about the header pieces, if I have what I need or need to do some looking. The pics suck, sorry. I will try to do better tomorrow.

Last edited by Rex_A_Lott; 07-26-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: 31 Pickup Cowl Questions

Added links for pics. Thanks for looking.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
lajones

The one in my avatar is a 31 steel top, narrow bed. I don't know the stats of how many narrow/wide beds or when the production change was, but they did come both ways. If you needs pics of something in particular just let me know.
lajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

I'm thinking the steel top would have an indented firewall??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
lajones

Yes, mine does.
lajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Keith True

All steel tops were indented firewall.Indented firewall was around May 31,widebed was June 31,and steeltop was August 31.Narrow bed was gone by the time the steeltop came around.I know of a steeltop with a narrow bed,the previous owner said he put it on in the late 40's. when he couldn't find rear fenders for the widebed,but there were plenty of narrow beds around.It looked original,but then again,it had been on there for well over 40 years when I first saw it so it all matches up real nicely.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
usered

I have a late '31, it had indented firewall, wide bed, but isn't a steel top. I'm pretty sure it was original. See attached picture of cab prior to restoration.

Let me know if there anything specific you want to see I have a few pictures of the restoration process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.jpg (60.2 KB, 30 views)
usered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Rex_A_Lott

Thanks guys for all the responses! At the recent Fletcher Swap meet, I saw a really nice wide bed, with the conventional top, that belonged to Model A Macs and I tried to look it over good...but stupid me, I forgot my camera and so I have no pics for reference.
My friend was not a restorer, per se, although he did have one nicely restored coupe. What he really thrived on was taking bits and pieces of whatever he could find and making Shriners Hillbilly parade vehicles out of them. He also never threw anything away, and I am trying to sort through the pieces and figure out what belonged to this truck and what was just leftover parts he had picked up along the way.
I'd always heard these things were simple but after reading about Ford parts, Briggs parts and Murray parts, I see I really dont know much at all.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Rex_A_Lott

I had to get my assistant to point out the area I was interested in seeing some more pictures of, both inside and out...especially before the upholstery was put in, if you have any. I read in another post today that the narrow bed tailgate has two hinges, the wide bed has three...but we measured it anyway. So I may have the narrow bed after all. At least I think I have the correct fenders to match it. I know for sure I dont have the narrow fenders. Thanks guys for your help!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Keith True

An original wide bed will have a steel floor over the wood.The inside floor/side corners will be square,on the narrow bed they will be curved.On the headboard the wide bed will have a slight arch,the narrow bed will be straight.A picture of the side or the inside will tell easily enough.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote