Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Hster

Default D-nut / Clinch nut

I would like to replace some of the D-nuts or Clinch nuts in the sheet metal lip that holds the floorboards. What is the method to remove and replace them?
Hster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: D-nut / Clinch nut

I think the easiest way is to carefully grind off the peened-over lip of the old one, until you can see the outline of the "D" shape, and then just tap them out. Need to be careful to only grind the "D" nut lip, without thinning the sheetmetal. Then the new "D" nut can easily be slipped in and peened over.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Hster

The D nuts get peened over but what holds the nut flush while it gets peened. Is there a tool that holds them in place or a tool that can roll the lip over? How was it do when they were made?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i found this easily on a search and others along with it.. hope this helps
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ght=clinch+nut

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-07-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hster View Post
The D nuts get peened over but what holds the nut flush while it gets peened. Is there a tool that holds them in place or a tool that can roll the lip over? How was it do when they were made?
have you done a search as we talked about this subject some months ago, though I hasten to add I myself find searching somewhat challenging on this site. I recall one member uses a ball bearing and a C-Clamp somehow but it was described in detail in that thread.

Maybe someone with a photographic memory, or at least superior search powers, can help out.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
wrndln

If I remember correctly, the post ericr is referring to, used a decent sized C clamp and a larger ball bearing to "set" the top part of the D nut. The C clamp would provide pressure to the ball bearing to force the top part outward. Once the top part is force outward, a ball peen hammer could be used to finish the installation. I bought several ball bearing on eBay to try the technique, but like many things, I have not needed to tried it yet. I think that maybe the ball bearing might need to have a flat spot made on the top to keep the C clamp from slipping - but maybe not.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i found this easily on a search and others along with it.. hope this helps
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ght=clinch+nut
When I did search I used "D-nut/Clinch nut" and got nothing, but after your response I just entered "Clinch" and found more info. I just need to figure out how to use the search more effectively.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Hster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
If I remember correctly, the post ericr is referring to, used a decent sized C clamp and a larger ball bearing to "set" the top part of the D nut. The C clamp would provide pressure to the ball bearing to force the top part outward. Once the top part is force outward, a ball peen hammer could be used to finish the installation. I bought several ball bearing on eBay to try the technique, but like many things, I have not needed to tried it yet. I think that maybe the ball bearing might need to have a flat spot made on the top to keep the C clamp from slipping - but maybe not.
Rusty Nelson
Thanks I might give this method a try.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

as posted on a different thread you can also go to google search and type in fordbarn clinch and things will come up

or even fordbarn clinch nut on a search engine
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
wrndln

1930 coupe,
Nice find. I was looking for this string, but evidently I wasn't using the right terms(s) for my search. Thanks - I remember the string, but couldn't find it. Since you posted the ball bearing response, I guess you knew the right terms.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Ken Ehrenhofer

I have always had trouble getting the D-nuts tight. Especially if you peen them over and if loose they will chip the new paint as they slide around before /during assembly. I have also ran into the Brass ones. So I have used silver solder in places like the deck lid for rumble hinges where peening is out of the question.....just a thought!

Last edited by Ken Ehrenhofer; 12-08-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: left out a word
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I have always had trouble getting the D-nuts tight. Especially if you peen them over and if loose they will chip the new paint as they slide around before /during assembly. I have also ran into the Brass ones. So I have used silver solder in places like the deck lid for rumble hinges where peening is out of the question.....just a thought!
Ken, since you have removed the originals, something tells me the originals likely had an easier go at installation....did you find the originals had like a thinner lip on the top of it which facilitated installation?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Bruce_MO

I just backed them up with a body dollie and hammer carefully on them until they're tight and uniformly "mashed". I can't say that any of them ended up loose that way; they all seemed to be pretty snug for me. I think if you grind the sheetmetal too thin to remove the orignal nut, then it'll be a lot more likely that the new one could be loose.

It seems to me that the originals must have been installed with some sort of press or pneumatic hammer fixture, as they always seem very uniform w/o the look of someone rapidly hammering on them. The "mashed" portion is always perfectly round and smooth in the ones I've looked at.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote