Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Rex_A_Lott

Default Radiator Flow

I've seen several threads here where the condition of a radiator's flow has been mentioned.
I remember years ago the good shops had a flow checker, but I dont know if they have a clue what I should actually expect.
Does anybody have accurate numbers of what a good radiator will flow?
Are the 28/29 different from the 30/31?
I've got some old ones I want to get checked/repaired and lay them up in a safe place for spares.
I also have a 30 that's going to need some attention pretty soon.
I'm aware that it used to be common practice for the shops to block off a few tubes and solder them shut...yeah it looks like crap on the front, but how much does it really reduce the cooling ability of the radiator?
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Radiator Flow

If you have 100 tubes, then each blocked off or soldered closed tube reduces the cooling by 1%. The bad thing is that blocked off tubes will slow the flow to the bottom and the water pump will fill the top tank until it flows out the overflow pipe. That's what happened to me.

I find the flow test useless. An inspection camera will let you see the tube tops and bottoms. That how I knew when mine were clean enough. Mine flows and cools great now, but I still need to get rid of some rust in the engine block so it doesn't block the tubes again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is the problem with radiator flow test. Let's assume the target is 3 seconds.

Which radiator is better;

1 quart drained in 3 secs
2 gallons drained in 3 secs?

Get the point, how fast is nothing compared to how much?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Bob Johnson

After doing tests on radiators and cores I found that the outlet on the bottom of the radiator restricts the flow rate because it can not flow as much coolant as the core. Thus you can have a partially blocked radiator and the flow rate thought the radiator will not be slower than a non blocked radiator. If the core is real bad you then will see a slower flow rate.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

I think he's asking for the gallonage flow, plus the time. Not just the time, which, I agree is useless. I've wondered the same my self. It probably be, listed as, "blank" many gallons per minute?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Here is the problem with radiator flow test. Let's assume the target is 3 seconds.

Which radiator is better;

1 quart drained in 3 secs
2 gallons drained in 3 secs?

Get the point, how fast is nothing compared to how much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I think he's asking for the gallonage flow, plus the time. Not just the time, which, I agree is useless. I've wondered the same my self. It probably be, listed as, "blank" many gallons per minute?
I agree, the time test isnt worth much. The machine I am referring to has a pump and puts the radiator in series with a flow meter and reads in GPM , (gallons per minute). I was hoping someone would know what an acceptable range is. Fifty years ago the radiator shop guy probably knew it by heart, but I wouldnt expect them to know that now. Thanks for the replies.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Chuck Sea/Tac

It wouldn't Surprise me if Marco or Vince had that info
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
jkeesey

I thought it was block the lower outlet, fill the radiator, remove the lower outlet and count 7 seconds. I think it was 7 seconds.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
GB SISSON

There is a youtube video of a couple of guys doing a model A radiator flow test with a 5 gallon bucket on a ladder. The bucket has a flap valve which might be from a toilet. It is plumbed into the radiator and a stop watch is involved. I saw it two weeks ago when I was first investigating my overheating problem. In the video, the two guys have a number of gpm that they feel signifies a 'good radiator'. Maybe not too scientific by today's standards, but it was certainly interesting to watch and I see no reason to doubt their results. Shouldn't be too difficult to find. Post a link if you do, as I don't know how to post a link and I'm tired and heading off to bed..... zzzzzzzzzzz
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote