Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #1
P.S.

Default Spacers on shift rail to prevent breaking shift forks in Model A transmission

Tina "Model T" Shinn's video today features Steve Mitchell from Mitchell Manufacturing (the outfit who makes the really nice overdrive units for Model As) talking about how he now uses spacers on the shift rail to prevent over-shifting past the detents, to help prevent damage when shifting aggressively.

https://youtu.be/hZKEG5LjTgs?feature=shared&t=1206

That link takes you to the 20 minute mark where Steve talks about it and demonstrates how his idea works. What do you think of that idea? Brilliant? I cannot see any flaws in that logic, can you?

I'm planning on installing the spacers in one of my transmission towers and experimenting. I think it's brilliant.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
Planojc

Default Re: Spacers on shift rail to prevent breaking shift forks in Model A transmission

I bet he knows where everything is on that work bench.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:04 PM   #3
JayJay

Default Re: Spacers on shift rail to prevent breaking shift forks in Model A transmission

I went to Steve and Cindi’s shop in Colusa a couple of weeks ago when I picked up my overdrive. Lots of stuff in very limited space, but there is in fact order to the madness, and yes, he knows precisely where everything is.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:28 PM   #4
Banditorama

It makes sense for a racecar like he was talking about in the beginning. But, how often are you really banging through the gears racing down the road in your Model A?
Banditorama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:50 PM   #5
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
It makes sense for a racecar like he was talking about in the beginning. But, how often are you really banging through the gears racing down the road in your Model A?
Have you ever taught someone to drive manual in your Model A? Have you ever had your spouse drive your Model A?
Old 04-21-2024, 01:06 PM   #6
alexiskai

If you don’t need the product, don’t buy the product.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:22 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Good insurance.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:05 PM   #8
Phil Brown

Just don't see the need for this, but if it makes you feel better go for it. The wife and all three daughters can drive the A's. When they learned they were taught to let it go into gear when it's ready and not to force it
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:00 PM   #9
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Have you ever taught someone to drive manual in your Model A? Have you ever had your spouse drive your Model A?
The only people I've let drive mine were already proficient in driving a manual.

My experience driving the car is the transmission forces you to slow down your shifts. If you try to bang gears, all it's going to do is grind.
Banditorama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:28 PM   #10
Brentwood Bob

I could of used this when I was learning to drive my first model a and mistreated it. Refines the Mitchell syncromesh transmission that steve manufactures. Good on Steve.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:33 PM   #11
Ruth

Is breaking a shift fork realy an issue? I have never heard this before. Bending yes, but breaking?
Old 04-22-2024, 12:49 AM   #12
Brentwood Bob

I have forks that are bent.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:25 AM   #13
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
The only people I've let drive mine were already proficient in driving a manual.

My experience driving the car is the transmission forces you to slow down your shifts. If you try to bang gears, all it's going to do is grind.
In a perfect world, that is all that would happen. If I can save a $3,000 transmission with 30 cents worth of spacers, I'm doing it.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:00 AM   #14
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
In a perfect world, that is all that would happen. If I can save a $3,000 transmission with 30 cents worth of spacers, I'm doing it.
Is Steve Mitchell now installing these spacers in new Synchro Transmissions or is this an "extra"?

Not sure what $3000 transmission you are referring to, the Mitchell I received in January was only $2150, plus tax and shipping, delivered to my door.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:28 AM   #15
P.S.

He is considering installing them in every sync trans shift tower.

I just threw a number out there. I don't know if the spacers cost 30 cents either. That statement was not fake news fact checked for to-the-cent accuracy.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #16
Brentwood Bob

Old 04-22-2024, 11:18 AM   #17
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Is Steve Mitchell now installing these spacers in new Synchro Transmissions or is this an "extra"?

Not sure what $3000 transmission you are referring to, the Mitchell I received in January was only $2150, plus tax and shipping, delivered to my door.
I saw that $3000 price and thought "Wow the price really has gone up". I hope that doesn't make people think twice about buying one.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #18
CWPASADENA

Good idea,

We have used spacers on the V-8 transmissions for years to limit the travel of the 2-3 rail to prevent over running the synchronizer assembly.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote