Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Brian

Angry Scat 221 stroker cranks

I know not many of you guys play with 21 stud engines, let alone hot them up, but....
a wee word of advice about the Scat 4" stroker crank for 221, part # 9000-221-4000-2000.
I purchased one of these some months back as I acquire parts for my next build, a 255 cu in 37 block with pumps in heads. It is winter down here in New Zealand, been a cold damp one. I've had the crankshaft 'stored' on my wooden workbench sprayed with rust preservative, and its rusted on some of the webs. I've caught it in time, but interestingly, I've got a pile of old Ford cranks stored on steel shelving 2" off a concrete floor that are as good as the day I filed them away down there. Chinese cast iron definitely different to Fords.
Anyway, I went to trial fit this Scat crank into a 37 block; no go! The front and centre main bearing journals, whilst ground to the correct dia, are too short. Obviously Scat have followed the later crankshaft dimensions [which have larger dia/shorter lengths].
I have advised Scat of this error, hopefully they'll reply, but in the meantime, anyone considering one of these cranks; be warned- they don't fit and you'll need to undertake further machining operations in order to make them fit.
Brian