Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
donthekawguy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Default Gear oil

Where is everyone getting their gear oil? All the local stores give me a confused look when I ask about it. lol I could only find it for 14 a quart on Amazon and that seems steep.
donthekawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
redmodelt
Senior Member
 
redmodelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,165
Default Re: Gear oil

Most all the suppliers sell it.
__________________
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Aok
Senior Member
 
Aok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 500
Default Re: Gear oil

I get mine from brattons but all the vendors sell it. I think it's 140 weight modern, someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:34 AM   #4
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Thumbs up Re: Gear oil

The suppliers "600W" is fake, at best it's low quality 140W. Nice scam they have going.

For better but a similar price:

https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/GL1500.html

Meropa 1500 Gear Oil
https://restorationstuff.com
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,164
Default Re: Gear oil

You can't beat Penrite Transoil 240 for the diff and gearbox in a Model A
__________________
It is no burden to carry a little extra knowledge.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
whirnot
Senior Member
 
whirnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bend Or.
Posts: 964
Default Re: Gear oil

A lot of folks think 600w stands for 600 weight, similar to 90 weight. It doesn't.
__________________
Bill Worden

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft
Senior Member
 
Purdy Swoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: Gear oil

They say that the W stands for winter . I've been told that the so called 600 W gear oil that is sold by the model A parts vendors is made up from a mixture of 140W and STP . A person can mix and make their own gear oil . I have used 90 W with no problem if I didn't have any 600W and it shifted just fine .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Werner
Senior Member
 
Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany, near Aachen
Posts: 864
Default Re: Gear oil

There is heavy 680 gear oil available for industrial machine needs.
__________________
Beste Gruesse aus Deutschland,
Werner


Ford Model A Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine, 1976 (Canadian version)
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
marty in Ohio
Senior Member
 
marty in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elyria, Ohio
Posts: 600
Default Re: Gear oil

A Model A friend swore that 600W was 600 weight oil, until I stopped at a local business that sells heavy lubricants. I asked if they carried 600 weight and was told that the heaviest they handled was 700 weight. They asked me "what the hell" I was going to use 600 for. I explained and they said you can't put 600 weight in a car. You have to heat 600 just to pour it.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
Forddan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 173
Default Re: Gear oil

I have used for the last year the MEROPA 1500 sell by restoration supply (link provided in a previous post), with excellent results.

It's been said that in winter you can't shift. Not true for my MA winter. I started the car this winter with several degrees Celsius below cero in the non heated barn and moved the car, back and front inside the barn and shift perfectly. You will read that you can't move the shift at all. Well, on our MA winter if I go with -11 Celcius outside (-7 in the barn) without starting the car, you can shift without problem. Yes, it is a little harder than in Summer, but smooth and without problem

At least that was my experience. But I am a newbie.

You can take a look to this thread I started in October:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272671
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
They say that the W stands for winter . I've been told that the so called 600 W gear oil that is sold by the model A parts vendors is made up from a mixture of 140W and STP . A person can mix and make their own gear oil . I have used 90 W with no problem if I didn't have any 600W and it shifted just fine .

W does stand for winter in multigrade oils...the W in 600W I don't think means that as it dates back to the 1920s when multigrade oil didn't exist. Today 600W is a marketing name, nothing more.

I prefer a heavier oil than 140 but if you okay with it I'd go for something like this and avoid the dirty tricks of the suppliers and save $:

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24...f_B000M8IHI2/?
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
I have used for the last year the MEROPA 1500 sell by restoration supply (link provided in a previous post), with excellent results.

It's been said that in winter you can't shift. Not true for my MA winter. I started the car this winter with several degrees Celsius below cero in the non heated barn and moved the car, back and front inside the barn and shift perfectly. You will read that you can't move the shift at all. Well, on our MA winter if I go with -11 Celcius outside (-7 in the barn) without starting the car, you can shift without problem. Yes, it is a little harder than in Summer, but smooth and without problem

At least that was my experience. But I am a newbie.

You can take a look to this thread I started in October:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272671



Good on you Forddan, you did some critical thinking rather than just be sucked in by the words "600W" on a generic plastic bottle. Gear oils must come with some info such as pour point, ISO rating, viscosity index (you want 100 or more), copper corrosion test...if a seller cannot supply then don't buy. Even the top $ Penrite Transoil specs do not mention some of this critical info. I guess their plan is to sell their oil based on the cool painting on the bottle. You don't buy books based only on what the cover looks like.


__________________


Last edited by M2M; 02-22-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #13
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
There is heavy 680 gear oil available for industrial machine needs.

680 is good but you can also use 1000 or 1500
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
Werner
Senior Member
 
Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany, near Aachen
Posts: 864
Default Re: Gear oil

Guten Abend M2M.

680 is the viscosity in mm˛ / sec. at 40 ° C. It is the thickest industrial machine gear oil you can buy here. The data 1000 or 1500 are unknown here. But the 680 is as tough as honey at 10 ° C. Pour point -8 ° C.

I add 5% MoS2.
__________________
Beste Gruesse aus Deutschland,
Werner


Ford Model A Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine, 1976 (Canadian version)
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #15
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Thumbs up Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Guten Abend M2M.

680 is the viscosity in mm˛ / sec. at 40 ° C. It is the thickest industrial machine gear oil you can buy here. The data 1000 or 1500 are unknown here. But the 680 is as tough as honey at 10 ° C. Pour point -8 ° C.

I add 5% MoS2.

Werner, I'm sure you can find 1000 or 1500 in the EU, but you must search for it.
Gold standard Mobil SHC 636 which is ISO 680 has a pour point of -39C, and even Mobil SHC 639 which is ISO 1000 has a pour point of -33C. There's nothing stopping you doing that winter trip to the Kremlin that you've always wanted to do. See:


https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...SERIES_PDS.pdf
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
Gold Digger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arkansas & Alaska
Posts: 569
Default Re: Gear oil

I don't know much about oils and there make up but I know from working with steam engines for the last 50 years you use 600w for steam lubricators on the engines. Other oils brake down under the heat and wet steam on the cylinder walls of steam engines. A steam cleaner want clean it off of engines, you have to wash it off with kerosene. Allso we used 600w in winches with a worm gear setup. Ford recommended it for their gear boxes and so did John Deere.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #17
Werner
Senior Member
 
Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany, near Aachen
Posts: 864
Default Re: Gear oil

Yes Sir, that's right! Steam cylinder oils are very temperature stable and particularly thick. But here you can only buy this in 50 gal barrels.
__________________
Beste Gruesse aus Deutschland,
Werner


Ford Model A Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine, 1976 (Canadian version)
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #18
Flyboy1st
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 44
Default Re: Gear oil

I have worked on aircraft for about 40 years, restored old Harleys and Model A Fords, that W600 is crap. The best I have found is Mobil One synthetic 90W140. It has enough weight(thickness) to drag the gears slower for better shifting yet it is not so thick to make the roller bearings slide instead of rolling, sliding bearings due to thick oil is not good. Mobil One 140 also works good in the steering box(don't ever use grease in it). If you really need something thicker than the Mobil One, Lucas sells a nice straight 140 weight, shake the bottles and you can hear the difference.
Flyboy1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy1st View Post
I have worked on aircraft for about 40 years, restored old Harleys and Model A Fords, that W600 is crap. The best I have found is Mobil One synthetic 90W140. It has enough weight(thickness) to drag the gears slower for better shifting yet it is not so thick to make the roller bearings slide instead of rolling, sliding bearings due to thick oil is not good. Mobil One 140 also works good in the steering box(don't ever use grease in it). If you really need something thicker than the Mobil One, Lucas sells a nice straight 140 weight, shake the bottles and you can hear the difference.

The main problem with the oils you suggest (and the one's I suggested) is the bottle doesn't say "600W"...for many guys what's written on the bottle matters more than what the oil actually is. Also, if they purchased a quality gear oil they wouldn't be able to delve into the world of old wives' tales by adding STP, extra virgin olive oil, raw honey, etc. People spend big $ on new rear end and tranny parts and a rebuild costs then add such things rather than buy a quality gear oil !!!
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #20
warrene
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Milaca, MN
Posts: 16
Default Re: Gear oil

Why would anybody use this thick junk in a transmission or rear end, they're gears no different than today and every bit as good, go to Walmart and get some 80-90, get rid of the tar, put in some real lube' with modern EP protection, your Model A or T will love you for it, won't ever have to replace 'em again.
warrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
Roxo
Senior Member
 
Roxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kankakee, Illinois
Posts: 160
Default Re: Gear oil

I had a guy recommend Red line 80W250 he swore by it. Has anyone tried it? Or know anything about it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Line-58...n/382505881186
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
M2M
Senior Member
 
M2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Australia/USA/EU/Soviet Russia
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
I had a guy recommend Red line 80W250 he swore by it. Has anyone tried it? Or know anything about it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Line-58...n/382505881186
See:

https://www.redlineoil.com/80w250-gl-5-gear-oil-2
__________________

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.