Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #21
Terry,NJ
Senior Member
 
Terry,NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bucks Co. Pa
Posts: 632
Default Re: 600 w

Klang! And The fight is on.....In this corner we have the STP (some with sawdust, some without) crowd! Yaaaay! Over here we have the reigning champions with 600w and, ... and, ... what's that? There's a new contender? The Lucas Gang?.....
Just trying to have some fun with these oil "Discussions"! Maybe we should not talk about what's good for a mod. A, but what to avoid and WHY. Who has blown up and engine, Transmission, or rear end, using such and such oils. But I think it's important to bear in mind that the worst lubricants of today are better than the best oils of 1930.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
26Tguy
Member
 
26Tguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manvel, TX
Posts: 53
Default Re: 600 w

Alright... lets try to get a listing of what lubes are best that can be purchased at the local parts store and what quantity each assembly needs. Please list what you know to work well. Thanks.

1. Engine oil
2. Transmission
3. Rearend
4. Steering box

What did I miss? A list of this info would be VERY helpful for those, such as myself, that need the wealth of wisdom available on this forum.
__________________
WANTED :26-27 coupe window garnish moldings and windshield frame. Please PM me. Thanks!
26Tguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
Ron Lachniet
Senior Member
 
Ron Lachniet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lowell MI
Posts: 167
Default Re: 600 w

For steering box I mixed Lucas gear lube and John Deere corn head grease to get good lubricating quality and rust prevention and the thickness of the old steering box lube. So far it seems to be working well. Straight corn head grease seemed a too thick for gears that don't spin.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
1931 flamingo
Senior Member
 
1931 flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: new britain,ct 06052
Posts: 8,650
Default Re: 600 w

PennRite Steering Box Lube is the way to go. no mixing 2 or 3 diff ones, just pour. Will NOT leak out of your box.
Restoration Specialties (or Supply)
Escondido, CA do a search FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #25
MikeK
Senior Member
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Windy City
Posts: 2,882
Default Re: 600 w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Never let facts get in the way of opinion.
Oh what a slippery slope!
The STP MSDS LINK shows the majority content to be a mineral oil base with something less than 5% added ZDDP. The mineral oil is listed as "mixture" so that would include viscosity modifiers and tackifiers.

Has the 60+% base oil content of STP been so adulterated that it is actually no longer a functional lubricant, or have the lawyers absolved the company of liability by insisting it be mixed with a 'lubricant' so failure liability falls elsewhere?

Is the 'not a lubricant' actually engineering test FACT or legal OPINION?
__________________
Mechanical engineering 101: If you put an adjustment knob, screw, bolt, or tolerance specs on something, some people will immediately fiddle with it. If you mark it DO NOT TOUCH everyone will mess with it.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
Marco Tahtaras
Senior Member
 
Marco Tahtaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,099
Default Re: 600 w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Has the 60+% base oil content of STP been so adulterated that it is actually no longer a functional lubricant, or have the lawyers absolved the company of liability by insisting it be mixed with a 'lubricant' so failure liability falls elsewhere?

Is the 'not a lubricant' actually engineering test FACT or legal OPINION?
I was pretty sure you would follow up on that one! That statement was a bit strong on my part in order to make a point. Obviously it has some lubricating ability or properties. However they never suggest it as a stand alone lubricant (or even close to it) and certainly would if they could as it would increase potential sales .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
.... But I think it's important to bear in mind that the worst lubricants of today are better than the best oils of 1930.
Terry
In general I believe that is very true. However, the design and purpose for different lubricants is as varied as the specialties of medical doctors. In most cases a general practitioner is far better than no doctor at all and the same will apply to lubricants. The correct medical specialist for your particular needs will typically keep you alive much longer.


__________________
http://www.abarnyard.com/
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #27
John LaVoy
Senior Member
 
John LaVoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 1,219
Default Re: 600 w

We have used the Lubriplate listed above for years and it really is nice in the Model A transmission.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
Terry,NJ
Senior Member
 
Terry,NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bucks Co. Pa
Posts: 632
Default Re: 600 w

I'm with you! Accessability is a big consideration. I don't want to have to order a $10-12 item and pay $10-12 shipping on it besides and have to wait any appreciable amount of time. I want to hop in the car and go get it.
My choice for engine oil would be any known brand of 10-30/40 HD oil (Rotella. castrol etc. They're all good!
For Trans oil, I'm using 50/50 STP and Lucas Oil Stabilyser (sp) Seems to work, doesn't leak! Rear end, same thing. I may try JD Cornhead grease.
Steering box I'm not looking forward to tackling that yet.
Terry



Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Tguy View Post
Alright... lets try to get a listing of what lubes are best that can be purchased at the local parts store and what quantity each assembly needs. Please list what you know to work well. Thanks.

1. Engine oil
2. Transmission
3. Rearend
4. Steering box

What did I miss? A list of this info would be VERY helpful for those, such as myself, that need the wealth of wisdom available on this forum.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
Joe K
Senior Member
 
Joe K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cow Hampshire
Posts: 3,571
Default Re: 600 w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Klang! And The fight is on.....In this corner we have the STP (some with sawdust, some without) crowd! Yaaaay! Over here we have the reigning champions with 600w and, ... and, ... what's that? There's a new contender? The Lucas Gang?.....
Just trying to have some fun with these oil "Discussions"! Maybe we should not talk about what's good for a mod. A, but what to avoid and WHY. Who has blown up and engine, Transmission, or rear end, using such and such oils. But I think it's important to bear in mind that the worst lubricants of today are better than the best oils of 1930.
Terry
Ford Fudge. Is there any truth to the rumor that Ford Fudge is a good substitute for grease in the Model A Steering Column?

See Mary Moline's Book Model A Miseries and Cures for the recipe.

Not good for my hooves though. Too much sugar!

Joe K
__________________
Shudda kept the horse.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
goodoldvic
Senior Member
 
goodoldvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey shore
Posts: 237
Default Re: 600 w

let me add 900 to this thread. After getting the tranny and rear end warmed up to drain and re-fill I observed that the 1500w I had been running for about 4000 miles came out as mostly froth and thin oil. I did not observe this when I replaced the 600w I had put in the car the year before. I replaced it with 600w from the same vendor "Mikes". Anyone else notice this? Thanx
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #31
Terry,NJ
Senior Member
 
Terry,NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bucks Co. Pa
Posts: 632
Default Re: 600 w

No! But it's worth noting, Thanks for posting!
Terry




Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldvic View Post
let me add 900 to this thread. After getting the tranny and rear end warmed up to drain and re-fill I observed that the 1500w I had been running for about 4000 miles came out as mostly froth and thin oil. I did not observe this when I replaced the 600w I had put in the car the year before. I replaced it with 600w from the same vendor "Mikes". Anyone else notice this? Thanx
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
Mike V. Florida
Senior Member
 
Mike V. Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 14,052
Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 600 w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Oh what a slippery slope!
The STP MSDS LINK shows the majority content to be a mineral oil base with something less than 5% added ZDDP. The mineral oil is listed as "mixture" so that would include viscosity modifiers and tackifiers.

Has the 60+% base oil content of STP been so adulterated that it is actually no longer a functional lubricant, or have the lawyers absolved the company of liability by insisting it be mixed with a 'lubricant' so failure liability falls elsewhere?

Is the 'not a lubricant' actually engineering test FACT or legal OPINION?
What company would not want to increase it's sales by 90%?

If the product truly was a lubricant there would be no need for a legal opinion as engineering test facts would prove it to be so. With the lack of engineering test facts that prove it can be used 100%, the facts do prove 10% as evidenced by the length of time the product has been sold and the lack of lawsuits to prove otherwise and the willingness of a for profit company not looking for the max sales.
__________________
What's right about America is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity - intellect and resources - to do some thing about them. - Henry Ford II
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #33
Gold Digger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arkansas & Alaska
Posts: 569
Default Re: 600 w

I have witnessed some really big problems by mixing different lubricants. One in particular comes to mine is when I drove a truck hauling oil field equipment. One of the truckers believed in STP to the point I think he used it on his pancakes. I watched him pour it in the front hubs one morning while we were loading pipe. I was second in the convoy with him in the lead and after 300 miles down the road he pulled over and got out and shock the front wheels about 4 inches at the top. Needless to say we had to get a cutting torch to get the races off the spindles. I've seen some transmissions that looked the same way by mixing oils.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #34
Idaho Brett
Member
 
Idaho Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 46
Default Re: 600 w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
One of the truckers believed in STP to the point I think he used it on his pancakes.
I'll be laughing all day after reading this one.
Idaho Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #35
jkeesey
Senior Member
 
jkeesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenmoore Pa
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: 600 w

Ive just got 2, 5 gallon pails of Mobil 600w that I have been dishing out and selling by the quart. I have used all the ones available from the vendors(except Berts) and they are all different. Macs seems too thin, but the stuff from Snyders is rather nice.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.