Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #121
Bob C

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

I'd think the one that is not draining is the one that's stuck.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #122
ddweave

The one that isn't draining could have both valves closed.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #123
Terry, NJ

That piston is at or near Top Dead Center (TDC) and the others aren't. The cylinders are numbered 1 2 3 4 from Front to back.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #124
Fred K-OR

If you take the head off, years ago I got a Model T engine to move even after it was sitting outside for years with the head off. With the head off, I used a short piece of 4 x 4, inserted it in the cylinder and tapped on it with a hammer. I also used some of the type of stuff you are using to free it up. Good luck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #125
triple mike

I’m new in this forum. I’m working on my first model A 1928 roadster pick up. But this is not my first stuck engine. My advice is keep going with soaking with ATF and acetone. By all means take the head off because even if you loosen up the pistons the valve train can be locked up tight as mind is. As I can see the lifters are rusted as well as the valves on their seats. To help loosen the valves, I have been spraying the sauce on top of the valve face and lightly tapping them with a brass rod (shock and awe) and hammer, I have gotten three loose this way. The lifters you will have to just keep spraying them, I do mind every couple of hours. I also found that my distributer is locked up and by all this rocking you could break the distributer drive, plus the distributer drive was locked up on my engine, “take the head off”
. As everyone in this thread has said take your time, it took me over three weeks of heating and soaking to get one cylinder off a 1970 Kawasaki H1. I’ve read a few times about putting a wood dowel in the spark plug hole and tapping with a hammer, not sure about other old ford engines, but this one the spark plug is on top of the valves, so not sure how you are going to reach the piston. Good luck!
triple mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #126
Terry, NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Mike, With all due respect, "Betsey" is a 72 year old woman. I advised against any disassembly (Head, Oil pan) on the grounds that it will have to be re assembled and that may be asking a lot of her. What she needs is a competent ModA mechanic to pay her a visit and adviser her.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple mike View Post
I’m new in this forum. I’m working on my first model A 1928 roadster pick up. But this is not my first stuck engine. My advice is keep going with soaking with ATF and acetone. By all means take the head off because even if you loosen up the pistons the valve train can be locked up tight as mind is. As I can see the lifters are rusted as well as the valves on their seats. To help loosen the valves, I have been spraying the sauce on top of the valve face and lightly tapping them with a brass rod (shock and awe) and hammer, I have gotten three loose this way. The lifters you will have to just keep spraying them, I do mind every couple of hours. I also found that my distributer is locked up and by all this rocking you could break the distributer drive, plus the distributer drive was locked up on my engine, “take the head off”
. As everyone in this thread has said take your time, it took me over three weeks of heating and soaking to get one cylinder off a 1970 Kawasaki H1. I’ve read a few times about putting a wood dowel in the spark plug hole and tapping with a hammer, not sure about other old ford engines, but this one the spark plug is on top of the valves, so not sure how you are going to reach the piston. Good luck!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #127
BetsyModelA

Thank you, Triple Mike. I see a lot of value in what you are advising. Like Terry says, "I'm a 72-year-old woman." But, I'm mostly Norwegian so I don't know much about the word "can't."
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #128
BetsyModelA

Need advice: a friend wants to power wash the motor. Is that a good idea?
I can push Betsy outside on a graveled driveway. He wants to blast the Motor( and all) under the hood with a power hose connected to a container of Dawn Dishsoap. If it's an okay thing to do, I'll put the spark plugs back in. I'll admit everything under the hood is coated with oil-dirt. I have been scraping it off as I go along.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #129
Ross/Kzoo

I personally would however I'd like to hear what others have to say. If you do, put in the spark plugs, remove the plug wires/straps, put a baggie over the distributor and oil filler cap.

After you get it started there will more oil all over but but you'll start with a fresher start.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #130
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i am waiting on midget racer to come to the rescue
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #131
BetsyModelA

I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #132
ronn

Betsy, I pulled my head today and good thing I did. Everything is locked up-cylinders and valves.
You may have to do the same. Will take about an hour with a decent socket set.
Hopefully a local model A club or member can stop by to give you a hand....
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #133
midgetracer

I went to see Betsy today and with the help of a tool of Tom's design, we had the engine turning over in a very short time (great design Tom). We could quickly spin it easily with the crank and dumped a lot of MMO from the spark plug holes. Compression is good so I am comfortable that the valves are working good. We also drained about 3/4 tank of skanky gasoline and a pan full of sludgy oil with some MMO in it. The Carb will probably be ok since the gas valve was shut off and the lines were clear. The gas valve was plugged with a molasses like sludge. The very hospitable owners bought me a fine lunch and topped it off with homemade brownies. I think we all had a wonderful day. The owner now wants to try to get it running herself, but reserves the right to keep asking for support and advise. Betsy is a sweet looking survivor pickup that means the world to her owner.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #134
gweilbaker

You fine sir are a GENTLEMAN! But I really know you just like to tinker!!
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #135
Michael M

Good job midget racer, and what fine neighbor! I'm glad Betsy had your help and is making progress.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #136
Lance in St Louis

I have been lurking in the background watching this thread with much anticipation. Please keep us informed of your progress.
Lance
Lance in St Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #137
Tom Wesenberg

That's great news.
I can't take credit for the tool design though because I saw someone had made one and it was posted on Jim Mason's website. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to use a couple broken starter parts I had laying around, and make my own.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #138
BetsyModelA

Can't thank midgetracer enough for traveling all that way to help Betsy. I gained a new respect for the talent of mechanical work. It was an exciting event just watching an expert take charge of loosening Betsy's motor. What excitement! I couldn't believe my eyes as I watched the crank turn and MMO flying everywhere. I guess the only thing I can equate the feeling to was watching my first grandchild be born. I know "this is not the end, it is the end of the beginning." I am sooooo appreciative of all the concerns, suggestions, and encouragement that brought me to today's charm. I must say, I truly respect a man who steps up to a challenge, and succeeds. You truly are my "rescuer" midgetracer. You have a true gift! God Bless!!! I do realize that my work has just begun, but with your advice and instructions, I'll be able to surge on.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #139
Mitch//pa
BANNED

kudos midget racer....gooood job
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #140
Ross/Kzoo

migetracer, thanks for picking up the torch and running with it. You sure made Betsy and her owner happy.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote