Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #201
700rpm

Default Re: Model A motor froze-up

Drain the water or add anti-freeze, but I'd recommend the draining. No need to drain the oil, but a good idea to replace it with new fresh oil before storing for the winter. After you do this, turn the engine over a few times to splash the oil around (don't have to start it). Also pour a couple tablespoons down each spark plug hole. Put the plugs back in. Put a note on your windshield reminding yourself that the car has no water in it. It's easy to forget come springtime when you're anxious for your first drive.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 12-02-2013 at 07:45 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #202
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Bill, With all due respect, The diesel would work, b ut.... We/I thought that changing the method in midstream, would be not really effective and messy. Gallons of oil and diesel to be gotten rid of later. It might have been to much for a 72 YO lady to cope with.
Terry
Terry & Betsy, No big deal, I wuz jist RATTLIN'
Sometimes, it's good to hear folks response to an idea, like, "Good Idea"---"Bad Idea"---or, "Blah-Blah," might work better?? This is how we learn NEW stuff sometimes. I DON'T know EVERYTHING, either (The dumb DOG is LAFFING, uncontrollably----"O.K, Fido, you sleep in the FLOOR tonite!) I've created a MONSTER Bill W.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #203
BetsyModelA

700rpm, just a note to encourage you to see a picture of Betsy on her home page of BetsyModelA. This pic was taken last year when she was towed from one location of storage to a closer shed so I could work on her. She no longer needs to be towed!
BetsyModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #204
BetsyModelA

I love your humor, Bill. You have a refreshing way of putting things. All my best!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #205
jackson32

Well Bill Like you I have done many engines that were stuck never used anything but diesel and time I had a friend thast used brake fluid and swore by it being better . after I get them running with new oil in them I might run Kroil in carb as it runs to lube valves I have taken pligs out and taped a stuck vale down . You can do it the easy way or the hard way. Later
jackson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #206
48fordnut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi all, just finished reading all 205 post. I have a stuck A eng also.
The good is my head is off the bad is I have tried all of the different things, to no avail. The #4 cyl leaks down over night,so that is encouraging. I have a bar on the fly wheel and all I have done is break a pressure plate bolt,when I hit the bar with a hammer. I'm keeping #4 full so the fluid is going to the pan.
Another bad is the eng is out of the car. If I haven't gotten some movement by next w/e I will turn it over, take the pan off and use a liquid on the bottom of the pistons.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #207
Fred K-OR

After treating all cylinders with whatever you use, you may want to take a short piece of 4x4 and after putting it in each cylinder, tap, and I did say tap it lightly. Do this a number of times over a period of time, and you may get them to move. Then again they may not. When I had my engine rebuilt, the rebuilder had to break the pistons to get them out. (sorry about this comment by that may be where you are at)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #208
48fordnut

Fred I've tried that. I still think a little more time with the block of wood, and keeping the top of the piston covered with kerosene, lacquer thinner, and trans fluid, something will give. Going to give it another week before I turn the eng upside down.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #209
partridgekelley

All this is good advice. But if you don't drop the pan and the bearing caps ,you could waste a good set of bearings and journals on the crank.
If you can get the pistons free and it does turn over , I'd still check the insides. If a piston /rings stuck the crank could have the same stuff going on. Good Luck Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #210
48fordnut

PK, that is exactally what will happen. Since the eng is out of the frame it makes it more difficult. I have a gasket set, and will take it apart just to see what is going on.I think by this time next week it will be turning.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #211
BetsyModelA

48fordnut, I empathize. I know the frustration of trying everything, and getting nowhere. Do keep us posted as to what works for you - and something will. Patience was the best advice I was given - don't give up. Turning the motor over is sweet success when it happens - and it will. Betsy sends her best.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #212
48fordnut

Morning all,
Well the saga continues. It started with #4 cyl ,with fluid in the tops of all cyl, when I went out and uncovered the eng fluid had leaked down in #4. Well ,I kept on with the light tap with the hammer till, it was #3, then finally #2. Now that #1 is being a bit stubborn. I have a 1 7/16 socket on the ft nut ,but can't get any leverage.
Bit cold this am, but will go thru the ritual in a few minuites. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #213
Ross/Kzoo

We love to hear of your progress!
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #214
48fordnut

Merry Christmas to all, and boy did I find a present this am. I am now able to make a 1/4 revolution on the eng. More patience and diesel fuel and it will be a complete turn. Victory.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #215
Ross/Kzoo

Congratulations! Christmas came a little early for you. It should be easy to turn over soon.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #216
BetsyModelA

Good for you! I know the feeling!
Do keep us in the know as you progress.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #217
Purdy Swoft

Don't forget to use penetrant on the valves and lifters. A stuck valve or lifter will only allow the engine to turn so far. When the cam lobe reaches the stuck lifter it will quit turning. Good luck you are well on the way.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #218
48fordnut

I knew patience would pay off. Today it turns and very smooth. I will be putting it on a stand and removing the pan and all internals.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #219
Purdy Swoft

About a quart of oil or more remains in the dipper tray after the oil is drained. When you get the engine on the stand, remove the oil pan while the engine is right side up or you will have an oily mess. Just a thought, You probably already know this.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #220
BetsyModelA

For as cold as it has been in ND this winter, I am glad I drained the radiator. Should I have drained the oil out as well? I miss working on Betsy, spring is right around the corner! I hope.