Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #21
TonyM

Default Re: Jack recall, chinese junk from Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I can remember when Made in Japan meant junk, too. Not true for many years now.

Why are things made in China, because they are cheap and we want cheap. It's one of the ways Walmart became so big.

Exactly, as long as Americans want cheap, China (and Walmart) will provide it.

I do have two sets of Craftsman open ends and box end that say Made in USA. One set, purchased in the early 90s, is still in its packaging.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
As does most of SnapOn.
Most Snap-On made in China? Not sure about that.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Snap On's claim that all basic hand tools like wrenches, socket sets, screw drivers, and tool storage cabinets with that name/trademark on them are made in the USA. Their Blue Point line does not make that claim and the prices reflect that. Electrical tools like cordless drills & impact drivers with their name are not made in the USA as well as other electronic analyzers and devices. China is only one of many countries that supply the company. A lot of there stuff comes from various European countries both eastern and western and some stuff even comes from South American countries.

Since they still have a lifetime warranty on USA made products, they want to make sure they make them well but the price damn sure reflects that.
I know others will disagree and that's fine, but if you want a US made wrench, ratchet or socket (including Allen's bits, etc), it's hard to beat Snap-On quality.

Some members have come on here are said that they've had trouble getting warranty returns from Snap-On, etc. That has not been my experience.

I am not a professional mechanic by any means, but I do enjoy the few Snap-On tools I do own. They have never let me down and continue to perform as new.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #24
John R

An internet search provides some info on the ever-changing status of COO (country of origin) for various tool brands. Not the full story by any means, but some interesting info is at the following websites:
https://www.usalovelist.com/american-made-tools/
https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/#faq
Apparently, SK hand tools (wrenches, ratchets, etc. are still made in the US
US-made jack stands are available from USJack but are expensive vs HF stuff.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Exactly, as long as Americans want cheap, China (and Walmart) will provide it.

I do have two sets of Craftsman open ends and box end that say Made in USA. One set, purchased in the early 90s, is still in its packaging.
Craftsman and Craftsman Professional are some really great tools. I own a very large amount of US made Craftsman Professional (fully polished). Excellent tools and most I bought in the 90's on sale or from the clearance racks at my local Sears.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #26
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
An internet search provides some info on the ever-changing status of COO (country of origin) for various tool brands. Not the full story by any means, but some interesting info is at the following websites:
https://www.usalovelist.com/american-made-tools/
https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/#faq
Apparently, SK hand tools (wrenches, ratchets, etc. are still made in the US
US-made jack stands are available from USJack but are expensive vs HF stuff.
S-K are US made and are trying to make headway into the professional market.

There are also some really under the radar tools that are worth checking out. The US-made Kobalt sockets and impacts sold by Lowe's were actually made by Snap-On. I can't say if they are identical quality, but I have full SAE & metric 1/4" & 3/8" impact sockets from Kobalt. If you look at the font, it is identical to Snap-On, but instead it says Kobalt. I think when Lowe's was blowing them out, they were like $10 a set or something ridiculous.

I think I got turned on to these by posts on The Garage Journal.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #27
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Anyone can have a bad item released now and then. ....
I've read that HF's supplier used worn-out tooling to produce these jackstands, result being that the engagement of the pawls is much less than it should be. That's just the kind of shortcut I'd expect from Chinese.

I am always careful setting the load on jackstands, I have seen too many pictures of the saddle on these breaking off from an off-center or suddenly-applied load.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #28
Kurt in NJ

I have seen the saddle split too. They bought some at work, I refuse to use ones with cast saddle, too brittle, brought in old USA ones with forged parts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #29
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I have seen the saddle split too. They bought some at work, I refuse to use ones with cast saddle, too brittle, brought in old USA ones with forged parts
When ever possible (most all the times) when i use jack stands i leave my hydraulic jack in place just in case.

Hope
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:35 AM   #30
Ian NZ

We have been notified by the New Zealand Hot rod Association about the faulty Chinese Jack Stands. I avoid any Chinese made Motor, and Engineering products.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #31
nickthebandit

You get what you paid for. Craftsman hand tools were being made in China. Stanley Tools, of Farmington, Connecticut bought Craftsman Tools, and built a new plant in Texas to make them here in the USA.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #32
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I know others will disagree and that's fine, but if you want a US made wrench, ratchet or socket (including Allen's bits, etc), it's hard to beat Snap-On quality.

Some members have come on here are said that they've had trouble getting warranty returns from Snap-On, etc. That has not been my experience.

I am not a professional mechanic by any means, but I do enjoy the few Snap-On tools I do own. They have never let me down and continue to perform as new.
Rest assured most is made in China. I live about six miles from their Kenosha facility where most of the tools USED to be made. Not anymore.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #33
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
I've read that HF's supplier used worn-out tooling to produce these jackstands, result being that the engagement of the pawls is much less than it should be. That's just the kind of shortcut I'd expect from Chinese.

I am always careful setting the load on jackstands, I have seen too many pictures of the saddle on these breaking off from an off-center or suddenly-applied load.
Don't blame the manufacturer. The blame (properly)belong cast upon the sellers that peddle this crap. It is their choice and their choice only to decide whether or not something is "good enough" to retail...
Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #34
Automotive Stud

I'm fortunate that I don't have any of these jackstands, but many people do. I am always leery of buying from Harbor Freight, we all know the quality. But something like a jack stand seems generic enough that it would be okay. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a new USA made jack stand if you tried. I have a harbor freight floor jack I bought last year to replace my worn out 40 year old one, that was probably made in china also.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #35
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebandit View Post
You get what you paid for. Craftsman hand tools were being made in China. Stanley Tools, of Farmington, Connecticut bought Craftsman Tools, and built a new plant in Texas to make them here in the USA.
Get what you paid for? Not necessarily. While I believe that used to be a good rule, it no longer applies.
We own a clothing store and occasionally we have clients that demand US made clothing.
The first issue is to even find that. The second issue? Cost. Typically three to four times the cost of a similar item made in Viet Nam, India, etc. The third issue? Nearly 100% of the time, the USA stuff is CRAP.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #36
STEVE O

I agree with Kube. What was a good rule is no longer true. As some of people of my age say what was wrong is now right, what was right is now wrong??. I personally fell out with Snap-on after a ordeal over a torque wrench. Good luck if t ratcheting head goes bad and they no longer supply that head its all yours no help! I've tried every Snap-on person that calls on us at work and several people have taken up the issue with different reps with no luck. They will not warranty it. I understand the torque wrench side but not the ratcheting head same as there ratchets. I will say Snap-ons screwdrivers and side cutters are the best I've ever used but who know how long that will last. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #37
rotorwrench

Kenosha is likely just their headquarters now days. They have manufacturing facilities in 9 other states.

Like Harley Davidson, they wanted to become an international company so they can sell their stuff. There aren't that many items that are "made in USA". that people around the world want to buy. We have to manufacture good stuff to even be competitive in the world market.

With this Corona Virus thing, it will be interesting to see what happens to Red China. How much longer can they stand with this mix of dictatorial powers and capitalist form of international trade. Folks here in the US balked at low wages and long working hours many years ago. When will the Chinese people balk and start wanting change? Better yet, what will the rest of the world do when something happens over there? Have we become too intertwined with Red China to be able to survive on our own again? The future will be interesting indeed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #38
Tim Ayers

The Snap-On tools I use on a regular basis (ratchets, wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, picks, and other hand tools) are still made in USA without any question. What fraction of the other tools that defines "most" is certainly up for one's own interpretation.

How do I know the tools I use regularly are still made in the USA? My best friend is a Snap On dealer and I hop on his truck regularly to marvel at all the other tools I can't afford.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #39
philipswanson

HF is still selling these jacks but under different numbers. These numbers on recall are older stands, like 10 years or so. I have two which are on recall and two of the newer numbers which are still carried by HF. They all look the same to me. I am going to take the older ones back and swap them for the newer numbers anyway. The suggestion to leave a jack in place for redundancy is a good one, one I will follow. Although I never had one fail after many years of use. There are many jack stands of this same style out there under many different names and capacities. I have to wonder about all of them, not just the HF ones. I have Craftsman ones that look even cheaper. Who knows?
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #40
JT FORD

Those jack stands will never kill as many people as their Virus!
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote