Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #61
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Second version of the throttle assembly

Wow ! ! ! ! 60 postings on a part we aren't sure ever existed The tenacity of the gentlemen on the FordBarn is a good thing.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #62
Craig Lewis

Below each oiler hole, below the shaft, are 2 bulges.
I think someone indicated there's an oil saturated wick inside each bulge?

#1 question... is there some passageway for freshly applied oil to reach this wick...or is this an early forerunner of permanent/one time lubrication?

#2 another thing... of my shamefully small stash of only 6 throttle assemblies, two have the flat bottom.
Quite a few more pics have surfaced with this flat bottom unit...suggesting there must be thousands of them out there.
Is there some logical reason they didn't illustrate the flat bottom unit in the judging standards? .....Or....could it be the 2 dead guys responsible for the #2 ribbed assembly pic. actually meant to put in a flat bottom pic?
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #63
Marco Tahtaras

This is a "work in progress" for sure! It has taken a few unexpected turns. Keep in mind I had NO familiarity with the earlier versions (as I had no need) until Rusty opened this can of worms . Just kidding Rusty. I saw details presented in a few photos that provided necessary details to build on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
Below each oiler hole, below the shaft, are 2 bulges.
I think someone indicated there's an oil saturated wick inside each bulge?
When finding a "plug" and a "wick" recorded 4/5/28 it fit the idea of the oil cup I saw in Tom Wesenberg's photo from a year or two ago. I expected the wick to be between the oil cup and shaft.

Dudley cleaned and tore his down providing photos and saying the wick was BELOW the shaft but his didn't have an oil cup. His description along with the pic showing the bulges made me see them as bored oil wells.

Quote:
#1 question... is there some passageway for freshly applied oil to reach this wick...or is this an early forerunner of permanent/one time lubrication?
The holes in the top of EVERY throttle control bracket are there for oiling. However your pics of the brass oil cups which appeared to be drilled after the fact makes me think they actually originated as "plugs" and the intent may have been "permanent/one time lubrication" with the plug to keep out foreign matter. Keep in mind that the lubrication was not really needed to prevent wear but WAS needed to prevent squeaks, etc.

Quote:
#2 another thing... of my shamefully small stash of only 6 throttle assemblies, two have the flat bottom.
Quite a few more pics have surfaced with this flat bottom unit...suggesting there must be thousands of them out there.
Is there some logical reason they didn't illustrate the flat bottom unit in the judging standards? .....Or....could it be the 2 dead guys responsible for the #2 ribbed assembly pic. actually meant to put in a flat bottom pic?
That is simple albeit unfortunate. When doing illustrating (especially on computer) you don't reinvent the wheel with every similar item. You copy or retain the like portions and add in the changes that represent a different versions. Assuming the illustrator was provided the proper info, he overlooked some of the variations. That would be rare for a professional but I'm certainly not in a position to know what actually occurred.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #64
Tom Wesenberg

These threads disappear much too quickly. I had to look at the bottom of page 4 for this one. I was looking through the Service Bulletins to see what was pictured for throttle linkage and the first one is one page 337 (April, 1929) and shows the third style listed in the Judging Standards.

There is an original June 1928 Tudor in our club and I'll have to check it out the next time I get a chance, to see which style linkage it has.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #65
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
It's very important to make a couple points however. Look closely at what I wrote about cast vs. forged AND flat vs. rounded or raised bottom. You will find looking at the Standards pic (I included below) there are NO forged brackets shown (correctly) except for the type 1. What you describe on the '28 Roadster is forged and not shown in the Standards at all. What you did find is what I called either type 2b or type 2c.

Now here is an important question. Does it have the one piece or two piece forging??? As I noted in my last post it may be tough to tell in the car. However thinking about it I believe that knowing where the seam will be if applicable I believe 85% of the time we could tell by feel reaching around the back with a couple finger tips. I do recommend having a rag handy . Some cars get a bit grimy back there!

I'll reemphasize that we are very confident both the one piece and two piece forgings fall within the "type 2" category. I'm also quite confident the one piece version came first. What we DON'T know is the timelines of both versions.

Marco could use some help here from you fellows in "Ford Barn Land"! It should take less than 5 minutes too look at your cars. The cars in question
range from 6-1-28 thru(say) 12-31-28. Any help out there?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #66
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Any more help out there?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #67
d.j. moordigian

Under "Engineering Information"....for the "Throttle Assembly", I have at least one
or two questions..

Dates, 10-24-1927 and 12-10-1927...that should be Type 1
Date, 6-12-28 is the next date...is that a Type 2?
Dates, 9-12-28 and 10-16-28 follow...next or revised Types?

Is "Engineering Information", new prints, revisions, tooling or machining
change,foundry change...or just a note/letter?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #68
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Under "Engineering Information"....for the "Throttle Assembly", I have at least one
or two questions..

Dates, 10-24-1927 and 12-10-1927...that should be Type 1
Date, 6-12-28 is the next date...is that a Type 2?
Dates, 9-12-28 and 10-16-28 follow...next or revised Types?

Is "Engineering Information", new prints, revisions, tooling or machining
change,foundry change...or just a note/letter?

It appears you're looking at the assembly drawings only which I suspect some are missing including one dated 4/5/28. There are at least 149 different related drawings on file and 15 of the bracket alone. Without looking at them and/or the engineering releases it tough to determine much definitively. Some change can be as minor as the notation changing the spec on heat treatment. Others can be changing the +/- tolerance
on a hole size or radius.

Finally, it's possible the 6/12/28 date you mentioned is simply a "catch-up" on the records including a change in the bracket itself which was recorded 5/8/28, except I'd really expect it to carry the corresponding engineering release number which it doesn't.

I hope to be able to post some things in a couple days (when the rain hits) that will help or prompt folks to look at there cars for some real life feedback.

Last edited by Marco Tahtaras; 11-26-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #69
d.j. moordigian

Ya..well I thought 21 "lines" was a little short! I didn't think they would have had
there " poop in a neat pile",....there would have had more prints/revisions Guess
I'm looking in the wrong place?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #70
bigmurd

ttt
bigmurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #71
Mike Peters

I just checked my stash and can find none of the second ribbed style of throttle assembly. I have one of the early square ribbed style, and the rest later ones, like everyone else. Rod is right. Someone from JS needs to show us a real life example of the second ribbed style. mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #72
d.j. moordigian

Well...for the 3rd year in a row, I looked at the Turlock swap-meet(about 40 acres worth), for the 2nd style. Slim Pickens....and I don't mean the actor, looked at about
60-70 assembles.

Any news or update?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #73
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Rusty and Dudley,
Imagine how valuable the second throttle assembly is based on this recent ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371292506695?

Also see my site for more throttle info.

Model A Ford Garage ~ Throttle Control Assemblies
www.fordgarage.com/pages/throttlecontrols.htm
LOL,.............I think I have about $300. worth in the pile!
I look every day on ebay and when I'm out "junking" !

If,..your tired of this or need a break for a bit, I have a few other
odd ball things too look up.....which should be fun.

Thanks again to you and the guy's for all your hard work !
Dudley
Old 04-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #74
Steve Plucker
BANNED

WOW...That was some reading and excellent research by all involved on the throttle assembly.

So it has been 5-6 years now since this post/thread has appeared, what then has changed in the timeline of these assemblies date wise?

If #2 in the Standards is out (I presume it is) then #3 becomes #2 with a starting date of June 1928 with or without oil cups?

Has the Judging Standards committee's (MARC and MAFCA) addressed this subject? OR has it gone by the wayside?

Yes they changed the Standards...See the 2016 Revision!

Thanks.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 04-23-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote