Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Crab test.............

Always glad to see one of our units after some time and mileage have been logged in. Wear, finish , lube are always a concern.
This one was returned after the customer experienced a running problem. I performed a inspection this morning and ran it on the tester for a extended period of time. Many times they may be a problem but this one was almost perfect !
Sometimes when you have a problem it helps to get another thought in the repair process.

I returned the unit with this note:

9-8-2017

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx

xxxx,
After building these distributors for many years, when one is returned for any reason we are excited to see one of our products that has been used and for some period of time. I am always concerned and have made changes over the years concerning wear, good points, condensors , paint and finish in a effort to supply the very best product available today..

Testing your distributor on the machine as well as visual inspection shows very little problems ( if any) the drivers side contact set was off approx. 2 degrees of dwell ( should be 22 ˝ degree ) and is pretty normal with some wear etc. I adjusted them to 22 ˝ degree from 24. The pass side shows the distributor at 36 degrees ( spec is 36) and needed no adjustment.
Mechanical advance is 11 degrees ( 22 engine ) at 2000 rpm ( again almost perfect to spec).
Case timing is 4 degrees before TDC which is also very good.
Vacuum brake is also in very good condition and adjusted at 3 turns in. (final would need to be on a running engine)
You had mentioned rotor loose and I peened the shaft and verified with test rotor. This should have been somewhat tighter. But really no running problem ..
There is no problems found with this unit and I would be proud to ship this distributor to any customer that needed a rebuilt distributor.
If there is a problem in the driveabilty of this engine it doesn’t appear to be in the distributor ..

Always glad to help.
Jim @ Bubbas……
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Crab test.............

Forgot the picture out of the box......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2003.jpg (79.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
TagMan

If only all the Vendors were as diligent as you are !! Seems the EFV8 vendors, for the most part, are better & more concerned with providing great service.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Great Job Bubba . . . you're an awesome vendor and we're all glad to have yah!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

Cleaning up some junk boxes today and found some more info/parts in the box. Must have went to the dual coil crab in this post......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2004.jpg (46.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Although I have no need for dual coils the way I putt around, I read the post about the subject with great interest. I love stories about guys on a budget getting ready for race night, and the ingenuity needed to get it done and perhaps win. Cool photo Jim.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote