Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2024, 12:10 PM   #1
Model "A" Fords

Default Attracting new Model A members.

Seeing an ad for magazines reminded me of a clever idea.
I didn't come up with this, just remember some discussion here not long ago.

Anyone with Model A magazines to pass on, could drop one off at places with a waiting area. Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Dealerships, Hairdressers, Museums, Restaurants, Veterinarians, Lawers, Tax offices, Spaws, Tire shops, Flea markets, etc.

Some people don't know they are Model A enthusiasts until the magazine is sitting in front of them!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:42 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Attracting new Model A members.

I shave, take a shower, and put on my good duds. That seems to attract interested members of the fair sex more than when I am grubby.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:03 PM   #3
Smokedtires

That is a great idea "A". I know I would enjoy finding a Model A magazine randomly in a waiting area.
Smokedtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:28 PM   #4
Hitman

. . . .

Last edited by Hitman; 02-11-2024 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Edited
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:02 AM   #5
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
Seeing an ad for magazines reminded me of a clever idea.
I didn't come up with this, just remember some discussion here not long ago.

Anyone with Model A magazines to pass on, could drop one off at places with a waiting area. Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Dealerships, Hairdressers, Museums, Restaurants, Veterinarians, Lawers, Tax offices, Spaws, Tire shops, Flea markets, etc.

Some people don't know they are Model A enthusiasts until the magazine is sitting in front of them!
Strange you should mention this. I was in the doctors office last week and just yesterday at the Dentist. I noticed there were NO magazines in the waiting rooms. Everyone was diddling with their phones. I wonder if this is to prevent the spread of germs?

I don't know.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:42 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Placing club magazines in various places is a good idea, but it is ruined by a fear of getting COVID from them. Another attractant is Model "A" runs, especially parades. Handout club business cards.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:11 AM   #7
46HARLEY

I recently acquired an A, what magazines are you referring to? Let me know which magazines you would recommend. Thanks Larry
46HARLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:53 AM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

That is a good idea, and don't forget the waiting lounge of car dealerships particularly Ford dealerships!

Our dealership has all the old Ford coffee table books a lot of the old Lorin Sorensen books, T's-A's-V/8's, they get a lot of viewing.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:35 PM   #9
Brentwood Bob

Model t guys idea was to give the kids in the neighborhood a ride.
Simple to do. Pukkada pukkada engine back ground noise should
Add to the experience. Their eyes light up when they notice that you have to manually shift the transmission. No cell phone allowed.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:48 PM   #10
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46HARLEY View Post
I recently acquired an A, what magazines are you referring to? Let me know which magazines you would recommend. Thanks Larry
The MAFCA and MARC club magazines probably.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #11
Banditorama

I was never into the antique cars, I was a muscle car/hot rod kinda guy. Fast and loud cars, especially Mustangs. One day I was driving down the road behind a tan tudor Model A, first one I think I've ever seen in the wild. I thought to myself, "man, that is a gorgeous wicked cool car. We turned onto a two lane road and I gave the guy the thumbs up as I passed then he honked his ahooga horn at me. For some reason that just stuck with me as really cool

Maybe a month later I went to the local fall classic car auction and there it was. A tan, tudor Model A. "Old" 60s muscle cars were going for exorbitant prices and I figured that Model A would be well out of my price range. The Model A rolls up to the auction floor starting at $6k, after almost 30 seconds one guy takes the starting bid. More time passes, then the auctioneer says, "going once... going twice..." and I impulsively bid on it, fully expecting the other guy to outbid me. But nope, no one else bid on it and, to my astonishment, I ended up buying it.

Long story short, best way to attract new members is to drive them. If I hadn't seen that Model A going down the road, I probably wouldn't have ended up buying mine. That one interaction piqued my interest in the car, that I wouldn't have otherwise had just seeing it sitting in the auction parking lot
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:20 PM   #12
Brentwood Bob

Might be worth a mention in the 2 national magazines. Other ideas may develop.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:35 PM   #13
MickyD

I drive my 2 A's regularly to town. Our town is very small where I live. Welcome, NC with a Lexington, NC address. My 28 roadster gets more looks than my 31 Tudor but I am sure that is because my 28 is better looking, paint, upholstery, etc. I get stopped constantly.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:32 AM   #14
Bruce of MN

At car shows, be sure and have the hood sides up. The plug "wires" are always a hit. I like to let kids and anyone, really, sit in it. Kids like to honk the horn!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:33 PM   #15
ronn

a good supply of hot java and fresh donuts.........lores them in every time!

works on cops................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:04 PM   #16
1928Mik

I do the same as Bruce does, prop hood open. I have also put copper caps on top of the spark plugs just for show (using copper 1/2" pipe caps with a hole in the top) to mimic the old style ignitions. Looks cool with the copper wires. Many people have sat in it, from 5 to 90 year olds, always brings a smile to their faces, and some even say they would like to get one themselves......

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:29 PM   #17
Seth Swoboda

I got into early Fords because my grandfather owned model A's and V8's. He would give me rides in them and take me touring. Eventually, when I was 16 he let me drive them. That's why I'm interested in them. I still have my Model A Victoria, however, I'm big into the early V8's. I've taken the hobby to a level above my gradfather.

My suggestion, if you have kids or grandkids, take them for a ride...often. Explain to them how the car operates and let them help you work on them. If you have a neighborhood kid that's into cars, do the same for them.

There is 19 year old kid that lives near me. He drives a BMW and likes fast cars. He saw me driving a '37 Ford and I took him for a ride. Then I let him drive all my cars. He loves early Ford cars and trucks now. The kid is getting his commercial pilots license. When he has a job he wants a '33 Ford roadster. You never know.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:15 PM   #18
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditorama View Post
I was never into the antique cars, I was a muscle car/hot rod kinda guy. Fast and loud cars, especially Mustangs. One day I was driving down the road behind a tan tudor Model A, first one I think I've ever seen in the wild. I thought to myself, "man, that is a gorgeous wicked cool car. We turned onto a two lane road and I gave the guy the thumbs up as I passed then he honked his ahooga horn at me. For some reason that just stuck with me as really cool

Maybe a month later I went to the local fall classic car auction and there it was. A tan, tudor Model A. "Old" 60s muscle cars were going for exorbitant prices and I figured that Model A would be well out of my price range. The Model A rolls up to the auction floor starting at $6k, after almost 30 seconds one guy takes the starting bid. More time passes, then the auctioneer says, "going once... going twice..." and I impulsively bid on it, fully expecting the other guy to outbid me. But nope, no one else bid on it and, to my astonishment, I ended up buying it.

Long story short, best way to attract new members is to drive them. If I hadn't seen that Model A going down the road, I probably wouldn't have ended up buying mine. That one interaction piqued my interest in the car, that I wouldn't have otherwise had just seeing it sitting in the auction parking lot
And how long ago was this? Have you regretted buying it? I have other cars (Muscle, streetrod, etc) I have had my A since 1994, and I was by far the youngest guy in my local chapter at that thime.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:11 PM   #19
larrys40

Kudos Seth , it’s stuff like that, that opens their eyes and sees the beauty and styling, charm and fun if these old cars.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:24 AM   #20
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
And how long ago was this? Have you regretted buying it? I have other cars (Muscle, streetrod, etc) I have had my A since 1994, and I was by far the youngest guy in my local chapter at that thime.
I got it back in May '23 and got everything sorted out and roadworthy over that summer. The first week I had it I had a slight hesitation, this thing was so different from what I've always had. But, from then on I've had 0 regrets. This is the most fun I've had with a car since I was a teenager modifying my first car.

When I went to insure it, the agent told me I was half the age of most people that buy these things.
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote