Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default More Questions

I started the Town Sedan's new Engine today. It ran good, needs some minor adjustments, but over all good, Except it seems to run hot. I found the place where the engine ran best, The "sweet spot" on the advance lever. It took about five or so minutes and it was boiling over. I shut it down and cooled it a little. Then I retorqued the head to 60 ft lbs, and tightened the manifold. Started it up again. It may have run slightly longer and this time it didn't boil over. However, there still seemed to be quite a bit of heat coming off the engine. What am I doing wrong?

On with this! My spark advance lever doesn't reach the linkage rod. With both the distributor and the lever at full retard they are about 3/4" away from meeting. Is there a variation in either the rod length or the lever position? Can the little lever at then bottom of the steering column be changed/adjusted?

The raditor springs go on top of the tabs, not below? Correct? And how much should they be tightened?

Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: More Questions

Tighten the radiator nuts till the cotter pin can be inserted.

New engines get hot.

you can rotate the steering column to get some adjustment.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Are you starting the engine and letting it sit at one speed?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

Verify your timing. What was done to the engine?? How close are the tolerances?? Good waterpump?? If a complete re-build was the block baked, tanked or what?? Condition of the radiator??

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Big John

A new rebuild will run a bit hot till broke in a bit... You can adjust the steering column to obtain the correct advance/retard travel on your spark lever...Big John...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
PC/SR

I assume that if the spark lever will not connect to the rod from the distributor, you are keeping the distributor at retard for the start. If the distributor is set at full retard and left there, it will run hot, especially a new engine which will run hot anyway. Rotate the column and hook up the linkage as suggested. How much advance was the sweet spot?
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

It's hard to say, I can't get my head down there, but about I/2 way. I was running faster than idle. UHH rotate the column? you can do that? Tell me more!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
I assume that if the spark lever will not connect to the rod from the distributor, you are keeping the distributor at retard for the start. If the distributor is set at full retard and left there, it will run hot, especially a new engine which will run hot anyway. Rotate the column and hook up the linkage as suggested. How much advance was the sweet spot?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
Terry, NJ

The engine was a complete rebuild from Schwalms. Bored .060, Inserts, H C head. It does seem to be loosening up somewhat. I'm doing my first oil change today.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Verify your timing. What was done to the engine?? How close are the tolerances?? Good waterpump?? If a complete re-build was the block baked, tanked or what?? Condition of the radiator??

Paul in CT
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
UHH rotate the column? you can do that? Tell me more!
Terry
loosen the upper clamp below the gas tank and the lower clamp at the top of the steering box. this will allow you to turn the column until it is at the right place to connect the spark lever. make certain the lever and the upper distributor plate are both at full retard position when you line things up to tighten the column clamps. for more and better info look on Marco's web site.....