Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Grancor

Default Grancor Flathead Heads

I recently came across a set of what appears to be 32-48 Grancor Flathead Heads. They are in decent condition and I can’t seem to find out very much about them other then the fact they are rare. My question is are they worth messing with or should I just scrap them. Is anyone even interested in them and what is a estimate of a value range. I am a GM guy and know nothing about them. I don’t have a picture of them but they look exactly like the ones in the link:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=granc...t:429,r:11,s:0
Thanks Guys
Grancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Grancor Flathead Heads

Don Garlits has a set of Grancor “copper” heads in his museum. You might want to contact the museum and see if they have any interest in them. Vic
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

They wer made by andy granitelli the race car driver and very rare. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
DICK SPADARO

The heads in question are 1937-48 version made by Granatelli. They are not as widely available like Offenhauser or Edelbrock but are somewhat collectible. It is impossible to appraise them with out some kind of picture reference, it only take mistake to turn something good into junk, broken fin , stripped plug hole, blown piston damage or overheating warpage. Even cleaned up and bead blasted they could be junk due to cracks or warpage. One of the biggest problems in purchasing used heads is the previous machine work done such as high compression milling, where the heads look good but are cut so much the pistons hit the head. Anyway that is what you have the price is up to you, the condition of the part,and the pockets of the purchaser. More than $1.00 and less than $1,000,00.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
flatjack9

I've got a friend who has been trying to sell a set for a couple years. No takers. As stated, depends on the condition. Got any pictures?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
hop up

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
They are more common around the chicagoland area were Andy had his speed shop. I am sure they are very rare outside the midwest. I have seen pairs go for 400 to 800 depending on condition. Its funny I have see three singles this past summer and who would have thought
Old 11-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
Hitchhiker

They aren't common but they aren't Uber rare either. More common around Chicago as I am told. But they are rare in my area.....I'm actually looking for a runnable set to go with my intake. They are probably worth around $300-$800 dollars. But condition is KEY. If they have pitting on the head around the water holes that isn't good. Stripped plug holes aren't good either. Let me know if you want to get rid of them.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 11-02-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
Grancor

Thanks for all of the info guys. I guess they are probably useful to someone so I will not scrap them. I only asked because I had a set of aluminum drums from a 1970 Buick that had never been cut and were in perfect condition and I only made 40 dollars after I paid to have them shipped and spent several hours messing with them. I literally could have done better taking them to the scrap yard. I will not see the heads again for about a month, once I do I will take some pictures and post them here for anyone who is interested. Again I appreciate the information tremendously.
Thanks
Grancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

Some of the Grancor heads have the HD combustion chamber.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Highboy34

Ron,

You mentioned Grancor's HD combustion chambers. I saw a 49-53 Grancor set that were pocketed conventionally around the valves but had no flycutting at all over the piston. They were absolutely flat with the block. Is this what you mean? If not, have you ever seen a set of heads without some dome over the piston?

Thanks
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

No, I havent. I do know the granitelly Bros experimented with many differant things back in the late 40's early 50's. If you have a copy of my book there is a picture of a
Grancor with the HD chamber in a pop-up head.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote