Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
29 Tudor

Default Planning on a Shop Lift, Two or Four Post?

I'm planning on ordering a lift for my home shop in the not-too-distant future and I'm looking for recommendations. I have several cars to lift, one of which is my Model A. I'm leaning toward a two post since most all of the use will be for maintenance and repairs. I know it takes TALL lift extensions to get to the A frame but I wonder if anyone has experience with a two post or is a 4 post what most guys use?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
29 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
jcheshire31

Default Re: Planning on a Shop Lift, Two or Four Post?

Depends on if you plan on storing a car on one for an extended period of time. If that's the case I would go with the 4 post. My advice, don't go cheap when it comes to lifts, because in the end it'll wind up expensive.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
29 Tudor

No storage. It will be used for maintenance and repairs almost exclusively. Any problems lifting an A with the frame?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
CalMI

I had a two post but got rid of it because I couldn't lift my A on it due to the running boards and brake rods.
My next one will be a four post.
Cal
CalMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
29 Tudor

Did you not have enough spacers to get to the frame or are the brake rods in the way? I want to be sure I can lift the A.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I've used a lot of 2 post during my employments, and ALWAYS wished they were 4 post. I'd buy a 4 post.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
29 Tudor

Interesting comment. Can you elaborate? I would think that most maintenance would be easier with the wheels hanging free. Is there a point I am missing?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
shepsvettes

Love my 4 post.
shepsvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
29 Tudor

Does the 4 post get in the way for routine work? How about brake adjustments with mechanical brakes?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
SteveB31

We have one of each. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. 2 post is better for removing rear ends and for brake work. 4 post is better for everything else. We had to make brackets for our two post so it would lift from the frame, as the runningboards get in the way. If you need photos of our brackets for the two post, just let me know.
Steve Becker Bert's Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
29 Tudor

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Do you work on other vehicles other than A's? If you could only have one (and worked on "modern" cars as well), would you go two or four post?

Steve
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Roadster62

There is one of each at the shop I work at. The four post is a real good one and it is nice to be able to store two cars in the space of one. The two post with enough arm extentions will lift about anything, but setting them in the proper locations is sometimes troublesome. A two post can be user to lift a body off the chassis, a nice feature I think.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
29 Tudor

I won't need the ability to store one under the other so given that (and the proper lift brackets) it sounds like the 2 post would be your choice?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
5window

I looked at a lot of lifts,but haven't yet purchased anything. No one has mentioned safety, but your car isn't going to fall off a four post lift. In any case, I would carefully check out all the safety features and fail-safe mechanisms of any lift you think about purchasing.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
29 Tudor

Well said. I think safety is paramount regardless of which I get.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Keith True

There are things you can/can't do with either one without extra work.I have a two post,and I have standoffs made up for the A's and pickups.It takes a little bit of fiddling to get the posts just right under the A's,but it takes lots more to get them under a modern Ford pickup.One thing you don't want to do is adjust the brakes on an A with the wheels hanging.They are a;ready half applied when the hanging wheels are pulling on the brake rods.The stations I worked at years ago had ramp type lifts,same idea as the four post.They had their drawbacks,but we just worked around them.I would put a car up to do brake work,set some stands under the front or rear ends,and let the lift back down until the tires cleared the deck.Then I had a nice big table to work on.Now they have rolling jacks to use under a car for the four post.Unless you are going to use it every day for different things I would go with a four post.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
mrtexas

I have a MaxJax two post lift. The lift mechanism is 4 foot long hydraulic cylinders which is much different than most which have lots of cables. It is designed for 4 inch slabs and 9 foot ceilings and is only rated for 6,000 as a result. I don't have a car over that anyway. The highest it goes up is about 4 feet high so you can't stand under your car but can sit on a rolling chair which I like better anyway. To lift a car up enough to stand under it you need a minimum of 12 foot ceilings. I have 9 footers. It makes work a whole lot easier. The advantage of a two post is it doesn't take up much space and you can work on the wheels easily. I can unhook the MaxJax and store it away. The disadvantage is the post gets in the way of your driver's door.

You need an extra set of arm ends which are 3 inches tall for a total of 6 inches to reach the model A frame that is way up there compared to a modern car.

I had to make two sets of anchor holes in the concrete to handle the model a(narrow) and modern cars(wide). The arms on this particular lift are short.

Next one I'd probably get a 4 post.

Last edited by mrtexas; 06-30-2011 at 08:45 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
29 Tudor

Thanks for the thoughts. You guys aren't making the decision any easier though!<grin>

I do appreciate the thoughts and comments.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
Bill Steiner

I use the Rotary brand two post lifts in my shop. We have 10 lifts. No problem with them. Bill
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Tudor View Post
Interesting comment. Can you elaborate? I would think that most maintenance would be easier with the wheels hanging free. Is there a point I am missing?
With a 4 post you can get an extra deal that goes between the tracks that has a jack to let you work on the wheels.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #21
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcheshire31 View Post
Depends on if you plan on storing a car on one for an extended period of time. If that's the case I would go with the 4 post. My advice, don't go cheap when it comes to lifts, because in the end it'll wind up expensive.
Hard to find one not made in China today. Most of the US manufacturers are making them in China as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #22
modeleh

How about a single post? It disappears into the floor and I put a sheet of 1" plywood over it, out of sight, out of mind. All you need is compressed air to run it. The downside is you have to dig a hole 9 feet deep to install it. And it was free!

modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #23
29 Tudor

I have found that to be true. There is one vendor that I saw in Detroit on the Power Cruise that makes them here and in China. They are the same lift but the domestic ones are about $1500 more. I would prefer to buy US but we'll see what's offered. The Rep said if it was his money, it would be hard to justify the difference. He said they both go through the same certification and quality tests. Sad that we have gotten to that point.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #24
29 Tudor

I hadn't thought about a single post. Thanks for adding more variables to the decision process!!<grin>
Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have both at my shop. lifting an A on a 2 post requires at least 1 ft extensions. depending on the type of work i am doing depends on which lift it goes on. setting up on a 2 post requires a little time as you need to fish the pads around the brake rods etc. there is alot of frame flex on a model A frame when set up on a 2 post. if i am pulling drums or doing brake work on a 2 post i disconnect the brake rods as the wheels are basically locked when hanging in the air. working on a 4 post is a little tougher as you need to work around the ramps and get used to whacking your head on the front and rear beams but the car is steady on it. another option is a 4 post with built in roller jacks that enable you to lift the wheels up off the ramps. as stated both have pros and cons and in my case it depends on the job being performed. in lifts you get what you pay for so those cheaper Chinese or inexpensive portable units stay away from. a 4 posts takes up more space because of the 4 posts involved. getting back to your original request 2 or 4 post for the home i would put in both..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (55.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (76.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (55.9 KB, 29 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #26
29 Tudor

You are not the first to suggest that I get both!

Hard to justify though for a home shop.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Keith True pretty well said what I was going to elaborate about the hoists. Considering most of the work on the hoist would be oil changes and grease jobs or other jobs that don't need the wheels off is one big reason for choosing the 4 post. Extra storage is another, even though you say you don't care about extra storage. I'd rather drive on and lift the car than have to get down on my hands and knees to jockey around some props under the frame.

The last business I worked at with a 2 post hoist was really scarey, as the posts rocked back and forth. The cement was poured too wet and wasn't as strong as it should be. I'm sure OSHA would have shut us down if they saw the 2 post hoist I had to work under. Actually I've prefered the in ground one post over the above ground 2 post. As mentioned the post is always in the way of the door.

4 post first choice
1 post in ground 2nd choice
2 post last choice
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #28
Tom F OHIO

How high is your ceiling? A good friend of mine that is in his 80's still works on the
model A's for guys. I had my car at his house and he has a 4 post lift and it sure was nice to be able to lift it up and I stood under the car to grease it. I'm 6'0 and had no trouble. He does brake work all the time. He lifts the car up so far and puts it on jacks like the other fellow said and sits there and works on them.
Tom..
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #29
29 Tudor

Great thoughts Tom. I appreciate it. Years ago, I worked in a station that had a one post but it was VERY inconvenient for a lot of the under car work. Tranny work for example was impossible.

You guys have me leaning toward a quality 4 post.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
Mitch//pa
BANNED

a symetric lifts the post is in front of the door. i believe you need 4 inches of concrete to properly anchor a lift especially 2 post. the problem with in ground lifts which are basically out dated is serviceability and oil leakage causing ground contamination.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #31
29 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F OHIO View Post
How high is your ceiling? A good friend of mine that is in his 80's still works on the
model A's for guys. I had my car at his house and he has a 4 post lift and it sure was nice to be able to lift it up and I stood under the car to grease it. I'm 6'0 and had no trouble. He does brake work all the time. He lifts the car up so far and puts it on jacks like the other fellow said and sits there and works on them.
Tom..
Hi Tom,

I will have 12 foot eaves with the area over the lift being probably 16 feet or so. The shop will be 30 X 35.

Steve
Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #32
29 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
a symetric lifts the post is in front of the door. i believe you need 4 inches of concrete to properly anchor a lift especially 2 post
My floor is supposed to be 4 inches minimum of 3500 PSI concrete. It still scares me to think about bolts going into anchors in the floor holding up a car!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
My floor is supposed to be 4 inches minimum of 3500 PSI concrete. It still scares me to think about bolts going into anchors in the floor holding up a car!

yea i know what you mean but its not really pulling on the anchors. a lift is designed so that when the auto is properly lifted its balanced so even if you unbolted it when the car was in the air it would'nt fall unless you really rocked it. i never tried it though
go with a 4 post and the roller jacks youll be set
Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
We have one of each. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. 2 post is better for removing rear ends and for brake work. 4 post is better for everything else. We had to make brackets for our two post so it would lift from the frame, as the runningboards get in the way. If you need photos of our brackets for the two post, just let me know.
Steve Becker Bert's Model A Center
I have had a two post for 25 years. It has served me well. I do have to mess around when using it for my "A"s but there is nothing in the way when working on the wheels, brakes, tranny, etc. Steve, if you could send me pictures of the brackets that you made, I would appreciate it. Don/WI By the way, mine is a two post "in ground" type.

Last edited by Don/WI; 06-30-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added last line for clarification.
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #35
Art Bjornestad

I have a 2 post and it was great when I was a young guy but at 77 I have a very hard time getting up and down. You have to get all the way down to make sure the pads are lined up with the frame and the car seems to get in a little different each time.

A 4 post takes more floor space but I sure wish I had one.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #36
Kurt in NJ

I have an older 2 post rotary, I use it for many different cars, there are extensions for the pads that I want to buy, but I still use it for the A, I have a wood spacer that I use now, if I had the space and money I would have 4 different lifts, 4 post drive on, the 2 post I have now, a 2 post in ground with arms that swing in, and the 2 post in ground that lifts the front and rear axle.

the type of floor you have ,and the heigth of your roof are factors, if your floor is borderline the 4 post, or 2 post that has a connected base are good choices.
If you are prone to hitting your head on things look for sharp edges on the arms ---some lifts are better--

Go look in some garages and see if you can look at their lifts, if you are tall some lifts don't go up far enough.

With a 2 post lift the installation is important, if both posts are not parallel the car will move every time you go up and down and schooch off the pads.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #37
james heider

I have a Kwik Lift that works well for me check them out at the link I have listed.
http://www.kwiklift.com/
james heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #38
james heider

The Kwik lift I have is the low drive on ramp . Very easy to use and you can put dollies under the legs and roll it around.
james heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #39
29 Tudor

Great information! I have to say that at this point, I think the four post (with the sliding jack plate) is winning in my mind.

Thanks for the discussion!

Steve
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #40
CWPASADENA

I have used both 2 and 4 Post lifts. The ramps really get in the way with a 4 Post Lift. I find 4 Post Lifts and good for storage and stuff like oil changes and polishing your car.

If you are really getting into heavy work, I would strongly recomend a 2 Post. 2 Post Lifts are good for working on the brakes, front and rear end and under car work like exhaust, transmissions etc. and there are no ramps to get in the way. The whole underside of the car is accessable with a 2 post.

I have an old Wever "In Floor" (side by side) Two Post Lift that is really nice as you do not have all the support stuff sticking up in the way when the lift is not being used. I can easily get my Model As on the lift as the pads on the arms are such as they will extend and reach the frame with only the addition of an small 2 X 4 Block laid flat against the frame.

My Opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #41
Kevin in NJ

CRAIGSLIST

That is what I have to say!

I monitor the tools section of craigslist in my area and several times a month I see quality lifts come up for sale. They seem to range in price from $1000 to $3000 and all that I have paid attention to were major names I recognized. Most are 2 post with some 4 post.

Just wish I had the building that I could put in lift.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Roger V

I have a four post Autolifter made in the US. I agree that there are times when a two post would be more convenient as previously mentioned. I guess I feel safer with the four post. Maybe it was the story of a friend who was a mechanic at Roush. A fellow mechanic working next to him removed the rear end and the vehicle fell off the two post lift as he didn't have it balanced. I don't use mine for storage though I have 12'7" clearance. Yes, I have hit my head when I "thought" I was clear. I have six inches of concrete in that area though it requires only four inches. BTW, one of the most important details IMO is that the cross rails have collar ends that surround the post in order to keep it rigid. I don't have to bolt it to the floor and can move it with casters if needed. Many/most of the cheaper or foreign made have cross rail ends that are inside slotted columns. Those should be anchored to the floor. Backyard Buddy is similar to mine and made in the US too. Ironically, some times you get your wish. Before I complained about access working off a creeper on the floor under a car. Now I complain about my neck hurting from looking up from a standing position as well as not seeing very well through the top of my glasses close-up! Oh well............
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #43
700rpm

Oops. Deleted this question after I reread an earlier post.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #44
29 Tudor

Great information! Decisions, decisions.....
Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #45
RPMREX

With the four post they have heavy trays that slide front to back that you can jack up the car to remove tires or rearends etc. The doors open freely and the ramps come off also. I would only buy a 4 post. I also put the casters on and moved the lift outside to lift up the '40 so I could get it up in the air more due to lower ceiling height.
RPMREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #46
Keith True

If you do go to a four post,make sure the jacks are available for it.They are not offered for all lifts.You can overthink the whole deal,and wind up scratching your head worse than when you started.You can,'what if' yourself to death.My lift is a German made one,about 20-25 years old.I forget the make.Half the time I am swearing because it is not a four post,and the other half I'm glad it is not.Losing a car off a lift is not the fault of the lift,it is stupidity.When I take the rear end out of an A I chain the back of the car down to the lift arms.The front lift posts are under the motor mounts,and the rears are under the frame,outboard of the radius rods.When I take that rear end out,I am losing a lot of ballast.I did have a go-around this morning with my lift,I thought I nearly lost a truck off it.I had an 06 F150 going up,at about chest level there was a crash and the truck laid over and dropped a foot on one side.I really thought it slid off the perches on one side.Turns out my perch setting was fine,it was the perch going up through the frame and into the floor.The guy just bought the truck Monday,at a wholesale yard.This business is geared to sell to used car dealers,but anybody is welcome to buy.There is no going back there,they just sell the cars for the owners,they know nothing about them.It is made very clear to buyers that what you see is what you get,and what you don't see you get anyway.They are not a retail dealer.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
Maclab58

I have a two post and love it. It takes up less floor space and is easy to walk around. Just make sure you have the car centered properly on the lift before you go up with the it.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #48
29 Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I'm thinking along the same lines as mitch//pa..........there is an awful lot of frame flex on a Model A Ford to hang it out there on a 2 post hoist for very long.

If it were me I'd go for the 4 post for safety's sake and ease of doing regular maintenance which is more than likely what you will spend 90% of your time doing, oil changes, cleaning the underside, etc. etc.

You can buy additional goodies to jack up the car on the four post and pull a wheel from time to time. Realistically speaking, like I said, you will be spending more time greasing, oil changes, etc. FAR more than re-doing brakes and the like.
I'm just about where you are Jeff. The vast majority of my work will not involve having the wheels off the ground and the idea of the frame flexing that much concerns me. I'm thinking a good four post with the jacking platforms might be in my future.

Steve
Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #49
Chris in WNC

we have a Backyard Buddy 4-post
very high quality, US manufactured.

I would not trust my life to anything less.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #50
Randall

Like my Rotary 2 post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dean hunter 048 (Small).jpg (45.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg dean hunter 049 (Small).jpg (39.6 KB, 14 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #51
29 Tudor

Thanks for all the inputs and comments. I think I am about convinced that a quality 4-post lift is in my future along with one (or maybe two) jack plates. The vast majority of my work will be oil changes and routine service so I think that will suit me fine.

Steve
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #52
Red Mark

I've also been considering a lift for the barn. In my opinion, a four post is the way to go. Wheel removal is a down-side but, can easily be accomodated with a floor jack. Some four posts are movable, so you can roll it out into the driveway for more working space. Also, if you have a motorcycle, a four post can double as a motorcycle lift.
Red Mark is offline   Reply With Quote