Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
bill h

Default Re: Grease fittings

Sorry to cause such a fuss. Just trying to find out about a few fittings.Example My u joint cover does not have a fitting or even a hole for a fitting. ?? I now have a new one that does. I can not find the fittings or plugs at the rear axle bearings but i can pull the drums for that. I was just checking to see if they all had fittings. Thanks to all who helped.
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Grease fittings

Forget the rear bearing plugs...I don't believe you will find even plugs there. Pack the rear bearings by hand with good wheel bearing grease, let your grandchildren do the next lube there. I would assume Ford killed off those fittings because of grease monkeys putting in chassis grease. They had a similar problem with early Model A's... the steering oil was put in via zerk at the factory, so mechanics would pump the steering full of chassis lube and quickly kill the gears! I have no idea why they never removed the zerk on the U-joint, which clearly had the same problem. Your car probably just had two of one half rather than a pair of U joint covers.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)