Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
cabrioletgalaxie

Exclamation starting problem after sitting 1947

So after cleaning my carb and finding a sliver of metal in the gross jet the car would start and run well. Turned it off and started it half hour later and it ran fine.
Tried starting it after letting it sit for about a week it took a long time to fire. I had to crank it over several times with the choke in different positions. It seemed there wasn't enough gas to start it.
I am wondering if there is a situation where the gas might drain itself from the bowl after sitting for a number of days. Is this a common problem?
History: The fuel pump was replaced 2 weeks ago, carb rebuilt last year, new gas tank last year.
Thanks.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
philipswanson

Default Re: starting problem after sitting 1947

Next time it sits and won't start, remove the air cleaner and see if the accelerator pump is pumping gas. If not you carb dried up either thru evaporation or down thru the power valve. Basic troubleshooting needed here.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
So after cleaning my carb and finding a sliver of metal in the gross jet the car would start and run well. Turned it off and started it half hour later and it ran fine.
Tried starting it after letting it sit for about a week it took a long time to fire. I had to crank it over several times with the choke in different positions. It seemed there wasn't enough gas to start it.
I am wondering if there is a situation where the gas might drain itself from the bowl after sitting for a number of days. Is this a common problem?
History: The fuel pump was replaced 2 weeks ago, carb rebuilt last year, new gas tank last year.
Thanks.
These old Fords are all hard to start after sitting a few days. I don't over work the starter or run the batteries down. I like to have two people. One inside working the throttle and choke. I remove the air cleaner and give
a shot of starting fluid down the carb as soon as it turns over. Usually they
kick off on the first or second turn. Then if it starts to die I will give it short quick shot to keep it running until it picks up gas from the tank. I just
started 6 or more this week that have not been run for a few years.
We had one with a stuck needle valve. Shot some carb cleaner in it and
it freed up. G.M.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
richard crow

save your starter install a elect pump with a switch when car sits a long time turn the pump on you will here the sound change when carb is full also good in very hot weather if car vapors lock
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
J Franklin

If you have removed the fuel line make sure it is tight and not allowing an atmospheric leak that will allow the gas to siphon back to the tank. Also the modern gas evaporates faster than real gasoline.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
tubman

I had a similar problem with my '51 a few years back. After a lot of sleuthing, I tracked it down to a slight leak around the glass sediment bowl on the fuel pump. Over a period of time, the fuel in the carburetor would evaporate enough for it to be a little low. While the car ran fine the rest of the time, this small air leak compromised the function of the pump enough to make starting very difficult. I solved it by replacing the gasket on the fuel bowl. I eventually ended up re-surfacing the top of the glass bowl using my surface plate and some "wet-or-dry" sandpaper. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I have found cork sediment bowl gaskets seem to do a better job of sealing than the neoprene ones. I mention this because you mentioned that you had recently replaced your fuel pump and also to show that the strangest things can cause problems.

You can ignore this entire post if you do not have a sediment bowl on your fuel pump
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
cabrioletgalaxie

All good info, thanks. I do use the cork sed bowl gasket. The rubber ones I have seen swell up once they have come in contact with gas.
New power valve went in with carb rebuild. Checked it to see it was flat on the bottom as I listed to Charlie's video on the 94 carb rebuild. He said that most of the repros power valves were tapered and never sealed. Mine is flat and has a gasket.
One think I installed was an inline fuel filter within the rubber hose ahead of the mechanical fuel pump. I have heard they could limit the flow and be too much for the fuel pump to pull through. Someone suggested to install it after the fuel pump, ahead of the carb. Any thoughts?
Maybe the comment about the gas draining out is related to it going right down through the power valve. Not sure how I would know if that was happening unless some crud can lodge in it. Is it supposed to have a one way valve to prevent this?

Will check out the other possibilities as well that were mentioned in the posts. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
tubman

Take the top off of the carb and make sure the bowl is full. Put a cover of some kind (i use aluminum file as it easily conforms to the shape of the carb) and let it sit overnight. If the fuel level in the bowl is lower the next day, it is indicative of a leaking power valve. This is the last step I take when rebuilding a 94. I have found a leaker or two over the years, even with new parts.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #9
cabrioletgalaxie

Tubman, thanks for that comment. Other guys have mentioned that. My question is where does it leak, around the power valve or through it? Is there a check valve in it that fails?
Old 04-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
tubman

It really doesn't make any difference. It is either the valve itself or the gasket. I have never heard of anyone repairing a power valve. You just replace it. When you have it out, inspect the gasket and the seat in the bowl carefully for imperfections. Where did you get the power valve that you installed? If you got it from a regular parts store, it may be the wrong one. Later Holley 4 BBL's take a unit that looks identical and will even screw into the bowl, but they have a slightly different seating surface and usually leak. They can be made to fit if you have a lathe, but it is best to get one from a reliable source, like "Charlie ny".
Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
One think I installed was an inline fuel filter within the rubber hose ahead of the mechanical fuel pump. I have heard they could limit the flow and be too much for the fuel pump to pull through.
I don't think it would limit the flow. But I have heard that rubber hose on the suction side of the fuel pump is not a good idea. If the clamped hose is not absolutely air tight it can suck a little air even though it doesn't show a leak. Pump will find it easier to suck air than gasoline.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #12
RKS.PA

I'm with richardcrow in post #4 above. Replace your in-line filter with an electric pump. They usually come with a filter attached to the inlet side of the pump. My stock pump pulls through the electric with no problem. I, too, run the pump after my '47 has been sitting a few days. You can tell when the sound changes that the float chamber is full.

Am running a freshly rebuilt carb. by Charlie ny and know my power valve is good. In my case, the heat from the engine/intake manifold after shut down evaporates the gasoline.

Your starter will thank you for the electric pump prime!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
fortyonerag

I had a similar problem a few months ago. Turned out one of the fuel pump check valves had dislodged itself.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #14
cabrioletgalaxie

Ok, back to the car this afternoon and found the sed bowl seeping gas. So will first try the glass bowl sanding to make it flat and check the gasket. It is cork and I too like them better.
The power valve came with the new carb kit from NAPA. I checked it last week when I went through the carb and found the sliver of metal in the gross jet.
The power valve was removed and the seat in the carb body was shiny and flat as was the bottom of the power valve was turned flat with a gasket, not like the poor one shown in Charlie's video. That being said I may just order one of his valves and some of those teflon/nylon washers that he likes so much.
Fuel pump has been replaced a week ago after the new one (year old) failed for some reason. It did not have the replaceable check valves so it went in the trash.
Elec. fuel pump would be easy but I am a stock guy and don't really want to do it. Hopefully I can replace the power valve, stop the leak in the sed bowl and it will be good. I have brand new Corbin clamps on the rubber hoses attached to the inline filter. Seems very tight.
Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #15
tubman

I applaud your desire to "keep it stock". Ford motor company engineers didn't think an electric pump necessary. Granted, these cars were usually started several time a day when new, not so much these days. I am sure that I will be using my squirt bottle of gas to give my '51 a little boost when I get back from 6 months in away this winter, but after that, it should be fine (it always has been).