Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
36tudordeluxe

Default Brusegard upper steering column bushing/bearing?

Installed the Brusegard bearing/bushing in my '36 steering column tube many years ago and have since lost install instructions. Can anyone tell me the depth from the top of tube how far in the roller bearings should be. I think I may have installed it incorrectly and never tightened the set screws because I installed the roller bearings too deep.
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Brusegard upper steering column bushing/bearing?

The entire bearing and races should be in only about 1/8" in from the top when assembled. When installing the final piece get it down all the way and then bring it back up slightly. This will ensure there is no pressure on the bearing due to assembly. Tighten the two set screws using the short reach allen wrench supplied with the bearing.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
36tudordeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The entire bearing and races should be in only about 1/8" in from the top when assembled. When installing the final piece get it down all the way and then bring it back up slightly. This will ensure there is no pressure on the bearing due to assembly. Tighten the two set screws using the short reach allen wrench supplied with the bearing.
Terry, thanks fort responding. When you say 1/8" from the top do you mean from where the tube begins to bell out? If not then the bearings wouldn't be fully seated. By the "final piece" you mean the bushing should be installed after shaft is in the tube? Been so long since I did this I forgot how I did it. Okay, now I see what you mean by "the entire bearing and race" should be 1/8" from the top. Went out in the garage and checked tube it now makes sense. Thanks!

Last edited by 36tudordeluxe; 02-19-2014 at 04:25 PM.
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

I have two of his bearing kits that have never been installed. They should still have his instructions included. PM me if you would like me to make a copy for you.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote