Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
29 roller

Default 29 speedster

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building a boat tail speedster from a complete 29 rolling chassis that a guy gave me . When I picked up the car he claimed that it does run and even included the title for the car , it was a tudor but the body was used for a street rod. The motor is free and trans goes through all gears. Next I want to check out the motor and get it running and make sure everything is okay but if it's junk then I'm not going to do the build.

I would like to build the car and keep it but money is a little tight right now so it may be a build and then sell deal but I hope not. I know that any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but what would a boat tail speedster be worth ??? Just a ball park figure.

I just want to make sure that I don't get more money in it than what it's worth. I do all my own work here in my shop (mechanic , body and paint , upholstery) so it will save me money and plus the car was free .
And please be gentle with me as this is my first post.

Thanks
29 roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
SLPreston53

Default Re: 29 speedster

Because speedsters are so "personal" in terms of how they should look, it appears that if you want to essentially "flip" the car you might be money ahead by finding an A body you like and restore that. That way, if you are forced to sell (been there...) you have something worth more on the open market than a speedster you built to your taste but not as attractive to potential buyers.
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 roller View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building a boat tail speedster from a complete 29 rolling chassis that a guy gave me . When I picked up the car he claimed that it does run and even included the title for the car , it was a tudor but the body was used for a street rod. The motor is free and trans goes through all gears. Next I want to check out the motor and get it running and make sure everything is okay but if it's junk then I'm not going to do the build.

I would like to build the car and keep it but money is a little tight right now so it may be a build and then sell deal but I hope not. I know that any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but what would a boat tail speedster be worth ??? Just a ball park figure.

I just want to make sure that I don't get more money in it than what it's worth. I do all my own work here in my shop (mechanic , body and paint , upholstery) so it will save me money and plus the car was free .
And please be gentle with me as this is my first post.

Thanks
Welcome to Fordbarn. I must be brutally honest with you that in all likelihood, you WILL have more in your car than it will sell for. The exception would be if you are a phenomenal craftsman that would construct something that would be "cutting edge". Most speedsters sell in the $5k - $10k range depending on quality and 'degree of difficulty'.

I also agree that you need to consider how the Speedster was originally constructed, --and why. Most times, it was a young lad who much like yourself did not have deep pockets but wanted a cool car. Therefore they looked in magazines at pictures and found something they liked. Today that would be much akin to visiting the Northwest Speedster Ass'n. Then using what resources they had available to them, they constructed that dream car. I suggest you consider doing the same. Don't look for ways to spend money on speed equipment, but instead look for ways to use what you already have and make it better. Then upgrade along the way as time & finances allow. Good luck.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
29 roller

I do know what you mean about the car being a personal thing cause I'm already in that with another car and it's not fun.

I was going to work with what I already have , did'nt want to go for any high dollar stuff just make something nice and reliable but now you guys have me thinking.
But I think I'll get her running and see where this leads , maybe that will change everything.
Thanks for the quick response.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
QGolden

If you have nothing into it, and it is in decent shape, and you can get it running without investing too much into it, you have some value there. If you were to put it in good running safe condition as a rolling chassis (brakes etc.) it is worth about 2000.00 or so, (IMO) to someone who wants to build a speedster or use it under a Model A build. So if you need to flip it, you could make some short cash based upon what you have into it. If the tires are good and the Engine/Frame numbers match, probably worth a little more.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Brian LI

I can vouch for the ract that a 1941 Ford hood can make a nice tail once it's pie cut to narrow it a bit....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 971079_547575731954609_691173275_n.jpg (102.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 417833_547575691954613_1720193017_n.jpg (84.8 KB, 63 views)
Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Wick

Here's a cheep Speedster for you...get it running. Battery is less then $100 find a cowl @ $35.00 get a back seat out of a Jeep wrangler $5-75.00 put a old 40 something hood on the back end. $35-100.00 Use a wind wing for the drivers windshield $25.00 Tractor or Model T gas tank,$10-75.00
Hershey is 16 weeks away...spend a day there and you can pick up some great stuff cheep!
I also Agree with Qgolden..and you have a Tital thats a Big Plus!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
usered

I pretty much agree with what's been said above. I think it also depends on what you want to do with it. Are you putting it together to sell and try and make some money or do you have another purpose, race it or show it. To race it or show I don't believe you will be able to make any money on it, but certainly you can enjoy it.

I built mine (see picture of my dad and enjoying it) to race in hill climbs and rallies, no way will I ever get my money back out of it, but that was a given going in and my dad and I sure enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0109.jpg (71.1 KB, 73 views)
usered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
29 roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
If you have nothing into it, and it is in decent shape, and you can get it running without investing too much into it, you have some value there. If you were to put it in good running safe condition as a rolling chassis (brakes etc.) it is worth about 2000.00 or so, (IMO) to someone who wants to build a speedster or use it under a Model A build. So if you need to flip it, you could make some short cash based upon what you have into it. If the tires are good and the Engine/Frame numbers match, probably worth a little more.
Funny you say that cause i was just out in the garage looking at it and thought the same thing , just make it a nice roller and then sell it.

If I had the cash I would find a body for it but that's not an option . I didn't mention the other parts that came with it,
4 front fenders
2 rear fenders
2 radiators
radiator shell
cowl gas tank
hood top
firewall

This was all headed to the scrap yard but I saved it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Ross/Kzoo

So far the information that you've been given is spot on. I started with a $2000 chassis and did all the work except the upholstery. I figured I'd have about $3-4,000 in it. I'm in more than double that but it did turn out nicer than I thought that it would. Mine is a bob tail. I started to make a boat tail using a 40 Chevy hood. It looks real nice but I haven't completed it yet.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
29 roller

usered
This started out as one of those projects that I wanted to build and run around in and have some fun and maybe take to a couple of shows , but now it maybe just a way to make extra money but that may change. By the way guys love the speedsters , makes really want to build this one.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Heres mine, its nothing fancy. I cut down a junk 30 cowl, narrowed the dash.and modified the column bracket. I used some lumber and plywood that I had for the platform. The seats are boat seats. I had a good gas tank that came off a Gordon Smith compressor unit. I cut down a junk tudor spare tire bracket for a custom fit for the rear mounted spare tire. I ran it for a while with a completely stock engine. I built another engine with a 5.9 head, Winfield cam and dual updraft B carbs. I don't have that much money in it. If I found a good roadster body it would bolt right on
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
jkeesey

29 Roller where are you in PA? I built my jalopy pickup originally as a speedster but it developed over time. I have about $1,000 of parts into it.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
29 roller

jkeesey , I'm in somerset county.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Logan

When said and done, I might have $5000 invested in my boat tail speedster. I have no doubt i could easily triple my money. but i dont plan on selling it anytime soon. But I did all mechanical, I made the body, did the body work, and I also painted it. And that was using sherwin Williams premium quality single stage paint. I don't mess with the cheap stuff. If I ever figure out how to post a picture from my phone, I'll post one

Last edited by Logan; 06-18-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
29 roller

Yeah I'd like to see it . Thats my plan to do all the work myself since I have all the equipment to do it.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 roller View Post
Yeah I'd like to see it . Thats my plan to do all the work myself since I have all the equipment to do it.
I'll mow the lawn. Then come in and download all my pics to my computer then post what I have.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Logan

Well its not letting me post pictures on here for some reason. But my cowl was just a stock 28/29 cowl. I then used 1x2 steel tubing for the subframe of the body. Then for the skeleton of the body i believe i used 1 inch electrical conduit. It might have been 1 1/2 inch. But the electrical conduit allows you to bend it relatively easy without any expensive tools, and as long as you are a decent welder you can weld on it also. Just turn your amps down really low and you'll figure it out pretty quickly after burning a few holes lol. the conduit is flexible by itself, but when its welded together its actually really strong. I could stand and jump on mine and it wouldnt flex. For the back of it i used two 46/47 ford super deluxe hoods narrowed 2 1/2 inches on each side, one was on top and the other hood i only used half of and it was for the bottom of side. Then i took 24 guage sheet metal (paint grip) and wrapped it around the skeleton, tacking it to the conduit. Then i filled the middle in between the two hoods with sheet metal also. There is no fiberglass in my speedster. Then it took some bondo to smooth it all out, and 4 primer blockings later it's one of the smoothest speedster bodies ive ever seen. There are no breaks in my body. Meaning it looks like it is all one piece. I welded the gas tank to the cowl, then filled it so there was no line in between the two, and the rest of the body is seamless also. My chassis is a right hand drive so that has made it a little difficult while driving to get use to it. But as soon as i figure out how to get the pictures up ill post them. Or if you give me your email i can email them as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
29 roller

That sounds really interesting the way you built it . I like the conduit idea and I have a slip roll so I'm sure that it could be run through to curve as I need .
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
bart78

Keep it and buy parts when you find good deals on stuff. I think a pickup could be built cheaper than a car could.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote