Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
roll of the dices

Default Getting my horn to work

I am working on last bit of electrical work for my '36 truck and could use some help...The truck was fitted with what I have been told is a37-39 repop banjo wheel

I was able to remove the horn button since I am trying to get it to work and it is currently not...removed by pressing and turning

I noticed there is no wiring going up the steering shaft nor connecting points on the steering wheel or button...
The horn itself works. It currently has a relay with 3 prongs label, "s", "h" and "+"...the "h" is connected to the horns positive terminal, the "+" is connected to a positive fused wired and the "s" is connected to a wire that was cut off near the steering box....I can only assume this wire connects to the horn button somewhere/somehow and when press it closes the circuit activating the horn....

...problem is I have no clue how or where...any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx,
Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Getting my horn to work

Dicey, it's all in the horn button itself. Discover the connecting point for the wire on an electrically isolated part. Depressing the button will contact that part to the body of the button.

By the way... Are there as many dices as there are mices in LA?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
fordor41

Wire should come up thru the steering shaft and attached to the horn button with a screw, if it is electrically isolated from the column.pushing on the button connects the wire to ground and operates the horn relay.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
scooder

The wire cut off by the steering box, this is the wire that should go through the hollow steering column. When the wire comes out of the hole in the column at the steering wheel. It connects to the steering wheel hub. This connection is isolated from ground (earth). The horn button makes the connection to ground when it is pressed. Because the horn button is clipped to the wheel (with a push and a turn) the button completes the circuit to ground, therefore grounding the horn relay, thereby sounding the horn.
I'd test the relay first, make sure it's good. On yours the wire that's cut next to the steering box, touch this to a good ground, the horn should sound.
Good luck,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Juergen

Looks like somebody adapted a modern button to your 39 banjo horn; It doesn't look like it has any provision for isolating a ground wire before you press the button. You may have to use an external button with this setup (or switch to the original Ford button/shaft with the switch below the steering column).
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
roll of the dices

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thank you for the info I will start with your advise Martin and try to connect to the steering hub....it makes sense the way you describe it and what I am seeing.

Juergen, my ultimate goal is to use the original Ford button (a deluxe button), but I am not sure if the horn button will work with this steering wheel and I've never seen the original switch below the steering column...so that will be my long goal project....and few more questions down the road.

By the way Ford38v8, there are more dices than mices but then again it all depends where you are looking..:-)

Thank you all for your advice.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

My horn worked a lot better when I was 16 then it does now.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote