Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Drew N. Minnesota

Default Pertronix Flamethrower coil

I'm considering one of these coils based on some recommendations I've seen on this site. Some Model A'ers on recent threads mention using the 40,000v/1.5ohm Pertronix flamethrower coil with their 6v systems. I assume this is because the original coils are 1.5ohm. According to the Pertronix application chart, their 40,000v/1.5ohm coil is for an 8 cylinder 12v engine. Is anyone using the 45,000v/0.6ohm coil Pertronix recommends for 4 cylinder/6v systems on their Model A?
Thanks,
Drew
Drew N. Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
steve s

Default Re: Pertronix Flamethrower coil

Drew,

Until some real authority figure tells you differently, I would be very reluctant to deliberately use the wrong rated electrical components. There's got to be a good reason all the car manufacturers added a ballast resistor (external or internal) in series with the coil's primary winding when they switched to 12 volts.

I'm using the 12V Flamethrower but with a 12V setup. That coil gets really hot, by the way. Also, FWIW, I think that with normal Model A rpms, spark plug gaps, and heads, there's really no need for those extra high voltages.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Drew N. Minnesota

Thanks Steve,
That's the kind of input I need since I know very little about the Model A and what may or may not make it run better. Fordbarn is great for us "lurkers" for that reason -we can learn plenty even if we aren't asking questions.
Drew
Drew N. Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Russ/40

The recommended .6 ohm coil is the one to use. Remember, your dealing with the electrical characteristics of the Pertronix ignitor, not the model A.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Dave in MN

Smile Re: Pertronix Flamethrower coil

Hi Drew,
I also suggest to stay with "A" appropriate components if you plan to use your stock distributor. If you suspect your coil is not good for continued use, order one from one of the parts suppliers. If you later install the FSI distributor, that would be the time to change to one of their coils.
Good Day!
Dave in MN
ps: I just had your "A" head milled to correct some surface defects. It magnafluxed as perfect...no cracks.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
gilitos

I had fun putting Mallory 6V "Super Coils" on my Tudor, my 29 CCPU, and my brother's '51 IHC pickup. Worked great and would throw a spark at least an inch or more. The motors ran great but I'd be hard pressed to say they ran better than with the stock coils. It's generally agreed that hotter sparks are beneficial at high RPM's and when other components (like spark plugs) are marginal. Keep your car tuned up and the stock ignition works great. Cheers, Giles.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote