Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
josh1331

Default Full flow oil filter and maybe problems

wOULD A FULL FLOW OIL FILTER CAUSE A KNOCK AT START UP? ITS A KNOCK KNOCK THEN QUIETS DOWN LATER. iS THE OIL RESTRICTED IN ANY WAY? DID i MAKE A MISTAKE?
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Full flow oil filter and maybe problems

I'm running a full flow oil filter on my 30 Driver; the engine builder made the change for me. I have a stock oil pump. Have not experienced a problem like you have ?

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
PC/SR

No problems with my full flow. The only restriction is the filter itself and that is low. I would recommend a 90 degree adapter so the filter does not drain during shutdown. Ford MOtorsport has them, and I think some of the suppliers are starting to get them. The valve chamber drains down as well overnight. Is it a true knock or more like a clack-clack? Your other post suggests you had a knock "before." I would doubt the full flow would make it any worse.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
gilitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1331 View Post
wOULD A FULL FLOW OIL FILTER CAUSE A KNOCK AT START UP? ITS A KNOCK KNOCK THEN QUIETS DOWN LATER. iS THE OIL RESTRICTED IN ANY WAY? DID i MAKE A MISTAKE?
well, my motor has only a couple of thou on its rebuild, no filter, and a subtle knock knock when cold. These can be elusive. Cam bearing? Etc?? But once warm the motor is quiet, tight, strong and delightful. What a car
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
vinepro

From what I have found so far is when you use a oil filter it will rob the oil in the oil galley and will starve the valves. The book said to change your oil at 500 miles but we are not driving down dirt roads for the most part so you can go to 1000 miles and change the oil then. We are looking at about 2 or 3 lbs of pressure and that is not enough for a filter. A filter also will rob the oil which will starve the guides and weare them prematurely. So take the filter off the engine.
vinepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
steve s

When I had such a problem, it was the thrust bearing going. It didn't knock if I held the clutch pedal down--that's the telltale. After about 20-30 seconds it went away, I guess when enough oil got splashed up on the bearing. I tried a lot of different oils and way over-greased the throwout bearing during the denial phase.

I have the A-FOrd-able full flow filter, but don't think it has anything to do with the problem, since the thrust relies on splash, I believe. It took about 5000 miles for knock to start and another 5000 before I did anything about it. Got about 5000 miles on the rebuild and so far it's ok, in that regard anyhow.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
James Rogers

The oil filter won't cause a motor to knock. The pump is quite capable of much more than the 2-3 pounds that is normal. Sounds like you have a bad bearing that needs attention.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote