Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
josh1331

Default What is a short block vs long block ?

Being a newbie on model a engines. if i were to have an engine done , what should i ask for? Have a 1930 Tudor and its a touring car. I heard about short block vs long block?/ What should I ask to have done? for a touring t ype car?
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
roccaas

Default From a Chevy small block site. You'll see the difference in $ between long and short

The short-block is normally seen as the assembly that will be rebuilt when an engine is overhauled. The short block typically refers to the parts of the cylinder block itself, which is not part of any other system and which all other components and parts of the engine connect to.
The short block engine is normally just the block with pistons and a crank, and no heads or intake. Short block refers to the engine in its most basic form – five engine plates, the front cover, front pulley hub/boss ONLY. It does not include the oil pan, flywheel, water pump etc. Also called the engine CORE. Factors to consider for short block engines and work, include stroke, rod length, piston compression height and block deck height as well.

The long block is as close to full engine assembly, ready to run, so to speak, you can come. It is the complete engine as it would be pulled from its functional space. Manifold, accessories and wiring intact. Long block engines will include more parts, and thus, cost more, short block on the other hand will have less parts, costing less, requiring more labor to assemble and install properly and will use some old engine parts.
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Steve Ciccalone

Default Re: What is a short block vs long block ?

It all depends on how confident you are doing your own work. The difference may vary by builder and I'm sure some will chime in. A short block generally consists of the block rebuilt with bearings, rod, cam, flywheel, valves, guides, etc, no head fitted, no oil pan mounted etc. A long block will come with the head and pan on, bellhousing on and possibly a rebuilt tranny. You must install the auxiliaries, i.e. distributor, water pump, generator, starter, carb, etc otherwise you may specify to the builder to give you back a drop in engine ready to go. Obviously, the price of poker goes up the more you have done and prices will vary builder to builder.

Best thing is check with local chapter members and get their opinions. Also, you have to make a decision to go with an original style rebuild (babbit, stock crank, etc) or opt for the new style, insert bearings, counterbalanced crank, lightened flywheel, etc, etc.

Stand by, your about to hear a lot of opinions pro and con.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
ford1

you want every thing in the engine new or rebuilt if you plan on going very far from home, a short block is the block with new or rebuilt parts in it, may or may not include the pan, a long block is the block with new or rebuilt parts in it includes the pan head and nothing else, all the other parts come from your old engine
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ciccalone View Post
...A short block generally consists of the block rebuilt with bearings, rod, cam, flywheel, valves, guides, etc, no head fitted, no oil pan mounted etc...
I agree with this except for the flywheel. I'm not aware that a flywheel would be included with any short block, and especially not with an "A" short block on which the flywheel housing must be installed first.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
ford1

Joe, your right, neither the flywheel or the housing comes with either the short or long block, the only way they would be included is if you took your complete engine with flywheel and housing to the shop and have them completely rebuild it
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
PC/SR

After you select a rebuilder, ask him specifically what he will do and how much it will cost. Just asking for a short block or long block is kind of vague when you get down to the specifics.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

The nice thing about a long block is that it is easier to assign blame if something doesn't work out.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
Mitch Bunkin in PA

I had my engine rebuilt at Schwalms in Strasburg, PA. Their website is
http://www.schwalms.com
Click on SERVICES and they describe their short block and long block rebuilds.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
'29wagon

so tell me what you know and already believe .

Who is willing to give me a quote , able to take the blame for a long block rebuild local in southern california .

i know it's going to get to the point where when near complete i'll be kicking myself for all the should'oves piling up in the corner.

i wanna know since i'm just getting started.

thanks.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
ford1

H&H engine rebuiders in LA Cresenta is one ive used them before and i was satisfied, google model a engine rebuilders in so. cal. you will get several companys, ask a lot of questions, especially how long it will take to get the engine back, and what will they do for you if they are more than a couple of weeks late
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
sonny30coupe

My long block included the lightened flywheel that was balanced with the crank and pressure plate all together. It cost me extra do this, but I am sure it will be worth it when I get this thing back on the road. I am about dont with the chassis restore. Alot of the body work is also done.
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

For me a short block is preffered. I have plenty of heads, manifolds, pans, carbs, distributors etc. Not hard to get them ready to bolt on, timed and otherwise rebuilt. Long blocks are preffered by others that don't want to spend the time, get their hands dirty or do much work. Just my opinion. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote