Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #21
DBSHELTON

Default Re: Over Fill Oil

This brings up something else. I don't have a cotter pin hanging out of the bellhousing drain. Anyone have an idea how I could get one in there? I have been wondering this for some time and still haven't come up with a good solution. Any chance of fishing a small wire up through the bottom hole that could come out where the inspection cover is, tie a string to the wire with a cotter pin tied to the other end, then pull the wire and string back down?

Last edited by DBSHELTON; 07-20-2020 at 06:03 PM.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #22
redmodelt

The cotter pin was there to keep the hole clean. I don't think it is much of an issue seeing most if not all the roads Model A's see today are paved. You would have to feed the end that is bent in first then work it down through the hole. Not sure how you might hold that end with your wire then feed under the flywheel, but where there is a will there is a way.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 AM   #23
DBSHELTON

Thanks, I guess I will wait until the next time I have the floorboards out and remove the trans inspection plate. May be able to get something through there.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #24
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Nope,cant put the cotter pin in through the inspection cover hole either..The model a engine lubrication system is like a monsoon,oil is splashed everywhere. On cold startup it takes about 30 seconds to completely fill the valve gallery..when the car sits oil drips from the main bearing clearances lowering the gallery level,startup is when your mains are most vulnerable to lack of lubrication..I run mine on cold start at about 1000 rpm,get the oil up to the valve gallery as fast as i can without load..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #25
Patrick L.

Like red mentioned, nothing to worry about. Since the cotter is just about impossible to install now, whenever you're crawling around underneath that monster just take a look at that little hole and make sure its clear.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #26
The Master Cylinder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Nope,cant put the cotter pin in through the inspection cover hole either..The model a engine lubrication system is like a monsoon,oil is splashed everywhere. On cold startup it takes about 30 seconds to completely fill the valve gallery..when the car sits oil drips from the main bearing clearances lowering the gallery level,startup is when your mains are most vulnerable to lack of lubrication..I run mine on cold start at about 1000 rpm,get the oil up to the valve gallery as fast as i can without load..
I always run mine over with the starter, ignition off for awhile to pump some oil up. I don't know if it helps or not but it makes me feel better. I have 12v so it spins pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSHELTON View Post
I don't have a cotter pin hanging out of the bellhousing drain. Anyone have an idea how I could get one in there?
I don't think you will be able to get the cotter pin in. The flywheel is oretty close to the bell at that point. I put one in once after I bolted up the flywheel. Luckily I notice before installing engine. I had to bend the cotter pin to get enough clearance to get it thru the hole.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 07-22-2020 at 10:07 AM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #27
Als48

Put it in from the outside, after cutting the bendable ends off to about 1/4'" long. Put a slight bend in the two legs and it will stay in the hole. Don't leave it too long, as it may hit the flywheel as someone suggested.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #28
JD 1931

Try to keep mine half way between top mark and bottom one on dip stick. Still leaks but only a little...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #29
stewgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 1931 View Post
Try to keep mine half way between top mark and bottom one on dip stick. Still leaks but only a little...
Same here
stewgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #30
DBSHELTON

Bought one of those "Rear Main Janitors" and cut an absorbent pad to fit inside for the 29. Built one similar for the Huckster but it has never leaked. We will see how well that works.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #31
JD 1931

Another thing that causes it to leak if you over fill the transmission. I did that but only once...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:01 AM   #32
31Abone

roadster here in town that had been sitting long time...with oil 1" over full mark ,ran it several hours..did not leak a drop or smoke..so some leak some don't..checked it again after running ,still 1" over full mark
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #33
DBSHELTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Abone View Post
roadster here in town that had been sitting long time...with oil 1" over full mark ,ran it several hours..did not leak a drop or smoke..so some leak some don't..checked it again after running ,still 1" over full mark

That is how my 30 Huckster is. All the way to Full on the dipstick and no leak.