Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
flatheadfan

Default Re: How serious are you?

Fibber-

Add me to your "nostalgia club." When I drive one of my old relics the problems of the world disappear in the rear-view mirror. Priceless!

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
1937pickup

Fellas, based on where this post is going-I thought this song would be appropiate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puGQsQux80k
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Jim

Well fella's, I'm 78 years young restoreing a 40 4 door and can't wait to get it on the road. Beleive me that I agree with all the above. Have a great veteran's day. Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Ricardo39

I totally agree with A bones & FDFH, itīs a matter of mixing the best of each times, I love my HD 47 and my 39 coupe, with their lack of brakes, rough handling, every fluid leaking, and so on, but is a great feeling seeing the people next to you staring at your ride with admiration and giving you a lots of congratulations and thumbs up ( Iīm pretty sure it was the thumb). On the other side, how many of us goes for a ride today without the cel phone, or a GPS if you donīt know the way, listen to hundreds of songs ( here again, some old and others not so), taking digital pics and later posting them in internet for a guy with very similar taste that you, on the opposite side of the world ? Lots of bad things and manners nowadays? Yes, but letīs enjoy the good ones and keep the good old stuff alive.
Ricardo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
Hoop

Here are a few examples of the most popular music from WW2 in honor of all veterans. Civilians as well gave so much to the war effort ... Glenn Miller gave his life. Jo Stafford appropriately nicknamed "GI Joe" sang one of the most poignant songs of the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfCFU3Mqww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSlEtqxYYoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBSCyzocONQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvq4OnhMEO4

Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Ken/Alabama

Im with you Fibber, I drive my old 40 just about everyday for the same reasons. Im 52 and have driving a 40 for the last 25 yrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00286.JPG (191.7 KB, 18 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
4t8v8

I grew up in the 50's. Loved the "new" Fords then and now the "old" Fords. My 1st good vehicle was a '48 F1 (fairly new, then). Loved listening to the old gal run and still do. My F1 isn't the same one, but the flathead in it is. I know who Harry James is and remember when Mystery Train and Hound Dog were 1st played on the radio. Those were good days. Much simpler then.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #28
Fibber Mcgee

It makes me feel good to know others feel the same and its interesting hearing some of the other reasons. If I had the money I'd build a 40s town where tourists could come in but if you lived there you couldn't have cellphones in public and only period correct cars. We'd have a town square with a malt shop and movie house(only black and white) and our own airstrip with hangers that would be free rent to anyone with a WWII plane. Oh yeah if you come in our town with your pants sagging or vulgar tshirts you spend the night in jail with a trip to the city limits in the morning. Oh yeah AM radio with good shows and music and full service gas stations and a tow truck that can jump a 6 volt battery. I've really spent to much time thinking of this....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #29
flatmotor40

I've always been in cars since I was a kid in the early 60's and gone from drag cars to hot rods to classics now my 40 conv w 29 roadster and just bought a 35Chevy 2dr Standard to go along with my 55 Chevy so just drive each one when I need to go to the store or anywhere.Leave the newer cars in the garage.And who needs a radio when you listen to a hopped up flathead with Smitty's and a good Reed cam
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
SUHRsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm completely happy with my life and family. I just don't seem to fit in todays world. I'm only in my late thirties so I can't be thinking back to my childhood I just feel like my morals and worldview fit more with the older generation....... maybe I'm just odd?
I'm 30 years old.... and in the same boat!

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #31
Vic Piano

I've always loved Ford cars/trucks, especially from the Flathead V8 era. In particular, I prefer convertibles and I'm very fortunate to have (what I consider to be nice cars that I wanted, but couldn't afford, when I was younger) that I enjoy driving and working on...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #32
oldbugger

Kicked out of town for sagging pants, My wife says I started that look in the 60"s after bending over the fender to long, working on the old Fords.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #33
rosenkranswa

I'm a history buff, old Fords and old airplanes - the old Fords are more affordable. My family enjoy doing the living history that goes with our Model T's, A's and V8's and we all have period attire for each era. Do I want to go back to the 20's, 30's, or 40's? I'm not sure I do, but I love talking about them and driving the cars.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
wspiker

Thank you guys.................This helps! I recently retired, July '11. I decided to search for a 'duplicate' of my first car. It was a black, 1940 Ford Tudor Sedan, Summer 1959. I found the perfect car for me out of Florida. I got delivery thirteen months ago. It has been 'great' ever since. The big difference is that it is NOT an everyday driver; it is a 'toy'. So, I get to 'play' with it and not rely on it to get to my job at the body shop, janitor at the barber shop and the counter guy at the local hamburger stand,i.e. called the 'Dump'.

I tried to 'paste' a picture of me with the first Ford. But, it didn't work; I don't know how to do it? I have a lot to learn.............
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #35
Rand

It's Therapy for me to just tinker and drive my Mercury
Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
Gumpy

Old cars --I can recall a 53 ford wagon i purchased from a tow yard in vallejo,ca
and paid 150. bucks for it they towed to my place for $50. I can remember putting it on a concrete slab at the house and fiddling with it and cleaned up the battery terminals, at that very moment a frank sinatra song started singing on the radio,,it startled me and i thought this car is coming alive...I put an old generator and cracked fan belt on it and it started right up...old fords never die!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #37
Torchie

Quote:
Not exactly on topic but....... How many of you drive old Fords just because you like old Fords or are like me and drive old Fords because you wish you were living in the era your old Ford was built? Am I the only one who likes to drive down a road and turn on some Harry James and forget about the world we live in today?
Felt that way when I was 14. Still feel that way and I am closing in on 60.
Used to lead an 18 piece Big Band and even opened a ballroom. How's that for living in the past.LOL
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #38
1949FORD

Quote:
Not exactly on topic but....... How many of you drive old Fords just because you like old Fords or are like me and drive old Fords because you wish you were living in the era your old Ford was built? Am I the only one who likes to drive down a road and turn on some Harry James and forget about the world we live in today?
im exactly like you! ive always wanted to live in the 40s-50s, and ive always loved that era for cars, and just basic technology. cars these days are just a bunch of electrical bull sh*t. i love the simplicity of vehicles in the early 1900s. these days, we decide to put a friggen television in the car.... i ask, "why?"
1949FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #39
Cool Hand Lurker

I learned to drive in the early '50s in my Dad's '36 Ford Fordor. Love that flathead sound.

We are soooo lucky that the only old cars that have survived in any numbers are FORDS !!!!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
estout81
BANNED

I have a '48 F-1 with a "hopped-up" Merc flathead that I drive as often as possible. Living in Ohio kind of limits driving this time of year til spring. Weather man says sunny but cold thru weekend so may go for a few drives before snow flies.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote