Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Fibber Mcgee

Default Shock fluid?

What is shock fluid? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it at the local parts store. Can I use ATF it seem like the closest thing being a hydraulic fluid?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Shock fluid?

I use hydraulic jack oil which is 10 wt
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Fe26

There were three types of oil used: Gylcerin, Castor Oil and Hydraulic Oil. Apparently the type of oil used was particular to each type of shock absorber according to an original document I saw. The author was quite specific that what was originally used should be replaced with same.

However, if the shock absorber body and internals are the same I don't see why a specific oil must be used in preference to another, as long as the oil won't react with a particular material like seals, which might contain traces of the original oil.

Your nose might be able to guide you here (better still, the wifes nose) Castor Oil has a readily identifiable smell. Glycerin is thin and clear (after all these years?) And the Hydraulic Oil will look and feel like hydraulic oil, a little thicker and greasier.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
rotorwrench

That is a question that I still haven't seen an answer for. Glycerin was the original fluid used by Houdaille but I've never heard of a chemical break down of the product marketed later as "shock fluid". I've heard that mineral oil, castor oil, and glycerin were all used in Ford products and some mention the shape of the filler plug was the indicator of type used.

Houdaille shocks originally used leather as the materiel for the wing shaft seals and glycerin will protect the leather. The glycerin stays about the same viscosity in all normal temperature variations. If a more modern type treated leather or some other mineral resistant seal is used then mineral oil can be used. As to what type or viscosity I don't know. The viscosity of glycerin or castor oil would have to be measured to see. Hopefully a shock rebuilder will add their 2 cents.

I still have occasion to to work on an old Bell 47 helicopter with a stabilizer bar set up now and then and they used the late type Houdaille dampers. They have a little window so you can see the fluid level and Mil-H-5606 hydraulic oil was used in them. We had to disconnect and time the drop on them with a specific weighted object attached to the arm each 100-hour inspection. They have a needle valve adjustment to get the time right.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-11-2012 at 08:46 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
richard crow

years ago ford published a bultin about shock oil . it stated you could tell by the filler plug whitch type to use .squre, long plug, short plug, hex head, etc . but like my old gril frends i can,t find it. may be louie trique passed that info to bill when he sold his shock bussines. but there was different type of fluid used i think all the rebuilders today use hydl oil ask bill rotor wrench 1 thing for sure they did not use sky droll man that is nasty stuff ever get a drop in your eye i know you know what sky droll is
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Fe26

I've tried to copy the original document here but no joy there, here are the words from the Houdaille Service manual.

"Three types of fluid have been used by the manufacturer. Smell is the best way to detect the different types.

If the fluid has an alcoholic odor the fluid is of glycerine base. If the fluid has an oily odor, the fluid is of petroleum base. If the fluid has a vegetable odor, the fluid is of castor oil base. For shock absorbers having a glycerine base fluid, wash reservoir in water. For shock absorbers having a petroleum base fluid, wash reservoir in kerosene. For shock absorbers having a castor oil base fluid, wash reservoir in kerosene."

It appears you can use any of these three fluids. However IMHO Caster Oil or Glycerine would be the easier way to go. They are both readily available from a druggist or pharmacy and their viscosity and weight is unlikely to have changed since Houdaille used them.

Hydraulic oil on the other hand comes in many different grades and finding the correct one would I suggest be a hit and miss excersise.

One other thing which the manual mentions is to disconnect the shock lever and move it by hand back and forth as you add the fluid, this way the fluid gets into the inner chamber. Fluid is filled to the bottom of the plug hole.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Fibber Mcgee

I can imagine the look on their face when I say I need some castor oil for my car
Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
I can imagine the look on their face when I say I need some castor oil for my car

Better in the car than in your mouth.

That'd make Gracie talk real quick
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
but there was different type of fluid used i think all the rebuilders today use hydl oil ask bill rotor wrench 1 thing for sure they did not use sky droll man that is nasty stuff ever get a drop in your eye i know you know what sky droll is
Luckily, I don't have to mess with a paint stripping hydraulic oil like Skydrol. That stuff is mostly used on the big airplanes. The helicopters I work on still used more simple fluids & lubricants.

Even MIL-H-5606 hydraulic oil has a tendency to separate & grow microbials & fungus. None of them are perect. The main thing is whether you can procure the stuff locally or at least easilly from some out of town vendor.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Fibber Mcgee

What years did they change the composition of the shock fluid? My owners manual says Ford shock fluid but not a specific type. I guess when you asked Ford for shock fluid they would know what to give you by year model
Old 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
rotorwrench

It was probably sold in those 1 pint rectangular cans with the little pull off cap on the protuding spout. Ford sold a lot of products from wax & polish to 3 in 1 type lubricants & greases. Some of the old chassis parts catalogs show illustrations of the products like this. They were pretty generic and didn't have a lot of information on them like what is required now days.

Those old shocks were probably replaced more than they were serviced. It wasn't that expensive in those days and most folks would have looked at you kind of funny when you mention serviceing for their cars shocks. The guy at the service station was supposed to do that, or at least you hoped he was doing all that he was suposed to do.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Fibber Mcgee

Thanks rotorwrench , they still look at you kinda funny when you talk about servicing your shocks.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Here is an illustration from the 1938 to 1941 Ford/Mercury Chassis Parts catalog. As with many of these files , you can see it better if you open it in a new window. The shock fluid is in the upper left corner under the one of the cases of Lincoln Chome Cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD Products.jpg (59.7 KB, 194 views)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
[email protected]

Hoe does one adjust these shocks .where is the adjustment and how is it done. is there a special tool.? thanks
dccis9@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
jerry grayson

[QUOTE=Fibber Mcgee;424236]Thanks rotorwrench , they still look at you kinda funny when you talk about servicing your shocks.
Any drug store has castor oil. All of the v8 shocks I have ever examined had castor oil in them. Not many fluids will mix with castor oil. The shock fluid sold by Ford parts in the 40-60 years was castor oil. Ford part number 8A-19541-A (M-4633-CJ)
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
cmbrucew

I remember reading somewhere that brake fluid was also used.
Cannot remember where.
Bruce
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #17
len47merc

Having recently been through this and ultimately biting the bullet and rebuilding all my shocks I can tell you that ALL of the rebuilders I spoke with use 30 wt hydraulic oil to refill the shocks after rebuilding. The original fluid in mine had turned to a dark-greenish, viscous paste that neither hydraulic oil nor castor oil will mix with or break down. Before sending the shocks out for rebuild I attempted flushing them and refilling with hydraulic oil and realized some improvement. For grins one shock was sent out for rebuild and I could not believe the improvement over the remaining three. It's worth the try but if your shocks have never been rebuilt or cleaned-out and refilled with whatever material you plan on refilling them with the likelihood is high that the fluids will not mix well and the true effectiveness of your shocks will not be realized. Good luck!

Last edited by len47merc; 08-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
len47merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #18
Robert/Texas

Bill Wzorek rebuilt four shocks for me and they work great. He told me to use hydraulic jack fluid in them.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
len47merc

Bill Wzorek is one of the rebuilders advising me to use 30 wt hydraulic oil. He also advised that the 30 wt hydraulic oil is what he uses when rebuilding and refilling the shocks. I was in the process of working with him on my rebuilds when his unfortunate health issues cropped up a couple of months back.

My best to you Bill if you are reading this and my hopes and prayers you are doing well.
len47merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
fordor41

There is a lever in the center of the shaft that the shock arm attaches to. Turning that lever around the shaft inc/dec the shock resistance
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by len47merc View Post
but if your shocks have never been rebuilt or cleaned-out and refilled with whatever material you plan on refilling them with the likelihood is high that the fluids will not mix well and the true effectiveness of your shocks will not be realized. Good luck!
Is there a solvent common to castor and mineral oils to flush with before refilling? I have pair of shocks with different appearing fluids. I'd like to know that they are flushed and refilled with the same fluid before installation.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
corvette8n

Red face Re: Shock fluid?

Found these in my shed, feels the same as GL-1 that I use in the 8N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.7 KB, 42 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #23
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Is there a solvent common to castor and mineral oils to flush with before refilling? I have pair of shocks with different appearing fluids. I'd like to know that they are flushed and refilled with the same fluid before installation.
Covered in Post #6
Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #24
G.M.

I have had a number of shocks that have had VERY thick stick fluid that couldn't move through the internal passages. I think this was a product of mixing non compatible fluids. I think they need to be rinsed with a strong solvent then some hydraulic fluid added move the shock arm a number of strokes dumped and refilled. I had a shock a number of years ago that needed an extension arm to move it. I made a big heavy steel pot, added automatic trans fluid above the top of the shock and boiled on a hot plate for several hours. Took it out and the shock worked perfect but when it cooled it got hard to move. I reheated it several times over a couple days and it never got loose. This was 25 years ago and it's still laying in the shop waiting for me to try again. I don't give up to easy. G.M.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #25
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Found these in my shed, feels the same as GL-1 that I use in the 8N.
100_1776.jpg

100_1777.jpg

Here is some aditional pictures of shock oil cans.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #26
Notadufus

Does Bill still rebuild Houdille shocks? I've got a pair that needs it.
Notadufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #27
rotorwrench

Bill's health was holding him back so he passed the business along to another fellow. It's in this thread.https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=Bill+Wzorek