Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
41panelmark

Default Oil pan breather and other questions 1940/41

59 AB block

At the risk of staring another thread on the subject, I hope to find a solution that will work for my project.

1st.

Wondering if anyone has designed a part to attach to the pan on the front of the engine where the breather is that would either block it off or have an attachment to affix a hose or down draft tube to with the engine still in the car. I think the gasses that come from the vent up front of the oil pan are pushed back under the rest of the car effectively allowing them to come up inside at the peddles therefore fumigating the inside of the car. I would like to remedy this if possible

2nd.

Can the bottom breather be blocked off and if so would gasses be discharged from the oil fill cap (don't think so) or would I have to install some kind of PCV valve on the intake/carb base? I have seen diagrams of how the gasses should flow on the 8ba blocks in other posts but would like to see how they are supposed to flow on the 59 a.

Can I do any of this with the engine still in the car and or can I use one of the military set ups mentioned in other discussions?

I would like some help/diagrams and or photos of the best way to do this if anyone has.

thanks guys.

Last edited by 41panelmark; 10-14-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added text
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Oil pan breather and other questions 1940/41

If there are enough crankcase fumes coming from the oil pan breather to bother someone in the car, you probably need a ring job. And maybe replace the grommets that seal the firewall and floor.

But I am the guy that enjoys the smell of diesel fumes and asphalt paving machines.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
40 Deluxe

It's fairly simple to convert to a PCV system. You should be able to find lots of information on here.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The early V8s didn't have the vent on the pan rail and suffered from blow by fumes coming from the vent at the filler area on the back of the intake. The flow on the later engines with the pan rail vent is from the oil filler inlet to the pan rail outlet. A person would have to modify the intake manifold to put a PCV at the front so the circulation would be from the oil filler inlet to the outlet at the front then block off the pan rail vent. An 8BA type intake may be modified to work on the 59 series which would give a spot to install the PCV but the front filler would be redundant so that might not be the best way to do it.

PCV valves need to mach the vacuum requirements of the engine so a selection should be researched. An adapter for the carb base vacuum port would also have to be considered unless it was plumbed straight into the manifold. Lots of folks have done these mods in all sorts of different ways. When the rings wear out and blow by is increased, some fumes will still make there way out depending on operating conditions.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
mumpsimus

Did you ever find a good detailed description of how to install a PCV on a 21 stud or a 59A? I’ve read over 20 threads on how to do it in an 8ba, but there isn’t much info for the early motors.
mumpsimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A 21 stud engine does not have the rear engine seal, it is a baffle type of seal. It allows air to move past the baffle. A PVC setup connected to a vacuum source would create a lower pressure inside the engine and pull air in around the rear main seal. This air would be unfiltered air.

The 59a style of engine can be setup similar to the method used on the WWII engines. There is a current (2017) thread with a drawing in the first post of a PVC setup.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Bert Lancaster post from the HAMB, 2014...here's how Ford installed PCV into early engines, mostly wartime '42 Merc types.

Ford drilled into the right front side of manifold casting on the riser for generator, right about where the little flow arrows turn down into the vertical stack, and hooked in here right above the tube with a 1/4 steel line that ran back to the carb riser and turned up into a vertical PCV (actual valve very similar to wartime Jeep part, might be the same). The top of the PCV was plumbed into very small passages into each side of intake via an adapter below carb just like those used to add a vac port to early Flatheads. The original outlet down on pan was blocked...on some of the engines the hole in the bump was left out, on other pans the entire bump was deleted leaving just flat flange blocking the hole. On an assembled engine...try loosening a few adjacent bolts and sliding in a small piece of beer can buttered with Permatex...

At the inlet on fuel pump stand, they substituted a fairly big oil bath air cleaner for the original canned Brillo pad. Very simple and neat setup.

Only pics I know of are in obscure WWII military manuals covering various post 1942 armored carriers and artillery trucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flathead air flow.jpg (68.8 KB, 39 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote