Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #41
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333
Default Re: Buying a car site unseen.

What was wrong with the 34? I have been wanting one for the longest.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #42
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Another story. Maybe two, if you all can stand it...
I'm a 34-nut, and recently heard of a 34 for sale, less than 100 miles from home. Two personal friends looked at it, and gave it a thumbs up. An 'original' 54K car, supposedly running. The point of this story is you have to look for yourself. I was severely disappointed, and did not buy it. I had the cash in my pocket. And, the guy was very plesant on the phone, didn't deceive me, etc, etc. And, me, my two friends, and the seller are all over-75 seniors, so we should have been on the same page on that count. I have to look for myself.
I missed your point here Bob?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #43
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I missed your point here Bob?
I have to look for myself.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #44
supereal

If a seller can't provide receipts for all worked claimed, it is almost certain you are being played. Our shop has worked on old cars for many years, and have seen too many shady deals. last year, a good customer bought a '57 T Bird from a photo of the car in Ca. When it arrived, it hardly ran, inspite of claims of tecent work. We pulled the heads to find the block had been so severly "relieved" the top rings were exposed! His attempts to contact the seller were unsuccessful. If you are buying on claims, always demand proof. When I restored my '47 I have a shoebox full of proof of what was done, and with what.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #45
Ford Freak

I did it once . What I saw in the pics was ok . It was the stuff I couldn't see that caused me untold grief . I am going to do my best to never do it again . Please pray for me !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #46
jimTN

Lots of folks here who are younger than us oldtimers. I never saw a used car on a lot or used engine in a junkyard that haden't been just rebuilt. Always look at a purchase as if you plan to sell it and plan on spending to make it saleable. I have bought off ebay and classified ads on forums and not been disappointed. Once bought a 47 conv. sight unseen that turned out to be rust free and great looking. Drove it from Chicago to TN, lost the rod bearings around Indy and filled the crankcase with STP and limped on home. We found that the wrong size bearings had been installed. It hurt to build the engine then but today the car is eaisly worth twice what I have in it and then aome. Know your values and figure worst case and you will fair well.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=supereal;1010719] last year, a good customer bought a '57 T Bird from a photo of the car in Ca. When it arrived, it hardly ran, inspite of claims of tecent work. We pulled the heads to find the block had been so severly "relieved" the top rings were exposed! QUOTE]

supereal.....This is the second time recently that you have made reference to that '57 T-bird with a "severely relieved" block. How is it even remotely possible to "relieve" a Y-block Ford OHV engine block? I'm still having a hard time picturing that. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #48
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I think you must PERSONALLY do the inspection. I had a reputable expert look at a vehicle for me and found the actual product to be far below the anticipated level when the transporter arrived.
I agree with JWL but sometimes the price is way below market and It's worth risk!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #49
1938 Coupe

I am guilty of buying cars on ebay without inspecting them in person before the auction ended. One was from a dealer that displayed 65 photos in detail. It was a disappoint when it arrived at my house..... had been hit on all 4 corners. It had bad body work that the nice pictures did not disclose. Ratter then putting money into it I decided to sell it. The dealer refunded 2K so I came out ok!
The next car I bought unseen on ebay I was told by the seller he bought it in an estate sale and the owner had died. He stated the car had been started and run on a regular basis before the owner died. What he forgot to mention was the owner died 15 years ago and the car had a full tank of gas that now has turned into varnish. In this case the seller was honest and felt bad enough to refund several hundred dollars to replace the gas tank and flush out the system. All ended well in this case and I'm pleased with the car overall.
1938 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #50
ricklove

I count myself fairly lucky on the purchase of my sight unseen 1948 Ford tudor sedan last April. My 1st car was a bone stock 1947 Ford tudor sedan that I bought in April 1964 for $35. I was born in 1948, so after I received "permission" (her exact words were "you deserve it and you can't take it with you") from my bride of 25 years, I started looking for a 1948 tudor sedan street rod. Found it on eBay at a classic car dealer near Portland OR. After many, many, many pictures and phone calls back and forth, I contacted a local auto repair shop and had them do a complete (151 point) inspection (cost me $155). Between the dealer's words, the pictures, and the inspection; we came to terms on the price. When the car was delivered (enclosed), I was not disappointed. In 8 months, we've driven it a little over 6k miles and enjoy it. I know not everyone is so lucky!!
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #51
Mike51Merc

Buying a car sight unseen is like plunking your money down at the blackjack table. You may win, you may lose, or you might push. In any event you need the stomach to handle the results and nobody to blame but yourself if it doesn't go your way.

A good buddy of mine says "INspect what you EXpect.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #52
rusty12

Another important point about buying anything, including a whole car, sight unseen is to have realistic expectations. When I buy something, whether it is a part or car, I always downgrade it in my mind. If a seller says it is a "9" out of "10", I expect it to be a "7" or "8" and if he says it is "excellent" I expect it to be "good to very good" I base my purchase price on my expectations more than the seller's representations.
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #53
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty12 View Post
Another important point about buying anything, including a whole car, sight unseen is to have realistic expectations. When I buy something, whether it is a part or car, I always downgrade it in my mind. If a seller says it is a "9" out of "10", I expect it to be a "7" or "8" and if he says it is "excellent" I expect it to be "good to very good" I base my purchase price on my expectations more than the seller's representations.
Great idea. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the seller is beholden to his wallet so the car is surely beautiful in his eyes.

A picture can say 1000 words, but 999 of those words could be lies. I once looked at a truck in person that I'd seen photos of. Couldn't believe how good it looked in photos and how bad it looked in person.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #54
CarlG

I bought the pickup in my avatar on eBay, sight unseen -- just pictures posted on eBay. Inspecting it in person would not have changed a thing. It met all my expectations when it arrived. I even had several offers from guys in the club to buy it (at a profit for me) the day it arrived.

PS: I still have it!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #55
FrankWest

In fairness to all who have done it and gotten burnt, It is all too easy to get caught up in the excitement of seeing that old car you always wanted for sale. Some times you never see the model you always wanted. It is not like there are so many old car available out there. Just don't spend too much and assume that if you really want it, you won't mind doing some work on it. Never assume because you buy a finished completely restored car for high price that it will be like brand new. You are better off buying low, slowly restoring it for your fun and the right way... Remember, if you had a perfect car.. you would have nothing to do...Especially because you can only legally drive it ONE DAY A WEEK!

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-07-2015 at 08:53 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #56
flat-v8

Years ago I got my Hemmings in the mail, and saw a 1936 Ford PU for sale barn fresh for $600! It was in Desert California area, dry little rain, and no picture of course, so I called the guy and he was older guy and super nice, and I believed every word he said about the condition, so bought that truck sight unseen. Had it delivered to my house via freight company, When the guy opened the door to reveille my prize, I was very disappointed, not about the condition, it was really really good condition, no rust thru at all, but it wasn't a '36 it was a '37. It was sold to him years ago as a '36 Ford, that was on the bill of sale, no complaints, it was a great deal, just not what I wanted. I kept the bed, replaced the tailgate, and it is on my '36 PU today! Gave the rest to my lil brother to play with.
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #57
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat-v8 View Post
Years ago I got my Hemmings in the mail, and saw a 1936 Ford PU for sale barn fresh for $600! It was in Desert California area, dry little rain, and no picture of course, so I called the guy and he was older guy and super nice, and I believed every word he said about the condition, so bought that truck sight unseen. Had it delivered to my house via freight company, When the guy opened the door to reveille my prize, I was very disappointed, not about the condition, it was really really good condition, no rust thru at all, but it wasn't a '36 it was a '37. It was sold to him years ago as a '36 Ford, that was on the bill of sale, no complaints, it was a great deal, just not what I wanted. I kept the bed, replaced the tailgate, and it is on my '36 PU today! Gave the rest to my lil brother to play with.
there will often be something for sale that is not the correct year for example 1940 half ton's,,,,which are often 1941's! I actually like the 41's better!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #58
slowforty

Buying a Car Site Unseen is like picking out a Wife in a really Dark Tavern.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #59
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixseven View Post
Buying a car unseen, marrying a spouse unmet, and picking your nose in public generally leads to some level of embarrassment.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Sometimes even after a high-level visual inspection, a buyer finds surprises. I'm afraid you're not alone.
Site unseen even with an inspector can sometimes have its pitfalls. I bought a 64 1/2 Mustang into NZ and although it was inspected the damage to the rear rails wasn't picked up although I was told it had had a repair in the trunk area. It cost me an extra 3K to have new rails put in to satisfy our beuracrats at Land Transport NZ, that said the rest of the car was spot on and I'm generally happy about the purchase.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #60
mrtexas

All said and done, $500 on a plane ticket is money well spent to see the car in person. $500 saved on repairs is easily accomplished. Otherwise, roll the dice!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote