Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
51504bat

Default 1954 Ranch Wagon Vacuum Diagram

Getting ready to redo all the heater controls in my Ranch Wagon. There is a sort of diagram in the Ford shop manual but its not as specific as I would like. anyone have a vacuum routing diagram or a suggestion of where to source one? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
JimNNN

Default Re: 1954 Ranch Wagon Vacuum Diagram

Are you referring to a vacuum control to the water temp control valve in the heater? Everything heating/ventilation related in my '54 Ranch Wagon is cable operated, not vacuum controlled. However, I think I remember hearing that some water temp control valves (or whatever you call them) were a little different than what I have in my car. I have a Mainline...maybe the higher grade models used a different system?

I rebuilt the entire heater system a couple of years ago, but don't recall every detail. I'm going up to look at my car today or tomorrow, so I'll try to take some pics if I can.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
51504bat

Thanks. The heater hose hook up is vacuum controlled so there is a control somewhere in addition to the cables as far as I understand it. The heating and vent system is this weekends project so hopefully with the diagram as it is that I have I'll get it sorted.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Where is your HOT WATER VALVE located, on the intake manifold or in the heater box?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Where is your HOT WATER VALVE located, on the intake manifold or in the heater box?

The hot water valve is on the intake. I think I've got it figured out but then again I could be wrong. The hot water valve has a a 3/16" vacuum line fitting that goes to a 3/16" port on the cable controlled valve on the firewall under the dash. That valve also has a 1/4" vacuum fitting as well that goes to a manifold vacuum source. There was a T in the line that went to the vacuum wiper. But since I have upgraded to electric wipers the T is no longer necessary. I'll post some photos tomorrow as I progress.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on it. Similar to the setup in '55/'57 Birds. A cable operated vacuum valve under the dash that operates the vacuum controlled water valve under the hood.
The vacuum source should be a fitting on the intake manifold, just in front of / next to the carb if I remember correctly. ???

Don't connect the vacuum lines for the heater controls with the 'ported' carb vacuum line for the distributor. The two systems are separate and don't connect to each other. Unlike what a previous owner mistakenly did on a '57 I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater vac hoses & heater valve c.jpg (100.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-24-2021 at 11:45 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:17 PM   #7
JimNNN

Here's the pic of my hot water valve inlets for my '54 Ranch Wagon. They're on the firewall just inboard of the heater core enclosure. I'm pretty sure it's original to my car. I tried to find an exact replacement when I rebuilt the heater system a couple of years ago, but found nothing, so I kept the original. There was another type available that didn't fit my application, however...probably what you have.

I tried to get a photo of an interior view of the valve, but it was obscured by duct work. As I recall, there was no vacuum line to the valve, but it was connected to a some sort of thermostatic spring mounted in the duct work. I don't know if that function still works, but I can control the temperature pretty well with the cable from the control panel on the dash to the valve.

I wonder why they had different systems to operate this function for the same year and model of car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54hotwatervalveinlet.jpg (89.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1954 Ranch Wagon Vacuum Diagram

Quote:
That valve also has a 1/4" vacuum fitting as well that goes to a manifold vacuum source.
You got it!

There were two heater models on this series and either are not described fully either in the WSM or MPC.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1954 Ranch Wagon Vacuum Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post

I wonder why they had different systems to operate this function for the same year and model of car?
Yes, FRESH AIR and RECIRCULATING AIR ($$$ - HI-DOLLAR OPTION) . Your is FRESH.

The PN for your valve is B5A 18502-A (shown below).
SEARCH the PN and you should come across one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTR REG VLV - B5A 18502-A - Mounts At HTR BOX _1.jpg (76.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 1954 Ranch Wagon Vacuum Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post

Getting ready to redo all the heater controls in my Ranch Wagon. There is a sort of diagram in the Ford shop manual but its not as specific as I would like. anyone have a vacuum routing diagram or a suggestion of where to source one? Thanks.
Yours is a 239 FYB, correct? The vacuum source will be manifold vacuum usually @ the same source as the wiper motor was supplied. As you mentioned, there is a tee off the wiper supply for the HEATER CONTROL VALVE.

Can you post a photo of the carb and intake? I am on a learning curve here again ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #11
51504bat

It was a 239 but now its a 302/AOD combo. As such a photo of the carb might not answer your questions but I'll post a couple anyway. Just finished installing a new heater control valve under the dash and a new vacuum operated not water inlet valve on the manifold. Ran new vacuum lines and all new cables for the controls.

Sorry, not pictures. Getting a strange error message. I'll try later to upload photos.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
It was a 239 but now its a 302/AOD combo. ...
That's a ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse of a different color.jpg (51.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
51504bat

Still no go on the photos. The heater, defroster, and fresh air vents are stock '54 Ranch wagon as are all the vacuum controls and cables. Only difference is the engine. Manifold vacuum from the back of the 302 manifold and using a NOS hot water heater valve from a Y block.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
... Sorry, not pictures. Getting a strange error message. I'll try later to upload photos.
FYI, the "File Size" of photos cannot be 2MB or larger for the FordBarn server to accept them as an Attachment.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
51504bat

Not the size. Something about a security token missing. Working on it.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:04 PM   #16
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Yes, FRESH AIR and RECIRCULATING AIR ($$$ - HI-DOLLAR OPTION) . Your is FRESH.

The PN for your valve is B5A 18502-A (shown below).
SEARCH the PN and you should come across one.

Wow. thanks for the education and pic, KULTULZ. I'll probably keep my original unit as long as it's installed and works, but it's nice to know that a replacement might be available if I need it.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #17
51504bat

I've had this error message once before. The next day it wasn't an issue. I did send an email to the administrator. I did resend the photos from my phone to my lap top in case that was the problem but still no go.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:03 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1954 Ranch Wagon Vacuum Diagram

Quote:

Still no go on the photos. The heater, defroster, and fresh air vents are stock '54 Ranch wagon as are all the vacuum controls and cables. Only difference is the engine. Manifold vacuum from the back of the 302 manifold and using a NOS hot water heater valve from a Y block.
I got to see this install.

Can you E-MAIL me the photos? [email protected]

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #19
51504bat

Still no luck on the photo issue. Tried to post directly from my phone thinking there might be a issue with my laptop. Same error message. I'll try retaking the photos to see if that is the problem.