Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
woodiedude

Default Gas Tank for 40 Convertible Steel or Poly

I removed my gas tank from the 40 last week. Yes indeed, the tank was snugly fitted between the frame but with a little finesse, I was able to remove it after about an hour.

Are most people installing poly or steel tanks?

Thanks to those who provided their input in previous posts.
woodiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
Dak Rat

Default Re: Gas Tank for 40 Convertible Steel or Poly

I've used the '39'40 tank made by "TANKS" fit nice and great quality. Would use one again. The body was off the frame when I installed both of my units.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiedude View Post
I removed my gas tank from the 40 last week. Yes indeed, the tank was snugly fitted between the frame but with a little finesse, I was able to remove it after about an hour.

Are most people installing poly or steel tanks?

Thanks to those who provided their input in previous posts.
I have used Drakes steel tank a time or two. Good quality but they are NOT the same width as an authentic tank.
I have always installed with the body off.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
19Fordy

I have a TANKS polyethylene tank in my 40 Ford about 10 years ago. It is not a direct bolt in as there are no cage nuts like the OEM Ford tank. Also the screw holes for the sending unit do not match the OEM Ford gas tank sending unit holes as the tank is designed for the modern Ohms style sending units. That is a major drawback.

The plastic tank holds more gas than the OEM Ford tank as it is deeper. There is no drain hole in the bottom of the tank. Also, the tank fuel outlet fitting is on the top of the tank to comply with new regulations. This means you have to modify your OEM fuel line to fit the new unit that mounts on the top of the tank. If I were to do it all over again, I would NOT use a plastic tank because of the above mentioned reasons. Instead I would install a high quality steel tank that permits the use of the OEM fuel line, OEM sending unit, has cage nuts like the original Ford tank and will work with your OEM gauge.

Finally, if your present tank is not rusted out and full of pin holes you might be better off cleaning it out and reusing it. I recall that about 30 years ago, I removed the OEM tank, filled it with water and carefully cut open the top to clean it out . Then I rewelded the top and fiberglased the entire tank exterior. It worked great for many years thereafter until I decided to try the plastic tank because it held more fuel. The )EM Ford tank is made of a type of steel known as Terne Plate as it resists corrosion.

If you are planning to install 12 volt gauges and use a modern 12V gas tank sending unit and new fuel lines then a modern tank would be fine as components will fit and work. If you are planning to restore your car to original, use the correct steel tank.

Photo below shows home made drain plug install. Be aware than polyethylene plastic tanks are very difficult to repair as no glue will adhere to the plastic. It has to be plastic welded.
GO WITH STEEL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4702b.jpg (84.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4703b.jpg (44.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-04-2021 at 08:51 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
russcc

A related question. Are the convertible tanks different than other '40 tanks. ? Also, hot effective is the tank cleaning and coating process that Bill Hirsch sells ?
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
19Fordy

I believe the 40 convertible coupe(2 door) gas tanks are the same as those used in all 112 in wheel base cars. I doubt Henry Ford would have made different size tanks for the same size wheelbase cars. Too costly. Post that question on Fordbarn and you will get a complete answer. I used the Bill Hirsch product years ago and it worked fine. YOU MUST GET THE INSIDE OF THE OLD TANK VERY CLEAN for maximum effectiveness so buy his complete kit.
https://www.hirschauto.com/searchprods.asp

FYI there is a fellow on Fordbarn that professionally restores only 1940 Fords. He is a recognized expert on 40 Fords and has even published a book about restoring them. He goes by the name "Kube" and is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the 40 Ford.

Join Fordbarn and use the search function for any questions you have. Also, take a photo or make a sketch as to how the 40 tank is mounted using the springs and bolts. Also, whatever tank you use ( including your Ford OEM tank) run a separate ground wire from one of the the sending unit screws to the frame so as to give you a really good ground.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-04-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
Fritz

I installed a steel tank from TANKS a few years ago. In my ‘41 pickup, I think the steel looked better, as it is very visible. It had cage nuts, fit was ok… I had to round out one of the holes in the frame to fit that mounting bolt. Like stated above, this tank also had the fuel line connection at the top of the tank and I had to use a new style fuel gauge sending unit, but it works.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
Holeshot

Steel for a stocker. Poly for the o/t cars.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Ggmac

I just installed a Drakes tank and Im impressed with the quality. Not an exactly easy install for an old man laying on his back , but it was worth it . Mine was a 41 tudor
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #10
19Fordy

Make sure the DRAKE tank holes for the stock gas tank sending unit are correct as it may be a steel tank with "modern" modifications. Clean out your OEM tank and give it a try.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-04-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:48 PM   #11
woodiedude

Much thanks to everyone who provided their guidance. I am going to look at the inside of my tank tomorrow and I will consider sending it out to get it cleaned.
woodiedude is offline   Reply With Quote