Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
sconnors

Default Driving my Model A

Driving my 1930 Ford Model A time stands still in a sense and I am magically transported back to a simpler time. You see there are no modern luxuries in the truck; it’s a basic simple machine. There is no radio or CD player, so you’re forced to spend time by yourself thinking or conversing with whomever is with you. There is no digital cluster in front of you on the dashboard giving you more information than you’ll ever need, simply a gas gauge, and ammeter. Vehicles back then didn’t even have heat and obviously air conditioning was out of the question, but the front windshield folds out so you can get some air into the cab.

The mechanics of the car are beautiful in its simplicity also. This was long before automatic transmissions so a standard three speed transmission without synchronized gears makes you double clutch when you drive. You have to manually adjust the spark, throttle, and gas mixture when starting the car! The brakes consist of mechanical brakes, not the hydraulic ones we’ve come to know and love in our current vehicles. No power steering either, just basic transportation that tops out at about 50 MPH.

When I drive the Model A I’m in another place and another time. I realize all the finer points of what at the time was cutting edge technology in transportation. With nearly 4 million Model A vehicles sold, Henry Ford revolutionized the auto industry and all of our lives as we know it today. Up until Henry automobiles were only for the rich and well to do. Henry realized there was some decent profit to be had for making a car for the common man. Driving a Model A forces you by its sheer design to slow down a bit from the rat race we all live in. The Model A makes you take a moment and surprisingly you see a lot when you slow down. You suddenly appreciate the countryside around you, you suddenly notice that gorgeous horse in that field over there, and you see the beauty of God’s hand in everything you pass that you would have otherwise missed if you were flying by at 70 MPH.

Driving my Model A gives me some quality alone time, or quality time with my girlfriend Pattie if we’re together. It’s a beautiful ride and once you’re used to not going 50, 60, or 70 and you realize that you can take life slowly. The Ford Model A makes you take a step back in time to a much simpler time and a much simpler place. We have become a society of rushers, we rush to work, rush to get the kids off to school, rush to the grocery store, rush to the drive thru to get a coffee, we rush our lives away. It’s nice every now and then when something comes into our lives that make us slow down and take a look around and enjoy life rather than rushing through it.

The old adage “it’s the journey, not the destination” holds so true when driving my Model A. That truck has allowed me to enjoy more journeys in the past year and given me some great views along the road.

http://scottpconnors.tumblr.com
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Hicktick

Default Re: Driving my Model A

That pretty much nails it . Slow down and live while you can .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

That's how I feel as well. You actually "drive" an A instead of just steering some automatic car.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Drive Shaft Dave

I hear you!
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
stallerl

Very well stated! You are an excellent writer. Have you thought about funneling your efforts into a novel, Model A related? It might be fun...?
Thanks for taking me back with you in your story. I enjoyed the ride!
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Napa Skip

Well put. You drive Model A's; you ride in modern cars.

As they say, Model A owners belong in their Model A's; Model A's belong on the road.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
dr.j

Scott,
I visited your web site and read every entry, line for line. Your pen is truely mightier than the sword.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
James Rogers

Sir, all I can offer is, there is magic in your fingertips!
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Patrick L.

Nice, well said.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
fordcoupe

So true and very well said i think we all go back in time when we take our cars out so glad i bought a model A
fordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
sconnors

Thank you all very much for the praise! I love writing about what I know and try to share experiences with others. I appreciate the kind words and positive comments.
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Phil

Nicely said! I have good friends that have their cars set up with balanced engines, high compression heads, lightened flywheel, v8 clutch, 12 volt with alternator, improved radiator, thermostat and temp gauge, sycro mesh tranny, overdrive, hydraulic brakes, tubular shocks, f1 steering box and yes air conditioning

Also my car may not have every detail correct for the day it was built, but it is a Model A and like you said so very well, I love bouncing along at 35 mph like they used to drive'um.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
ora masters

phil would you sell that metel back vicky that is the first car i ever drove in 1940 it was my brothers car he had just got out of the CCC camp and joined the navy came home from boot camp for 2 weeks then back and was in ww 2 for 5 years before he got to come home thanks ora
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
gweilbaker

Nicely written, but let's bump it back another notch. You compare the A to buggies of now, can the same be said of equine times compared to the introduction of the A? Think about it.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
marc hildebrant

Nice comment indeed !

In the past, I would take my 1933 Chev out on rides in the back roads of Hadley, Ma.
Dirt roads and miles of corn fields.

I played 1920's music on a tape player as I drove along the old roads and for a little time, felt like I was in a time machine !

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ora masters View Post
phil would you sell that metel back vicky that is the first car i ever drove in 1940 it was my brothers car he had just got out of the CCC camp and joined the navy came home from boot camp for 2 weeks then back and was in ww 2 for 5 years before he got to come home thanks ora
Don't think I can part with it, but if you are around OKC some time you can sure drive it any time. I love it when the cars bring back great old memories. Phil
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
TAG29A

Reading this reminds me of what my dad has always said. "Everyone should drive a Model A sometime in their life"
TAG29A is offline   Reply With Quote