Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #21
gweilbaker

Default Re: What's The A Mean to the Family?

For those who don't don't have kids, I'm up for adoption.

My two sons get into fights over who gets it. I just hope they don't try to rush things along!
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
raprice22

I guess I'm very lucky. I have 2 sons and they're both interested in my vintage autos.
My older son (40) wants the Model A. He's driven it many times and has asked me if he could have that car. My younger son (33) wants my '59 Studebaker.
All's right with the world.
I realize that, when I gone, I couldn't care less about the cars. But it's nice to know that they're wanted by my sons.
Rog
raprice22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #23
jm29henry

you might think of this differently.We are just care takers of these cars .We love them we take care of them and after we are gone a new care taker will come along and care for them as we did .Just think how many people know all about where there car has been and what it has gone threw over 80 years ago?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
redmodelt

I guess as long as 'It's your car and no one else better touch or drive' it no one will want it after your gone. If you want to keep it in the family they need to be motivated by being involved that includes your wife, kids or even a relative. If you teach others how to drive it and they are of age, let them drive the car on a few tours boys or girls or even your wife. Let them help you work on it, what ever it takes to get them interested. I am sure there will be times the gears get crunched and your feet hit the imaginary brake pedal.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #25
John LaVoy

It is sad to think about what will become of our hobby as we grow old. But getting younger people interested in the Model A is something all of us need to consider. Like others posting here, my daughters grew up riding in a Model A and show no interest in what happens to the cars. I'm trying to get my grandsons interested, I have taken each of them on and extended tour which they seemed to enjoy. But this is something the whole hobby needs to address.

As a MAFFI trustee if you are looking for a place for your Model A and no family member is interested the foundation can give your estate a tax credit for the value of the Model A. Everyone should keep that consideration in mind if there are no other alternatives. I also want to encourage any of you posting here to visit The Gilmore Complex and tour "OUR" museum it belongs to the Model A community and should be enjoyed by one and all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sedan at museum low res.jpg (48.5 KB, 14 views)
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #26
colin1928

It is not the cars which worry me I know they will be sold to the 1st person to offer cash for about 1/2 what I value them and good luck to who ever get that bargain
I have Barn full of great parts spares for all my cars and my next projects
these will most likely go to scrap metal
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:26 AM   #27
dumb person

lol what's a family?
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
It is not the cars which worry me I know they will be sold to the 1st person to offer cash for about 1/2 what I value them and good luck to who ever get that bargain
I have Barn full of great parts spares for all my cars and my next projects
these will most likely go to scrap metal
Hell no, Do something with them even if you only clean them up & paint or them with WD40 with neat tags cataloging what they are & stack them on a shelf (gift wrapped?) people will see them as something good.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
It is sad to think about what will become of our hobby as we grow old. But getting younger people interested in the Model A is something all of us need to consider. Like others posting here, my daughters grew up riding in a Model A and show no interest in what happens to the cars. I'm trying to get my grandsons interested, I have taken each of them on and extended tour which they seemed to enjoy. But this is something the whole hobby needs to address.

As a MAFFI trustee if you are looking for a place for your Model A and no family member is interested the foundation can give your estate a tax credit for the value of the Model A. Everyone should keep that consideration in mind if there are no other alternatives. I also want to encourage any of you posting here to visit The Gilmore Complex and tour "OUR" museum it belongs to the Model A community and should be enjoyed by one and all!
That would be my vote!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #29
pooch

My son says as soon as I am dead, he will get my two rods with V6/s in them and rip them both out and put V8/s in them.

I wonder what he has in mind for my original unrestored 28 ?

My daughter reckons my original one is a POS, but she has mixed feelings over the rods.

She will use one of my cars in her soon to be wedding,

I am not sure if she wants to herself, or just the fact old cars are my life.

Funny thing is, if I sell the original in a week's time, she will have to go to the wedding in the back of the 28 CCPU.

Like Granny Clampett...but to my amazement she is fine with that.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #30
Fred K-OR

Must be another January type posting. Cheer up spring is coming!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #31
TAG29A

A few years ago my dad gave me his A which was his first car he bought in 1955. I grew up with that car and learned alot about cars working with him. He has 3 kids so he bought 2 more A's so he can leave one to each kid, but I was the lucky one to get the one he has had the longest. Luckly i have 2 boys that love my A, I think my 10 year old could start it by himself, so I think dad's first car will be in good hands when I am gone.
TAG29A is offline   Reply With Quote