Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #21
JimNNN

Default Re: Odometer reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post
The numerals do not line up.

For many decades that was always the rule of thumb around these parts: If the digits on the odometer don't line up, chances are it's been jacked with. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I do know that I've had at least a couple of cars with somewhat misaligned digits that were very unlikely to have had their odometers altered. I think one of them was a one year old '94 Chevy S-10 that I bought with only 5000 miles from a reputable new car dealer. I put about 150,000 miles on it. As the miles racked up over the years, the digits kind of got out of line with each other. That's how I remember it, anyway.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #22
55blacktie

Default Re: Odometer reset

I'm doing a pretty thorough body-on restoration on my 55 Tbird. My odometer currently reads 83,000. Although the car has been in my family for 50 years (I think my dad was the 2nd owner), and has spend most of those 50 years inside the garage, the car could possibly have 183,000 miles. In California, the odometer mileage is disregarded after a car reaches 10 years of age. In my case, I don't intend to reset the odometer. I know what I have, and so will any knowledgeable buyer if I ever sell it.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)