Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
7_Zero

Default Club Gifts, Prizes and Awards

The end of the year is fast approaching and I am looking for ideas for gifts and prizes for our club's end of year celebration.

1. What kind of gifts or prizes does your club give to its members?
2. What kind of gifts does your club give to board members?
3. What kind of awards do you give out?
4. What do you do for your end of year celebration?

1. In past years our club has given out bottles of Martinelli's sparkling cider, automotive signs and wall decor from Hobby Lobby, custom artwork, reprints of Model A posters, Model A ornaments, and gift certificates from various Model A vendors. Last year we put together a distributor kit that contained mini feeler gauges, a points file, small screwdriver and distributor cam lube. This was a big hit since most of us are new to Model A’s and did not have those tools.

This year we are thinking about adding a timing wrench and circuit tester to last years kit. We were also toying with tire patch kits, tire pressure gauges, or a first aid kit. These are not set in stone as we are still looking for ideas.

2. Our budget has been quite small so we have not really given gifts to our board members. Last year a member provided clocks, made of a piston and connecting rod, to all board members past and present. It was nice to be able to finally give them something to show appreciation for their hard work.

3. We have not presented many awards, but would like to change that. In the past we have given framed certificates of appreciation to those who have done seminars or presentations throughout the year. We also did some random funny home made awards just for fun.

It would be nice to have some more meaningful awards to present, like a service award, special appreciation for someone, or recognition for an accomplishment etc. There are a select few in the club that carry the bulk of the weight. They definitely deserve the recognition but most awards we can think of would go to those people every year and we worry that it would just discourage other members as they cannot provide the level of service that these few members provide. So we are looking for ideas that would include members of all levels of dedication.

This year we had a club mileage goal and are attempting to get the MAFCA Mileage award. We are making some small awards to give to those who acquired the most miles. Other than that, we do not really have any awards to present.

4. For our celebration we have a dinner at a restaurant, show a slideshow of the years events, and announce our new board. Last year we dressed in era attire and held a game show to test our knowledge and have a little friendly competition.

I would love to hear about what you or your club has done. If you have repurposed Model A parts for gifts and prizes, I would love to hear about those! If you do something fun and unique at your party, please let us know!

Thank you for your ideas! I hope that this thread might help others looking for ideas too.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Club Gifts, Prizes and Awards

Frank Pollack had a great victor Page maintenance and trouble shooting poster. I got one for the club as a year end prize. This was October of last year.
Maybe he will respond. I tried a search. Guess I will contact him the old fashion way thru the mafca roster.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
frank55a

Bob,

Thank you for your kind words.

The ad for the posters has been posted here on the Fordbarn Swap Meet page for several years, I moved it back to the top.

Below are the two posters I have available, see my ad on the swap meet page for a description and more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chart1FB.jpg (125.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ChartNewFord.jpg (63.7 KB, 161 views)
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Brentwood Bob

One of my rebuild zeniths, or one of my rebuilt starter switches, or one of my good, cleaned up starter drives (bendix) would also be appropriate.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
Ken B

I have given the laminated shop drawings that are available from MAFCA to some Model A friends. They are very nice and reasonably priced.
https://www.mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=177
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
mercman from oz

Features of the New Ford
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
redmodelt

When it comes to prizes, remember not all the winners or recipients are men, lots of wives too. When we have club meetings, we have door prizes, so the prizes cover both men and women, but candy or treats of some kind are great for both!
Old 09-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #8
McMimmcs

My business sponsors many events. I find the perfect gifts are quality fire extinguishers. Needed by many and appreciated by most. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #9
redmodelt

I am a member of Rose City Model T club, we might do things a little different;
1. What kind of gifts or prizes does your club give to its members?
See my post above

2. What kind of gifts does your club give to board members?
None, we have club officers but no board members.

3. What kind of awards do you give out?
Tour awards, 10 charities are drawn and each given $100

4. What do you do for your end of year celebration?
Our club has several banquets through the year: tour planing, sometimes one in the spring, Fall banquet and Christmas party. Tour awards are normally given at the fall banquet, along with installing new officers. Gifts for the kids at the Christmas party.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:52 AM   #10
Clem Clement

During the touring season, members look for local stuff like jams, jellies, blanket's , hats etc.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #11
7_Zero

Thanks for the ideas, I really like the fire extinguisher idea, that would be something great to have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
When it comes to prizes, remember not all the winners or recipients are men, lots of wives too....
That is a very good point, I did not think of that!

Can you expound on your tour awards? What are they and what are the requirements to receive it?
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
redmodelt

Re tours: Everyone gets a tour award that goes on club tours, a small refrigerator magnet with the year on it. If club puts on 10 tours and you get for example 7 tours, you get a little better trophie and if you get all 10 the trophies and a monetary reward (2018 I got a commemorative silver dollar). We also give a stipend for anyone that leads a tour, which is about $25.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #13
Gene F

Something a person tends not to have, or buy for themselves. A couple of 1/2 hour road flares (NAPA) to throw under the seat. They last forever... Besides, I hate giving something that takes time ot put on the car, and thus ends up living on the workbench.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote