Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Chris in WNC

Default 3-digit engine numbers......

some years ago, I acquired a list of all the known Model As with 3-digit engine numbers.

yesterday when looking for something else, I found the list and wondered if it is still being maintained and have additional vehicles been added to it?

just curious,
Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: 3-digit engine numbers......

Maybe you could share now or reference online the list?

Yunno - so we can all check to see if we have anything to add?

There may be "lurkers" out there which are not part of the list. Maybe even 4 digit numbers which should be added?

Or even five?

I myself have an unstamped/unground Model A block. I was planning on stamping it 20,000,001 - just for conversation sake. Maybe I should pick a lower number - like No. 4? Only a rare few could tell it to be faux.

And I don't want to pick a number already extant - that would be lying and could get me in trouble.

Except in Cow Hampshire.

Joe K
Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Chris in WNC

don't have a digital copy of the list but I'll scan it and try to post when I can find the time....
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Maybe you could share now or reference online the list?

Yunno - so we can all check to see if we have anything to add?

There may be "lurkers" out there which are not part of the list. Maybe even 4 digit numbers which should be added?

Or even five?

I myself have an unstamped/unground Model A block. I was planning on stamping it 20,000,001 - just for conversation sake. Maybe I should pick a lower number - like No. 4? Only a rare few could tell it to be faux.

And I don't want to pick a number already extant - that would be lying and could get me in trouble.

Except in Cow Hampshire.

Joe K
Joe, I am sure your comment is said tongue in cheek about picking a low number, ....but I am curious how you plan to address the early casting differences such as the larger ID pad or the different style accelerator assy. mounting holes bosses?

Just a FWIW, there was a time when privacy on such sensitive items was never given a second thought, but now items like rosters or registries that list personal contact info along with serial or identification information has been a concern for many hobbyists. I know I am part of two special marque registries, -one of which lists information on all the early Maxwell automobile owners, and it has created quite the controversy of who should have access to the list. There are some members of the Maxwell social media and forum pages that do not own a early Maxwell but have a sincere interest in those 1905-1915 Maxwells who would like a copy. Others feel you must own one first and be on the list to be eligible to receive the list. Some have threatened to make copies for the ones it has been withheld from. I don't have the correct answer but the topic is worth thinking about.

Chris, I am guessing that list originated from Doc. Have you contacted Deron or Dean to ask them?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
jhowes

Brent; I have a friend that has an early Maxwell, I think an 11 and I would bet that he knows nothing about the group that you are referencing. If you think it makes sense give me some contact information that I can give him. Don't use the PM system as I can't seem to be able to use it reliably. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Brent; I have a friend that has an early Maxwell, I think an 11 and I would bet that he knows nothing about the group that you are referencing. If you think it makes sense give me some contact information that I can give him. Don't use the PM system as I can't seem to be able to use it reliably. Jack

Point your friend to these two places...

http://maxwellautomobiles.proboards.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1863711890535485/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Joe K

Tongue in cheek my comments were - although that 20000001 number is approachable. And yes, who but a student of Model A engine casting variation would know about ANY early number. To 99.8 percent of the population they would never know other than "its an old car."

And yes, security is a concern for those of membership of any roster. The Stanley Steamer Roster used to be more heavily populated and available until widespread dissemination through the Internet caused "privacy options" to be added to the roster. At my last examination of the roster, fully a third of the cars are listed "Private Owner."

And one can understand this. Owners of Stanley Steamers got that way because of their surplus of discretionary time (dollars are the same) and those with surplus are frequently called upon to share by fair means - or foul. And one can avoid the hassle by privacy. An increasingly rare item itself - no longer in surplus. And difficult to buy once lost.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 06-06-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote