Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
ebrocks55

Post 1935 Ford Mechanical Brake Parts Availability

Hi All, I am currently restoring my great grandfathers 1935 ford pickup. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I am currently working on the Mechanical Brakes and am having issues finding replacement parts. Where are good places to get parts for these Brakes? I have tried Mac's and they seem to be carrying fewer and fewer parts for the '35 .
ebrocks55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Jason in TX

Default Re: 1935 Ford Mechanical Brake Parts Availability

what are you looking for specifically? I have some 1935 backing plates and brake shoes that will need new linings that I wont be using that can be for sale.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have you checked with Barnfind08 here on the Barn?

[email protected]

http://www.southsideobsolete.com/Sou...e/Welcome.html

Last edited by JSeery; 03-20-2019 at 04:01 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Kerk

TRY jOES ANTIQUE pARTS in Uxbridge, Ma . he had what I needed for same vehicle , do not have his info right now. Will get it and re-post Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
TRY jOES ANTIQUE pARTS in Uxbridge, Ma . he had what I needed for same vehicle , do not have his info right now. Will get it and re-post Kerk
https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/
267 Hartford Ave W, Uxbridge, MA 01569
(508) 278-3980

If Joe doesn't have what you need he'll help you find who does.
Other possible sources are C&G in Escondido and the Early Ford Store in San Dimas.

I've dealt with all 3 but Joe is my go to guy.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Brian

Michael Driscoll; [35fordtn] on here
Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
DavidG

It's Driskell (thirdgenautomotive.com). Michael can help you with NOS brake parts. Given the importance of their function and the questionable metallurgy of replacement parts, I strongly recommend that you stick to NOS Ford parts for your brake system (and for any steering parts that you need). Go is in third place after stop and steer.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
B-O-B

All Ford Parts - Campbell, CA are good guys to help you also.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:56 AM   #9
Mike in AZ

And welcome to the ‘Barn. Early V-8 Garage in CA. Conversion kits but has original parts also. Good luck. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
oldandtired

ebrocks55...If you have a list of what you need, please post the list of the parts in the parts wanted section of Fordbarn. I have some NOS 35 brake parts, no complete brake setups, that I have no use for, but absent a list do not know if I have what you are seeking.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
ebrocks55

WOW! thanks for all the replys and the help. I am mainly looking for NOS or Relined shoes and new front and rear tracks. I will take your advice and post also in the parts wanted section. Really appreciate all the help.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
Seth Swoboda

Call Micheal Driskell at Third Gen Automotive or Fred Willner at South Side Obsolete Parts. You will not be disappointed either way.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrocks55 View Post
Hi All, I am currently restoring my great grandfathers 1935 ford pickup. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I am currently working on the Mechanical Brakes and am having issues finding replacement parts. Where are good places to get parts for these Brakes? I have tried Mac's and they seem to be carrying fewer and fewer parts for the '35 .

I am mainly looking for NOS or Relined shoes and new front and rear tracks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "front and rear tracks".....maybe brake rod supports?

As you go through the complete mechanical braking system, make sure you repair or replace ALL worn components. This might seem like an obvious statement to most folks, but many overlook things like the cross shaft bolted in center of X member where all rods attach, the brake shoe operating lever assemblies and bearings on each backing plate, brake shoe expanding wedges and rollers, all clevis and brake rod pins, etc. Any of these worn parts left in place will hinder brake adjustment and function.

Brake floaters/equalizers are another improvement addition to consider for the early mechanical braking system.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
KiWinUS

John has it covered. These mechanical brakes when rebuilt correctly can lock all 4 wheels at any speed but more importantly can be modulated for comfort driving
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
ebrocks55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "front and rear tracks".....maybe brake rod supports?

As you go through the complete mechanical braking system, make sure you repair or replace ALL worn components. This might seem like an obvious statement to most folks, but many overlook things like the cross shaft bolted in center of X member where all rods attach, the brake shoe operating lever assemblies and bearings on each backing plate, brake shoe expanding wedges and rollers, all clevis and brake rod pins, etc. Any of these worn parts left in place will hinder brake adjustment and function.

Brake floaters/equalizers are another improvement addition to consider for the early mechanical braking system.
Thanks John, the cross shaft completely slipped my mind. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on terminology but what is the part called that the brake shoe rollers ride on?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #16
cas3

tracks i've always called em. not sure about 35, but my 34 rollers and pins are the same as model a's. easy to get. southside obsolete may have nos parts for you, and i think you will have to weld up the tracks and grind them flat again
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrocks55 View Post
Thanks John, the cross shaft completely slipped my mind. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on terminology but what is the part called that the brake shoe rollers ride on?
I believe what you are calling tracks are what I call "wedges" and some of my repair manuals call them brake "operating wedges". They tend to wear along either side where they contact the rollers that are mounted on pins at the bottom of the brake shoes.

As some have already mentioned, posting a list of parts needed, along with pictures would be very helpful. If you have problems posting pictures, there are members here who would be willing to help you with that, or post them for you.

The brake cross shaft can be rebuilt by using oil impregnated bronze bushings and a new center shaft. It is also possible at times to find complete NOS cross shaft assemblies at a reasonable price.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
Kerk

Smile Re: 1935 Ford Mechanical Brake Parts Availability

35 Brake Cross shaft. When I first got the phaeton Iknew the brakes were a problem having driven it many times. The first thing I did was to get a New old Stock cross and changed it .That made a huge difference in the amount of pedal available and much better brakes. Then replaced most if not all Clevis pins.... When I took Lou Grasso for a ride he inquired how were the brakes. I said hold on and I will show you. He said YAA I did ine i these so I know, He was really surprised when I stepped on the pedal .. Enough.said! Take out all the worn parts and adjust & they work fine. My 32 & charlie's 34 worked fine on trip out to Hood River Oregon V 8 meet. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #19
ebrocks55

Thanks again guys. Im gonna go through the cross shaft, clevis' and clevis pins. I will update with a list as soon as i get that done. Again thanks for all the helpful insight
Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #20
VeryTangled

ebrocks55, Welcome to the FordBarn Forums!

JM35 and I have recently done some of this brake work on my 35 Fordoor. Replaced cross shaft with one my dear old Dad had fully refurbed a decade ago, all new clevis pins, 100% straight rods without elongated holes.

To answer your original question, get all your parts from thirdgenautomotive.com send PM's to 35Fordtn because he's a member here: https://fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=7302

Personally I stay away from most parts that are not real Ford unless it is something like pins that all the old ones are worse than what you've got.

Be prepared for about six to ten brake adjustment sessions before it's 100% dialed in, some with all four wheels in the air. Then again rather frequently as you drive it.

I've still got sessions to complete, checking the shoes, bearings, wedges & rollers. And will likely be installing the equalizers.

This will give any driver much more road-trip confidence!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 03-22-2019 at 07:59 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote