Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: minor nitpicking (again) - Restorer magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Well, sum call them Model As & sum call them A Models, whuts the BIG deal?
Bill W.
I was thinking the same thing
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #22
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
Chris, if you're so attentive to detal, you should be aware the editor has had serious health problems the last several months. GROW UP and contribute something worthwhile to the forum, while keeping your self-grandising criticism to yourself.

You hit my hot button, so I had to speak up.
Amen, for sure ! I totally agree with you as do many others !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Can't be cabin fever.........it's not winter yet!

But I am starting to miss the longer days already.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
Fred K-OR

Must be hot outside. Have to stay inside and sit by the computer and type comments on Ford Barn.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
todd3131

The nit picking is what gives Model A restorer a bad rap in the larger collector car world.
My personal love is a model a but I restore many other brands and I never ever have a Buick, Chevy, early v8 guy to name a few, come up and pick through a car like some model a guys. I am a proponent for accurate restorations as much as the next guy, but unless I am purchasing a car I never pick someones car apart or his nomenclature.

So if you want to call it a 400A or A400 or a convertible sedan it is all good.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
willobs

Join MARC never a mistake, or mabee I am not smart enough to notice, or enjoy any A material!
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #27
Pickupman

Quote:
Chris, if you're so attentive to detal, you should be aware the editor has had serious health problems the last several months. GROW UP and contribute something worthwhile to the forum, while keeping your self-grandising criticism to yourself.

You need to get your facts correct. The editor of the Restorer Magazine has not had any health problems the last several months that I'm aware of.
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #28
fiddlybits

Quote:

Ummm.. isn't "The Restorer" MAFCA?

The "Model A News" is MARC and has the editor with health issues.

Anyway.... 400A or A400 or a convertible sedan? Give me a flippin break. They are all Model A Fords...or is it Ford Model A's... or Model A's...or A's .. or ... hey, they are all just kewl old CARS.

I feel sorry for those that get their undies in a bunch over things that small for they are going to miss out on a lot of fun in life.

I don't belong to the 'left coast' group so I haven't seen the mag, but I'll bet overall it was an issue that was fun to read. Too bad the whole issue was destroyed for Chris by such a trivial item. (sarcasm-just another free service I provide)

"Blessed are the Flexible, For they shall never be bent out of shape. - dlm"
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlybits View Post
Ummm.. isn't "The Restorer" MAFCA?

The "Model A News" is MARC and has the editor with health issues.

Anyway.... 400A or A400 or a convertible sedan? Give me a flippin break. They are all Model A Fords...or is it Ford Model A's... or Model A's...or A's .. or ... hey, they are all just kewl old CARS.

I feel sorry for those that get their undies in a bunch over things that small for they are going to miss out on a lot of fun in life.

I don't belong to the 'left coast' group so I haven't seen the mag, but I'll bet overall it was an issue that was fun to read. Too bad the whole issue was destroyed for Chris by such a trivial item. (sarcasm-just another free service I provide)

"Blessed are the Flexible, For they shall never be bent out of shape. - dlm"
damn it get it right,, its depends not undies GEEEZ

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-29-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
The nit picking is what gives Model A restorer a bad rap in the larger collector car world.
My personal love is a model a but I restore many other brands and I never ever have a Buick, Chevy, early v8 guy to name a few, come up and pick through a car like some model a guys. I am a proponent for accurate restorations as much as the next guy, but unless I am purchasing a car I never pick someones car apart or his nomenclature.

So if you want to call it a 400A or A400 or a convertible sedan it is all good.
In your first post, You asked a Question ?/ I answered it !!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #31
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
damn it get it right,, its depends not undies GEEEZ
Sorry....forgot my audience.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlybits View Post
Sorry....forgot my audience.
you should have received your free complimentary box at 100 posts when you become a SENIOR member...
i am in charge of sending them out:::
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
you should have received your free complimentary box at 100 posts when you become a SENIOR member...
i am in charge of sending them out:::
But I'm not a senior........and... I suffer the Peter Pan syndrome to boot. (I won't grow up)
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #34
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I was thinking the same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
In your first post, You asked a Question ?/ I answered it !!
The second post has nothing to do with your response or the question that I posed to it, just a observation of the nitpicking as a whole.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #35
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: One Senior Attitude.

I really don't think Chris meant to personally harm anyone, nor did anyone who commented on his post; appears what is written can always be corrected without a problem; however, over the past several years I have developed an attitude that I never had before which goes something like this:

For example, yesterday it was announced that according to the latest census information gathered .............. 33% of people in the United States, (legal or illegal), are either on welfare ........ or food stamps ........... or both.

Lately, when I see "working" Americans such as those trying to put a vintage vehicle magazine together which is full of detailed archaic terminology, I feel like giving them all a big hug & humbly praising them for refusing to join our newly "created" generation of "idle" welfare American Bums doing drugs, always getting into trouble, & squandering away life's contributions that we all share in helping others on forums like this one.

Just one senior American's new 2014 attitude.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #36
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I read Ford Barn posts to learn more about Model As. This thread is "much ado about nothing".
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #37
Marshall V. Daut

To answer one of the original questions posted throughout this thread, the term "A400" or "A-400" (depending upon the typesetter) originated in the late 1950's with Ed Rossig and the guy he took over for in the "A-400 Group". It was an informal special interest "club" for Convertible Sedan (Ford nomenclature: 400-A) owners. The body style number (400) was also the designation at the time for the 400 socially elite "Who's Who" in Boston (or Massachusetts?) society. "Mr. A-400" Ed Rossig was from the Boston area and thought that because the Convertible Sedan body style represented the ultimate high class body available in passenger cars by that time (Town Cars were gone), the number of the social group should be somehow transplanted to the Model A elite club. Why the "A" was transposed to the beginning instead of left at the end of the 400-A designation is something I don't recall. Ed did explain the reason in an early club newsletter, which has been re-printed in the "Restorer" over the years on occasion. The A-400 or 400-A club is still alive and well with an excellent newsletter, so it may be one of, if not THE, oldest special interest clubs within the MAFCA organization going back to 1957 or so.
I doubt that anyone will be able to stamp out the now accepted "A-400" colloquial designation for the Convertible Sedan in our lifetime. It falls more trippingly from the tongue than "400-A" and is FAR easier to say than "Convertible Sedan", which many people mistakenly try to correct the speaker by asking: "Don't you mean 'Phaeton'?"
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #38
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
To answer one of the original questions posted throughout this thread, the term "A400" or "A-400" (depending upon the typesetter) originated in the late 1950's with Ed Rossig and the guy he took over for in the "A-400 Group". It was an informal special interest "club" for Convertible Sedan (Ford nomenclature: 400-A) owners. The body style number (400) was also the designation at the time for the 400 socially elite "Who's Who" in Boston (or Massachusetts?) society. "Mr. A-400" Ed Rossig was from the Boston area and thought that because the Convertible Sedan body style represented the ultimate high class body available in passenger cars by that time (Town Cars were gone), the number of the social group should be somehow transplanted to the Model A elite club. Why the "A" was transposed to the beginning instead of left at the end of the 400-A designation is something I don't recall. Ed did explain the reason in an early club newsletter, which has been re-printed in the "Restorer" over the years on occasion. The A-400 or 400-A club is still alive and well with an excellent newsletter, so it may be one of, if not THE, oldest special interest clubs within the MAFCA organization going back to 1957 or so.
I doubt that anyone will be able to stamp out the now accepted "A-400" colloquial designation for the Convertible Sedan in our lifetime. It falls more trippingly from the tongue than "400-A" and is FAR easier to say than "Convertible Sedan", which many people mistakenly try to correct the speaker by asking: "Don't you mean 'Phaeton'?"
Marshall

Thank you that is an excellent explanation.
Todd
Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #39
zzlegend

SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,H ow's everyone doing? Beautiful day isn't it?
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #40
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
I read Ford Barn posts to learn more about Model As. This thread is "much ado about nothing".
X two !
That is unless you take umbrage at being called an 'average goober', and about 'beating poor dead horse'. What the heck is an 'average goober' anyway ? And , while at it, what's 'average' ? Maybe like an average goober / poster here ? And comparing the Restorer to a 'poor dead horse'. It that's how a person truly feels about the magazine ..why even bother with a beating ? The post begs for controversy ..and is getting it..facts/civility be damned. But, IMO, the disrespectful /rude posts towards another member...average goober or not...are not allowed and Cob will probably /hopefully be 'knocking' on your door !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote