Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
jkeesey

Default Model A parts at Autozone?!

As the title states I just found out you can purchase several Model A tune up parts at autozone of all places. I walked in figuring I would play a joke on the counter guy and asked for a coil for a 30 A. He looked it up and low and behold the coil was in stock. What surprised me most was it wasn't a 12v external resistor coil like all the major A parts suppliers pawn off. It is labeled specifically 6v and has a lifetime warrantee. I checked their website and they can apparently get condensors, rotors, possibly points, new cutouts and a few other little things. Just something good to know if your out cruising and need a part asap. You may not have to order it from several states away.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Franchise_24

Default Re: Model A parts at Autozone?!

Napa also still carries some stuff.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
azmodela
BANNED

Looks like the joke was on you!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
As the title states I just found out you can purchase several Model A tune up parts at autozone of all places. I walked in figuring I would play a joke on the counter guy and asked for a coil for a 30 A. He looked it up and low and behold the coil was in stock. What surprised me most was it wasn't a 12v external resistor coil like all the major A parts suppliers pawn off. It is labeled specifically 6v and has a lifetime warrantee. I checked their website and they can apparently get condensors, rotors, possibly points, new cutouts and a few other little things. Just something good to know if your out cruising and need a part asap. You may not have to order it from several states away.
They must be getting better. I couldn't even get a fan belt for my AA at Auto Zone and I had parts numbers that they should have been able to cross referance. A lot depends on where the store is and who runs it.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
rlh37ford

[QUOTE=jkeesey;882205]As the title states I just found out you can purchase several Model A tune up parts at autozone of all places. I walked in figuring I would play a joke on the counter guy and asked for a coil for a 30 A. He looked it up and low and behold the coil was in stock. What surprised me most was it wasn't a 12v external resistor coil like all the major A parts suppliers pawn off. It is labeled specifically 6v and has a lifetime warrantee.

Looks promising, but what are you doing for a bracket since the autozone web site shows the coil w/o an integral bracket?
rlh37ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
jkeesey

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The one on the car had the old universal bracket with the cinch screw in the back. The coil is slightly shorter and a blue gray color but other than that it fit like a glove.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Terry,NJ

We have a Ford Tractor dealer up in Richland (Just outside of Quakertown) that has some 6V stuff too. I recently got a set of plugs, Autolite 3076, at Advanced A.P.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
roccaas

Oreillys also carries the 6 volt coil (for old Jeeps) and a good parts guy will measure your fan belt and give you their cross reference number for traveling out of town.

70s FOMOCO distributor parts are available if you've made the conversion.

6 volt wet batteries are getting EXPENSIVE!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
We have a Ford Tractor dealer up in Richland (Just outside of Quakertown) that has some 6V stuff too. I recently got a set of plugs, Autolite 3076, at Advanced A.P.
Terry
Be aware that the six volt tractor coils are oil filled The coils used on the 8N tractors were oil filled and mounted with the tower and wire connections pointing up. I stocked up with six volt coils from the Ford tractor dealer, I didn't know the difference between oil filled and epoxy filled coils at the time. The oil filled coils didn't last very long when mounted in the usual way on my model A. Its always best to shake the coil before mounting, You can feel the oil sloshing inside when you shake an oil filled coil. If an oil filled coil must be used , mount it with the tower pointing up and it will work ok.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
The one on the car had the old universal bracket with the cinch screw in the back. The coil is slightly shorter and a blue gray color but other than that it fit like a glove.
Are the Auto Zone six volt coils oil filled ?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
jkeesey

Yes they are. The lifetime warrantee is the part I like. If you go to the website and add a vehicle to the top as a 30 or 31 A it will show you all the parts they have available.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
Oreillys also carries the 6 volt coil (for old Jeeps) and a good parts guy will measure your fan belt and give you their cross reference number for traveling out of town.

70s FOMOCO distributor parts are available if you've made the conversion.

6 volt wet batteries are getting EXPENSIVE!
Most of the old, real parts men have either retired or passed away. Auto Zone couldn't even cross referance the common 700 Gates number, said they had never heard of it. I had a list of belt numbers that I had copied here and they couldn't cross referance any of them. I've got model A's but didn't want to remove a belt for referance . I called Snyders and had a belt in a couple of days.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
1967 Ford

I have had good luck with NAPA and Carquest for old car parts. I never had much luck with Autozone. I don't even bother to check there anymore. Maybe they are getting better or carry different stuff in different parts of the country.
1967 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Terry,NJ

Thanks Purdy, I did not know that.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Be aware that the six volt tractor coils are oil filled The coils used on the 8N tractors were oil filled and mounted with the tower and wire connections pointing up. I stocked up with six volt coils from the Ford tractor dealer, I didn't know the difference between oil filled and epoxy filled coils at the time. The oil filled coils didn't last very long when mounted in the usual way on my model A. Its always best to shake the coil before mounting, You can feel the oil sloshing inside when you shake an oil filled coil. If an oil filled coil must be used , mount it with the tower pointing up and it will work ok.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
cfbcovers

Napa does have points
cfbcovers is offline   Reply With Quote